Soundgarden's touring drummer is now Matt C..

AllenS

No, not Cameron. The other Matt C...;)

According to Brazilian news portal O Globo (and other sources), the (replacement) drummer is none other than Matt Chamberlain, who has toured with Tori Amos for years now, but is also known for playing with Pearl Jam in the early 90′s and his extensive list of studio contributions. More recently, he recorded some drum tracks on bassist Ben Shepherd’s solo debut, which makes him an obvious connection.
http://www.antiquiet.com/music/2014/03/soundgarden-new-drummer-matt-chamberlain/

Both share the same first name and last initial, both are great players, both will have now played in the same two legendary Seattle bands from the early 90s scene. Pretty cool, eh?

opentune

Platinum Member
tricky. now, i wish somebody would get/hire Dave Krusen in their band, the very original drummer for Pearl Jam on the Ten album.

AllenS

tricky. now, i wish somebody would get/hire Dave Krusen in their band, the very original drummer for Pearl Jam on the Ten album.
IIRC, he was a member of Candlebox in the mid-90s and is now mainly a studio/session player in the Seattle area.

WhoIsTony?

he was in Unified Theory for a while .... a band I was in used to tour with them a bunch

great dude

he was one of the first cats I knew who used hybrid cymbals

his playing on those Unified Theory albums is fantastic

http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Instead+Of+Running/36qmpD?src=5

love his playing in that tune

watching him play every night on tour was an absolute pleasure

Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
One of the best albums of all time in my opinion, and this is coming from a metal head. While I feel that Abbruzzese was a technically better drummer, Krusen's overall feel on the album can't be matched.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Actually prefer listening to PJ with either of the Dave's. Krusen just seemed to offer up such perfect percussive compositions on that first album. Great snare sound and the drums really popped out at you. But I also really dig those thick grooves that Abbbbrrrrusssseeeezzzzeee laid down on VS. Happy with either of 'em in that band. I find there was so much more "swing" and natural groove on those first couple of albums that they have progressively lost over the years. I just don't hear nearly as much of that with Matt Cameron's approach. I find him so much straighter.....very heavy on the "one" (especially live).....which incidently, I think suits Soundgarden far better than it does Pearl Jam.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of them all and I'd give my right arm to come up with parts as creative as any of them, but I definitely prefer MC in a Soundgarden setting. I just think his natural style suits their arrangements so much better. Dissappointing he's had to opt out for this tour.....to me it's the musical vehicle that suits him best.

opentune

Platinum Member
Actually prefer listening to PJ with either of the Dave's.

I definitely prefer MC in a Soundgarden setting. I just think his natural style suits their arrangements so much better. Dissappointing he's had to opt out for this tour.....to me it's the musical vehicle that suits him best.
Totally agree. I prefer the Jack Irons stuff over the MC too, for PJ.
All those PJ albums have such a different feel with 4 different drummers.
On the other hand, I too can't imagine SG without Matt's sound, maybe only with Brad Wilk.

JerryOnDrums

Totally agree. I prefer the Jack Irons stuff over the MC too, for PJ.
All those PJ albums have such a different feel with 4 different drummers.
On the other hand, I too can't imagine SG without Matt's sound, maybe only with Brad Wilk.
Wowza! As a huge SG and Rage fan, I never even *thought* about Wilk playing with SG. But damn, now that you mention it, that would be so amazing...