sound proofing cost in condo/garage?

averageguy

I'm seriously thinking of buying a condo. It would be one of the types that is more of a home with a very small yard but the garages are usually attached. I would (probably) only buy one with a corner unit, so that the garage would be stand alone and not connected to another garage etc (if that makes sense?) So like a unit at the end of one of the streets in the development area, I've seen them so I know some like that exist. If I were able to find one like that I'd be willing to put up to $10,000 into sound proofing that garage to put my acoustic kit in there and blast away, even at night etc.

Does anyone have an idea if that amount of money would do it? I'm a rock player and I'm pretty loud (think Van Halen etc). It seems to me from the limited preliminary research I've done $10k would be enough, but if anyone has any experience I would greatly appreciate your input. Thank you in advance!

I also forgot to ask, does anyone have experience with whether or not the HOA would kick up a fuss about sound proofing the garage in my aforementioned scenario? Would it just depend on each individual HOA and their specific rules?

There was a recent thread with some good info. Not sure about the HOA issues. Budget depends on lots of factors but it won’t be cheap to do it correctly.

I'm seriously thinking of buying a condo. It would be one of the types that is more of a home with a very small yard but the garages are usually attached. I would (probably) only buy one with a corner unit, so that the garage would be stand alone and not connected to another garage etc (if that makes sense?) So like a unit at the end of one of the streets in the development area, I've seen them so I know some like that exist. If I were able to find one like that I'd be willing to put up to $10,000 into sound proofing that garage to put my acoustic kit in there and blast away, even at night etc.

Does anyone have an idea if that amount of money would do it? I'm a rock player and I'm pretty loud (think Van Halen etc). It seems to me from the limited preliminary research I've done $10k would be enough, but if anyone has any experience I would greatly appreciate your input. Thank you in advance!
$10k is nowhere near enough to soundproof such that you could blast metal licks as loud as you like. Real, actual soundproofing would probably run you $30-40k for a baseline "good enough" amount of soundproofing, or you could get a WhisperRoom-type enclosure for that same amount of money.

The thread we're referencing is here: https://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php?threads/jeff-randall-on-soundproofing-a-room.187917/. Before you buy the condo, or spend any money, I seriously suggest you check out Jeff's videos and draw your own conclusions. True soundproofing is NOT cheap, and if you don't spend the full amount you probably won't really get any true results. I hate to be a downer, but it is what it is - and I've been pricing out construction costs vs. WhisperRoom costs myself for quite some time.

I also forgot to ask, does anyone have experience with whether or not the HOA would kick up a fuss about sound proofing the garage in my aforementioned scenario? Would it just depend on each individual HOA and their specific rules?
I would be hard pressed to imagine any condo HOA being cool with anything close to what it would take to contain the sound of a drum set.

You'll really wanting to investigate each specific HOA - certainly get a copy of the CC&R's - which some will be reluctant to give ((though beware, those can change over time if the HOA chooses to do so). Even if the location/placement is reasonable - the HOA may not be reasonable at all.

Personally - as a drummer who wants/needs to be able to record at home - I've lucky enough to be successful in my mission to never end up under the rule of an HOA. Which when we were searching for a new place 5 years ago left giant swatches of neighborhoods and areas off the table.

$10k is nowhere near enough to soundproof such that you could blast metal licks as loud as you like. Real, actual soundproofing would probably run you $30-40k for a baseline "good enough" amount of soundproofing, or you could get a WhisperRoom-type enclosure for that same amount of money.

The thread we're referencing is here: https://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php?threads/jeff-randall-on-soundproofing-a-room.187917/. Before you buy the condo, or spend any money, I seriously suggest you check out Jeff's videos and draw your own conclusions. True soundproofing is NOT cheap, and if you don't spend the full amount you probably won't really get any true results. I hate to be a downer, but it is what it is - and I've been pricing out construction costs vs. WhisperRoom costs myself for quite some time.
That's a great thread. Also my new turn-too recommended YouTube channel is this guy - here's his convert a garage video...great stuff...

Again getting a condo HOA to sign off??? And for 10k? I doubt it. Actually for condo/HOA situations I would think the WhisperRoom thing might be the best bet - though for a double wall one (which is an absolute must for drums), you're looking at $25k to $35k. And even with that, you'd need to make sure that the HOA doesn't have a rule against filling up the space in the garage where a car should go. Because believe it or not... some have rules exactly like that. (Actually that's not limited to condos, some regular neighborhood HOAs have garage use rules that are that intrusive.

I appreciate everyone's input. Clearly I was mistaken on my guessing, so I suppose it's back to the drawing board. Again, thanks for the info though everybody.

You know there has to be a cheaper way to "somewhat soundproof" a small space for drumming. You could make a plexiglass sealed double walled structure that the inner void within walls of entire structure are connected such you can pump the air out to produce a vacuum in the void surrounding the whole inner drum space-so in theory sound wouldn't transmit effectively through it. Dang I can build it-I see it in my head-there's a glass place that sells plexiglass sheets they will cut to size. Even drill holes in it for me. Maybe just bulld a box big enough to put over one of my big speakers and a big subwoofer to test it out? It won't have doors or ventilation just a sound box for now. I'm betting I'd be disappointed-which is the fate of most of my hair-brained ideas. I just know better-but dang it should work. It might cost a fortune-it's been over a decade since I've bought plexiglass from them?

You know there has to be a cheaper way to "somewhat soundproof" a small space for drumming. You could make a plexiglass sealed double walled structure that the inner void within walls of entire structure are connected such you can pump the air out to produce a vacuum in the void surrounding the whole inner drum space-so in theory sound wouldn't transmit effectively through it. Dang I can build it-I see it in my head-there's a glass place that sells plexiglass sheets they will cut to size. Even drill holes in it for me. Maybe just bulld a box big enough to put over one of my big speakers and a big subwoofer to test it out? It won't have doors or ventilation just a sound box for now. I'm betting I'd be disappointed-which is the fate of most of my hair-brained ideas. I just know better-but dang it should work. It might cost a fortune-it's been over a decade since I've bought plexiglass from them?
Wouldn't your fiberglass sheets have to be extremely thick in order to withstand inner pressure from trying to contain a vacuum? When drywall is really cheap I would think in comparison. Not that you were serious - just entertaining the your thought.

Actually - speaking from The Netherlands and depending on the size of the garage - I think 10K could be a good start for soundproofing.
Check out this link and the attached PDF for a system I used in the past to soundproof a tilted roof of a bedroom:

I can't find current prices but I think the 2.75 mtr 'beams' used to cost around € 100 each.
Then you need (acoustic) foam to put between the beams and finish it off with drywall.
Depending on the amount of soundproofing, you can use thicker or thinner beams and foam.
You would need to calculate additional costs for a (double) door, ventilation, heating, electrical work, maybe a window, etc.

BTW: the architectural firm in the link I posted above used the system to soundproof a concert hall.

Attachments

• 101_AkoestiregelMD_1249.pdf
    4.3 MB · Views: 4
I’m with the “Whisper Room” idea. I visited their booth at NAMM and I think a basic room of maybe 8ft square would run you around 10k - but it would fit inside a garage and would certainly keep the sound of a drumset from overwhelming the neighbors. And there’s the added benefit of not doing anything to the property itself.

Wasn't there someone who built a drum room, including door, out of mattresses? Claimed to be very effective. Ventilation is another problem, especially if the matresses are second hand :0

Wasn't there someone who built a drum room, including door, out of mattresses? Claimed to be very effective. Ventilation is another problem, especially if the matresses are second hand :0
I'm sure there was, but I'm also sure it wasn't soundproof. Two things and two things only create true soundproofing - mass (density of surrounding materials) and/or isolation (i.e. room within a room).

A room filled with mattresses would have gaps where sound could escape and would not have mass enough to prevent sound transmitting through to the walls and then to the outside. I'm sure it sounded acoustically dead inside but it almost certainly didn't help very much outside. Sound treatment of a room does not equal sound proofing a room.

Please trust me when I say there is no way to do this on the cheap (at least, not effectively).

I’m with the “Whisper Room” idea. I visited their booth at NAMM and I think a basic room of maybe 8ft square would run you around 10k - but it would fit inside a garage and would certainly keep the sound of a drumset from overwhelming the neighbors. And there’s the added benefit of not doing anything to the property itself.

Yep, this is what I will be doing in my next house. Looks like you can get an adequate double-walled model for less than $40k and then you have the benefit of dismantling it if you move or decide to sell it.

I agree - though I think to contain drums, the double wall (enhanced) model is essential (the single wall version pretty much stop no low end at all - and that would be the thumping that can carry to three or four houses away) and for an 8x8 - they are about $23,000. Which still for many would likely the best choice.

I agree - though I think to contain drums, the double wall (enhanced) model is essential (the single wall version pretty much stop no low end at all - and that would be the thumping that can carry to three or four houses away) and for an 8x8 - they are about $23,000. Which still for many would likely the best choice.

I stand corrected on the price. The examples they had on display really sold me on the idea because once inside, you literally couldn’t hear the noise coming from the showroom floor!

I appreciate everyone's input. Clearly I was mistaken on my guessing, so I suppose it's back to the drawing board. Again, thanks for the info though everybody.

Yeah, I was surprised by the costs when I first started investigating. The transmission problems you have to solve are sort of fascinating to me and the challenge of making it work is appealing. But for me, a more "ready made" solution makes the most sense.

Last edited:
I stand corrected on the price. The examples they had on display really sold me on the idea because once inside, you literally couldn’t hear the noise coming from the showroom floor!
Good to know Bo, thanks for sharing that.

A drum room/building is on my bucket list. As such, I’ve been reading and watching videos about the subject.

The whisper room is an option. If it is an option for you as well, check out this drummer specific demo.

Back