SOUND GUY small venue

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Me too and it's tragic!
But you know what? If I had a chance to set up my little PA and run sound for a small band for a couple of hours and leave with $70 in my pocket, I'd probably do it. Granted, it wouldn't be a big production, but if it was a smaller venue? Sure, why not?

KamaK

Platinum Member
I know people who gig for about that price. Lots of them.
I'll do $50 + a meal for friends. Quite honestly, doing sound is the easy part. The hard part is dealing with the Rando's. Every time I do sound I have to:

Keep idiots from thinking my area is their own private box seating.
Defend the board and rack from people that think it's OK to set drinks on the desk.
Pretend to be some random woman's husband to ward off a creep.
Deal with the Karen's that take offense to something the band is doing.
Deal with venue customer service (tell customers where the restroom is, explain that I am not able to bring them a tab or serve them, etc).
Macguyver/Figure-out how to run 2000-watts of gear on a single 15AMP circuit that also hosts the ice machine.
Ward off distractions, like when "Mr. Gear" comes over and wants to have an in-depth conversation/debate about the virtues of the Fat Channel or some other piece of equipment that you really don't care about.
Loan out cables/picks/sticks/etc to musicians that forgot their shit.
Rebuke other bands that assumed that I was there to do sound for them as well.

Last edited:

V-Four

I'll do $50 + a meal for friends. Quite honestly, doing sound is the easy part. The hard part is dealing with the Rando's. Every time I do sound I have to:

Keep idiots from thinking my area is their own private box seating.
Defend the board and rack from people that think it's OK to set drinks on the desk.
Pretend to be some random woman's husband to ward off a creep.
Deal with the Karen's that take offense to something the band is doing.
Deal with venue customer service (tell customers where the restroom is, explain that I am not able to bring them a tab or serve them, etc).
Macguyver/Figure-out how to run 2000-watts of gear on a single 15AMP circuit that also hosts the ice machine.
Ward off distractions, like when "Mr. Gear" comes over and wants to have an in-depth conversation/debate about the virtues of the Fat Channel or some other piece of equipment that you really don't care about.
Loan out cables/picks/sticks/etc to musicians that forgot their shit.
Rebuke other bands that assumed that I was there to do sound for them as well.
This is why back when I was in a "relatively" popular coverband (5pc band taking in $800-1000 a night to split) the booking agent got 10% off the top, then the sound guy got his $300-350, then we split the rest 5 ways. Now, this was a great sound guy with a LOT of pro gear that we always used. 1 guy and his helper hauled in all his equip, set it up, and tore it all down at the end of night.

Of course this was not for 10-40 people, this was usually for small/med club gigs. so I guess its slightly ot., but wanted to add to kamaks point that a "pro" type sound guy has a lot of crap to deal with.

......and there's the problem, a good sound guy who follows those rules won't do all that for $50 - $70 a gig unless they're stupid.
agreed.

T.