Sound dampening

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I have no experience or interest in this but saw the ad so I thought I would post it here.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Interesting. It says it also stops drafts. I wonder if I can use it instead of putting plastic over my windows in the winter?

J-W

Thank you!
I'm going to look into these.

My windows (as with most) cause the biggest leakage of noise. Fortunately, the drums don't disturb anyone, because I play at reasonable hours and when my nearest neighbor is at work, but unfortunately I have other neighbors that think hiring a live band to play their daughter's Quinceañera party that starts at 9 or 10pm and goes until 2 am is perfectly acceptable.
No es Buena idea. At all.

C.M. Jones

Thank you!
I'm going to look into these.

My windows (as with most) cause the biggest leakage of noise. Fortunately, the drums don't disturb anyone, because I play at reasonable hours and when my nearest neighbor is at work, but unfortunately I have other neighbors that think hiring a live band to play their daughter's Quinceañera party that starts at 9 or 10pm and goes until 2 am is perfectly acceptable.
No es Buena idea. At all.

Ha! Most people define noise as any sound they aren't making themselves. Living within earshot of another drummer would probably drive me mad, a reaction that, given my drumming background, seems ridiculous on the surface, but there's a big difference when someone else is cranking out decibels. One of my uncles had a similar response to cigarette smoke. He was a fairly heavy smoker but couldn't stand being in the presence of other smokers. Humans are bizarre.

Last edited:

someguy01

Interesting product. Like @MrInsanePolack I would be highly interested in the draft reduction feature, however they only show it being used with single or double hung windows not casement windows which is what I have as do most homes in CO.

J-W

Ha! Most people define noise as any sound they aren't making themselves. Living within earshot of another drummer would probably drive me mad, a reaction that, given my drumming background, seems ridiculous on the surface, but there's a big difference when someone else is cranking out decibels. One of my uncles had a similar response to cigarette smoke. He was a fairly heavy smoker but couldn't stand being in the presence of other smokers. Human beings are bizarre.

I think my playing certainly qualifies as noise......... even to myself. However, I've had others play my kit and have gone outside to see how loud it actually was and it's not very loud at all since my walls are 18" thick limestone or brick (except around the windows) since it was originally built as a bank. I'm on a corner so my nearest neighbor is two thick walls away from me (the wall dividing my garage from the rest of the
"house" is also triple brick thick), so I doubt he could hear me play anyway. It's only right outside on the sidewalk, under the windows that are 9' up that you can hear the drums.
BUT, it seems that the bass from passing vehicles and the bass guitar from said band (that apparently gets hired almost every weekend during the summer in my neighborhood) seems to pass right through the windows, like they aren't even there, and they are double pane fixed windows.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Interesting product. Like @MrInsanePolack I would be highly interested in the draft reduction feature, however they only show it being used with single or double hung windows not casement windows which is what I have as do most homes in CO.
Would the crank get in the way? I have not lived in a house with casement windows.

someguy01

Would the crank get in the way? I have not lived in a house with casement windows.
They slide open as opposed to the crank open style. Picture a single hung window on it's side, sliding open horizontally instead of vertically.

Mr Farkle

I'll bet those work well for mid and treble noise and definitely drafts. Bass sound probably not so much. That goes right through the walls. Conversely it's interesting that noise cancelling headphones do bass and not high frequency. Used together you would experience some real silence.

C.M. Jones

I think my playing certainly qualifies as noise......... even to myself. However, I've had others play my kit and have gone outside to see how loud it actually was and it's not very loud at all since my walls are 18" thick limestone or brick (except around the windows) since it was originally built as a bank. I'm on a corner so my nearest neighbor is two thick walls away from me (the wall dividing my garage from the rest of the
"house" is also triple brick thick), so I doubt he could hear me play anyway. It's only right outside on the sidewalk, under the windows that are 9' up that you can hear the drums.
BUT, it seems that the bass from passing vehicles and the bass guitar from said band (that apparently gets hired almost every weekend during the summer in my neighborhood) seems to pass right through the windows, like they aren't even there, and they are double pane fixed windows.

Yeah, treating your windows should go a long way toward sound mitigation. Good luck with it.

dboomer

Looks like a pretty reasonable solution... if you can afford the $27-41 per square foot price tag.