Sound check

Status
Not open for further replies.

yesdog

Silver Member
I recorded my drums with a zoom q3 recorder, but did some EQ with my recording software.
The drumming is rubbish, But the drums sound very bright and clear. Opinions Please

Last edited:
The toms, snare and cymbals sound good but the kick drum souns buried in the mix. I'll suggest that you get a little more seperation between the toms. I prefer smaller size toms like you use but I think the lead (smallest) needs to come up a pinch then the third down a pinch. The floors are good maybe the slightest pinch up on the lead floor or detune the second one slightly but you need some more definition between them. Bring the kick into your mix it sounds like an "after thought"!! Do you have a kick mic in front or internal? Doc

Do you have a kick mic in front or internal? Doc
It's just a Q3 handicam style thing Doc :) A "stick it somewhere with a good view & hope for the best" device.

They're a great little recorder, but they roll off badly below 60Hz, just as with any micro diaphragm condenser. They're bass drum capture's always crap, unless you stick the camera in front of it, & even then, the rolloff screws up the trouser flapping stuff.

Well hell in that case it does a great job! I think some more seperation between the toms will be an addition to the kits dynamics. The snare sounds very good!! (what is it?) Doc

Just to let everyone know, I have a full blown recording rig, 2 overheads every drum mic'd as well. I use Motu Digital Performer 6 or Logic Pro 9, Tascam US1800, and a Mac. I decided to use my Zoom q3 field recorder and enhanced it with my recording software. I figured if I am going to post some of me playing some stuff that is not a play along, I don't need to spend a bunch of time mixing and syncing with the video.

Sounds very good, I like the kit also and cymbal selections. Amazing technology we have today, I remember speeding up a record player just to hear more defined notes in a bass pattern hahahaha!!! Doc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back