Sound and feel difference between Remo CS reverse dot and Evans power center reverse dot heads?

cdrums21

Gold Member
I have been of the mind set lately to try out several different snare drum heads on my 6.5 x 14 Black beauty snare drum, just for grins and see if maybe something would surprise me. I have read that people recommend Remo CS reverse dot and Evans PC reverse dot heads for this drum. For the life of me, I just can't get the Remo CS dot head to sound good. It sounds hard and brittle to me compared to say an emperor or ambassador. I thought about trying an Evans PC reverse dot, but am I gonna get the same result?

cdrums21

Gold Member
Checked search, only 2 replies in the old thread. If you care to add an opinion/experience, please do so! :)

Stroman

Platinum Member
Well, I agree the CS reverse dot sounds harder than an Ambassador. That's kind of what I'm going for when I choose to use one. As for the Evans head, I find it a little more subdued and less brittle sounding, but with a similar character. The only thing I didn't like about that head was, on my Pork Pie BOB, it sat so low that the rim was too low for a clean cross-stick. At first I thought the head stretched too much, but Ben sent me a new one, and it turns out the combination of collar (the 360 design) and counterhoop just didn't work on that drum. It sounded fine, but I needed the cross stick sound.

You probably won't have that same issue on the Ludwig drum, so maybe it's worth a try.

Tamaefx

Silver Member
They don’t sound or feel the same. The Evans seems harder under the stick, thicker.
The CS, I find, is livelier under the sticks but it has like a weird medium overtone that I don’t like. The Evans sounds better, a bit drier but still lively enough (I dont like dry or thick drum skins.)
And the coating is of course whiter and much more durable on the Evans skin.
On metal snare, those skins do warm up a bit the shell. They’re my go to head on steel snares.

Last edited:

cdrums21

Gold Member
They don’t sound or feel the same. The Evans seems harder under the stick, thicker.
The CS, I find, is livelier under the sticks but it has like a weird medium overtone that I don’t like. The Evans sounds better, a bit drier but still lively enough (I dont like dry or thick drum skins.)
And the coating is of course whiter and much more durable on the Evans skin.
On metal snare, those skins do warm up a bit the shell. They’re my go to head on steel snares.
I know exactly what you mean about the weird overtone. I’ve tried it several times over the years on different snares and I just don’t like it. I’m pretty much a Remo guy, but maybe I’ll still give the Evans a try. Thanks guys for your input!!

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
It doesn't have to be either/or. Aquarian makes a version of the same thing (Texture Coated with reverse Power Dot) which I prefer over the Remo and Evans equivalent. Right now all of my snares have an Aquarian Modern Vintage medium with a reverse dot that I had to special order, but they're worth the extra effort. I love the tone of the Modern Vintage heads, and to me the extra stiffness from the dot translates into a bit more crack in the sound of the drum that I like a lot.

cdrums21

Gold Member
It doesn't have to be either/or. Aquarian makes a version of the same thing (Texture Coated with reverse Power Dot) which I prefer over the Remo and Evans equivalent. Right now all of my snares have an Aquarian Modern Vintage medium with a reverse dot that I had to special order, but they're worth the extra effort. I love the tone of the Modern Vintage heads, and to me the extra stiffness from the dot translates into a bit more crack in the sound of the drum that I like a lot.
I admit that I haven’t really considered Aquarian much, but after reading your post, I went on YouTube and checked out some videos by a guy named Patrick Metzgar. I was impressed with his playing for sure, and his drums, all of them, sounded great. Texture coated reverse dot on snare, response 2 clear on toms and a Force 1 clear on the kick. I’m going to pick up the texture coated reverse dot head instead of the Evans and check it out. I’m anxious to hear how it sounds!

RickP

Gold Member
The stick response in the dotted section of the Remo CS has reduced stick response in comparison to the Evans Power Center and this can be attributed to the slotted cutouts in the dot of the Evans head . There is also more of a sonic difference between playing the dotted section and outside of the dot on the Remo CS than the Evans Power Center .

I used the Evans Power Center heads for years because of this and have recently ( the couple years ) come back to using the Remo CS heads. I prefer the sound of the Remo CS in comparison to the Evans Power Center .
Another observation on the Remo CS . I far prefer the CS with the white dot to the black dot . They DO sound different .

iCe

I have used both and found that the Remo coated CS feels and sounds better. More open if you will. I also find that the Evans PCRD feels thicker.
Because I wanted something different, I'm now using a clear CS on my snare. Way more crack and also sounds a tad more sensitive, obviously with sacrificing some of the warmth that the coated version has. But it does cut through when you crank it!

Morrisman

Platinum Member
I find the Remo livelier and the Evans heavier/damped. I have one of each on different drums that are set up for specific sounds.
I like how the dot gives a solid backbeat, but you can still get pings and ringy sounds near the edge if you want them.

Stroman

Platinum Member
I find the Remo livelier and the Evans heavier/damped. I have one of each on different drums that are set up for specific sounds.
I like how the dot gives a solid backbeat, but you can still get pings and ringy sounds near the edge if you want them.
Just on a whim, I dug out the Evans PCRD that Ben sent me years ago for my BoB. I tried it on what has become my main snare lately, a Pearl Sensitone Aluminum. My impressions mirror what everyone has said, and what I remembered from before - the Evans is more damped, the Remo livelier. The great thing is, the Evans works perfectly on this snare, whereas it allowed the hoop to sit too low on the Pork Pie. It sounds great, for a different choice. And like Morrisman, I like the solid backbeat center contrasting with the ringy edge.

cdrums21

Gold Member
I guess I'm in the minority here, but I am just not digging the coated CS dot. I like more of a "pop" than a crack from my snare, and I get that with a coated emperor and even a coated Emperor X, which I have on there now. It sounds great on that drum, albeit I use it in a high volume rock setting playing basically back beats most of the time. For me, the secret to getting it to sound good is to tune it up relatively tight. No more so than I usually tune my snare with other heads, but it sounds kinda tubby until you tune up past that and into the meaty, "popping" zone. I can see why rock players like Brian Tichy, Jason Bonham, Tre Cool and others like them on metal snares. I like coated ambassadors too, great in the studio, but I go through them too quickly playing live. That's why I thought maybe a CS reverse dot would be the ticket, but I guess it's just not for me. All good. I'm actually surprised at how good the Emperor X sounds on the black beauty. Yes it's thick but on this drum mic'ed up, it sounds perfect. Anyway, thanks for all the input and opinions!

Last edited: