Soulful, Female Artists?

?uesto

Silver Member
Hey all, I come with a music request.

I'm compiling as large a list I can of female artists for my sister to check out. She's a singer and pianist, but she listens to a lot of music that won't really get her anywhere as a singer, musician, songwriter, etc.

I'm not forcing anything down her throat or anything, but a little more than Taylor Swift, Bruno Mars, and Adele would be nice. So far, I have a few artists I listen to, with suggestions from my mom and step-mom. This is what I have so far. I'd love for some of you music buffs to suggest some more.

Fiona Apple
Joni Mitchell
Regina Spektor
Tori Amos
Sara Bareilles
Esperanza Spalding
Alanis Morisette
Erykah Badu
Lauryn Hill
Duffy
Norah Jones
Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings
Martina McBride
Gretchen Parlato
Amel Larrieux

Thanks in advance!

Joss Stone and Kathleen Edwards fit nicely on your list.

If you want soul, you have to have Josh Stone on your list. She has so much soul she wears no shoes.

I've always liked Nancy Wilson's voice. Janis Joplin was very soulful too. Sandy Denny also had a beautiful voice. She's the one who sang with Robert Plant in The Battle of Evermore.

Alison Moyet = my favourite female singer of all time!

2 unplugged gems recorded in recent years. From the quality end of 80's pop, to chamber renditions of opera classics, & everything in between, Alison is THE female voice for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNsCQ60mgAs A classic beautifully performed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EavnJwKXops&feature=related One of her 80's pop tunes stripped back.

As an aside, funny how my favourite Alison Moyet album is titled "voice", & my recent discovery of Hiromi's album with Simon Phillips & Anthony Jackson carries the same title. Also a super favourite all time recording according to Andy's taste'o'meter.

Jenny Lewis formerly of Rilo Kiley, one of my all time favorites. Sharon Jones is a definite must. Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders still kills it.

My band does an Amy Whinehouse cover...she's very impressive!

Bonnie Raitt is so good. Every tim eI hear a song of hers I think "why do I not listen to more of this?".

I've been on a Amy Winehouse forum since 2006. The first time I saw Amy sing she was sitting on a green couch with an acoustic guitarist off camera. I was blown away. Who can write 'Love is a Losing game at 22yo?' Who sings like that?

I'm old as dirt. I grew up to see the Beatles on Ed Sullivan and see all the music that came after. No artist touched me like Amy. When she died it was one of the darkest days of my life. Soul? Buy Back to Black.

Sorry.....I get carried away.

This is a great list vvv I love Nina Simone.

How about some golden oldies like Nina Simone, Dusty Springfield, Billie Holiday, Etta James and Aretha?

Back