Soooo, doubleglazed... you like?

Mrcoffee

I recently bought a few pairs of Vic Firth doubleglaze Extended 5A sticks and I really like the way they stay in the hand and give you a more relaxed grip but I found them heavier also unfortunately, just as I was wondering if I should go a bit lighter. Anyone tried them? Opinion please.

NouveauCliche

I recently bought a few pairs of Vic Firth doubleglaze Extended 5A sticks and I really like the way they stay in the hand and give you a more relaxed grip but I found them heavier also unfortunately, just as I was wondering if I should go a bit lighter. Anyone tried them? Opinion please.

I was hoping this was about doughnuts. I'm sad it's not - but I understand that this is a drum forum.

I had a lot to contribute to a doughnut thread - I have none to contribute to the VF sticks you mention - never played them :)

DrumDoug

I bought a pair and I love the feel. If you like Regal Tip or have dry hands they are great. As far as the weight, I had the opposite problem. I ordered a pair online and they were extremely light. That’s the problem with buying sticks online. In the store you can pick out the weight you like. Online you’re at the mercy of chance.

Jml

Tried them but they’re too heavy. Love the Keith Carlock signature sticks, which are also double glazed. Only issue is they have a small tip and tend to break. Thy also have 7As in double glazed but have not tried them.

blinky

I play the 5B double glazed sticks and they are great since I have dry hands. Can't say much about the weight though, I went from 2B's to the 5B's so they feel light to me!

NouveauCliche

Tried them but they’re too heavy. Love the Keith Carlock signature sticks, which are also double glazed. Only issue is they have a small tip and tend to break. Thy also have 7As in double glazed but have not tried them.
If the Carlock's are double glazed - I am familiar with that stick. I loved the weight and balance and tip...but that coating would get slippery in my hand fast. I dropped more of those than any stick in a long time when they came out - so I would sand them down, but I got real sick of having to mod a stick haha.

Jml

If the Carlock's are double glazed - I am familiar with that stick. I loved the weight and balance and tip...but that coating would get slippery in my hand fast. I dropped more of those than any stick in a long time when they came out - so I would sand them down, but I got real sick of having to mod a stick haha.
I understand they are similar, if not the same, as the now unavailable Regal Tip Session stick.

Yamaha Rider

I was hoping this was about doughnuts. I'm sad it's not - but I understand that this is a drum forum.

I had a lot to contribute to a doughnut thread - I have none to contribute to the VF sticks you mention - never played them :)
Nice to see you cops enjoy drumming too. ;)

This was a smart move by VF. I have used them the past couple of winters, when my hands are the most dry. The rest of the year, I can return to my Pro Marks. Double Glaze models have a nice feel. PM and Vater should follow suit with similar offerings.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
If you want double glazed, or triple glazed, or quadruple glazed; just buy some clear gloss spray paint from the store and spray them as many times as you like.
I have brought some old sticks back to life using clear gloss spray paint. Works great.

Mcdonap

Are the double glazed like the Promark active grip?
I don't think so. Both are trying to achieve the same end result, though. To me, the Active Grip feels much tackier - almost like a very thin, sprayed on coating of the rubbery dip some sticks have. (e.g. "Vic Grip".) I don't think that's what it is, but it feels more like that to my hands. The Doubleglaze coating seems much more like an attempt to recreate something like the Regal Tip finish. If you've never tried Regal Tip to know what the finish is like, similar feeling sticks could be Zildjian Dennis Chambers and VF Keith Carlock.

cbphoto

Gold Member
I’ve used Zildjian and Vic Firth dipped sticks, but much prefer the Promark Active Grip. I’ve played in 90° weather without slippage or clenching.