Sonor SQ2 Drum Configuration.

Thanks. is sunlight going to be a problem for this kit.

If I'm not mistaken, it kinda depends on the finish or paint. Materials can react differently to UV light.

Occasional sunlight, I wouldn't worry about it at all.
Prolonged sunlight, (like 12 hrs a day for years at a time)...discoloration is possible, and drum wraps could crack.

That's just as a general rule for basic drum wraps and finishes.

However for the SQ1, I wouldn't be surprised if it's using high quality materials or paint that's UV protected.

EDIT: If your only option is direct sunlight, get something like TriNova UV Protectant.

Last edited:
Thanks. is sunlight going to be a problem for this kit.

I don't believe a few hours in the sun will cause any problems, but there is a problem with certain batches of SQ1s in Cruiser Blue. Namely, the rubber used on the mounts tends to seep into the lacquer finish, eventually producing a dark gray halo or ghosting effect on the finish. It is a problem Sonor has acknowledged, and I documented it here: http://www.sonormuseum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18649

I don't believe a few hours in the sun will cause any problems, but there is a problem with certain batches of SQ1s in Cruiser Blue. Namely, the rubber used on the mounts tends to seep into the lacquer finish, eventually producing a dark gray halo or ghosting effect on the finish. It is a problem Sonor has acknowledged, and I documented it here: http://www.sonormuseum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18649

What should I do. I dont want this to happen as I want to sell the kit later on. Should I sell it and buy a different finish or just keep it. Cuz this kit cost me alot of money.

What should I do. I dont want this to happen as I want to sell the kit later on. Should I sell it and buy a different finish or just keep it. Cuz this kit cost me alot of money.

I'd recommend just keeping an eye on it, as you might have a set without the issue (you can see it under the mounts if it's starting). If it should appear, you should first contact your dealer, and if no satisfaction there, appeal directly to Sonor Germany. In my case, Sonor referred me to KHS America (US distributor for Sonor), and after several email exchanges, they sent me a brand new replacement set in GT Black.

I'd recommend just keeping an eye on it, as you might have a set without the issue (you can see it under the mounts if it's starting). If it should appear, you should first contact your dealer, and if no satisfaction there, appeal directly to Sonor Germany. In my case, Sonor referred me to KHS America (US distributor for Sonor), and after several email exchanges, they sent me a brand new replacement set in GT Black.87906
I forgot to mention i brought the floor tom and 12 inch tom used. After inspecting it closely for a few minutes looks like I have the same problems. Here's the picture. I contacted my dealer and had no luck. I am very angry and disappointed. Spent alot of money on this kit. I wish I knew about this before I brought it. It appears to be on both the 16 inch floor tom and 12 inch floor tom. See below the picture of the 16 inch floor tom. I dont know if i exactly have the problem. Please could you tell me after looking at it. looking at your kit, i think i have the problem you did.

I forgot to mention i brought the floor tom and 12 inch tom used. After inspecting it closely for a few minutes looks like I have the same problems. Here's the picture. I contacted my dealer and had no luck. I am very angry and disappointed. Spent alot of money on this kit. I wish I knew about this before I brought it. It appears to be on both the 16 inch floor tom and 12 inch floor tom. See below the picture of the 16 inch floor tom. I dont know if i exactly have the problem. Please could you tell me after looking at it. looking at your kit, i think i have the problem you did.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but yes, that's the discoloration I was referring to. Unfortunately, without a direct bill of receipt, I'm not sure there's anything your dealer could do for you. That was the advantage I had: original receipt showing I'd bought them new. Without that, I'd likely have been told there was nothing they could do.

But it's possible the discoloration might not get any worse. And as you found out, it's very difficult to see when the mounts are in place. You might be just fine.

I brought them from a drum shop. I have the receipt with me. How do I directly contact sonor to appeal. I tried searching online but I cant seem to get into contact with them. The dealer said Sonor should sort me out. He said he cant to anything apart from sell the kit to me. I have prove of purchase. It appears on the 12 inch tom a little worse. I want to appeal. I spent too much money on this kit and spent most my saving on it. Please tell me how I can appeal to them or contact them to fix this issue.

Yes its in final production. It it looks like they might have fixed the problem. I am under warranty so if anything happens they will resolve it for me. I will post a picture of my black kit. I dont know how long final production will take.

Back