Sonor SQ2 - best shell thickness

Rítmico

Hello guys,

I want order a new Sonor SQ2 maple drum set, 22", 8", 10", 12", 14" and 16".

Who is the best (if it exists) shell thickness made by sonor? Vintage, thin, medium or heavy?

I like play progressive rock, like "porcupine tree" and some jazz - funk like "incognito".

On Sonor website we can‘t find much information about this.

Thanks

M.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
There is no "best".
If you mainly play out unmiced, a thicker shell will sound better in the crowd
If you play out miced, I'd choose a thinner shell, but nothing wrong w/ a thicker shell there either. Follow your ears.
The medium thickness may be a good compromise.

Tiki O'Tool

I have purchased a Sonor SQ2 with medium shells. It is a very versatile kit. Doing session work and touring I can use this kit in any situation from Blues to hard rock and R&B

Well judging buy the sizes and the fact you like porcupine tree and incognito:

You are big Gav Harrison fan, therefore you must like his sound?

His kit is as follows:

Bass drum: Heavy shell

Floor toms: Medium shell

Tom toms: Thin shell

Snare drums: medium shell

Why not go for that?

AirborneSFC

Gold Member
Hey everyone who might be interested. My dealer told me in a few weeks they will get a display with 16 or so SQ2 toms in every shell thickness and wood available in the range. I am also on the verge of ordering an SQ2 but I want to hear everything and see what is best. I am not sure if they have this also in America ( I can't imagine why not) but I know a lot of music stores here have a few SQ2's on display to try out.

For those interested I will try to take some pictures and let you know how it all sounds.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Thickness is just one element that determines the sound of a drum, and should be considered in context with the wood species & bearing edges. Work out the strengths of your chosen wood, then choose thicknesses that work with those qualities.

townmills

Well judging buy the sizes and the fact you like porcupine tree and incognito:

You are big Gav Harrison fan, therefore you must like his sound?

His kit is as follows:

Bass drum: Heavy shell

Floor toms: Medium shell

Tom toms: Thin shell

Snare drums: medium shell

Why not go for that?

Hi Guys im new to this forum.
Im currently looking at buying an sq2 and also love the sound and setup of Gavin Harrisons kit.- Like everyone else im struggling with what shell thickness and wood etc.
I see Gavin has now changed his rack toms to medium and was wondering what the difference this makes in sound?
The type of sounds i like are tight crisp sounds on the racks down to deep rumbles on the floor toms - crisp sounds on the snare and a deep punch on the kick.
so i was thinking heavy on the bass, medium on the floor toms and snare but not sure about the rack toms?
Wood - maybe maple but have no idea? - not sure what wood Gavin uses??
(I very nearly bought a Roland Td-30kv this weekend but when i tried it out the cymbals and hi - hat were terrible!! - so im back to acoustic) ( i play in a rock covers band - and have had a sonor performer for the last 20 years!!)
Any help will be much appreciated! (especially from you Gavin??)
Regards
Richard

Arky

Platinum Member
Any help will be much appreciated! (especially from you Gavin??)
Regards
Richard
Welcome to the forum.

As for more specific info on Gavin's setup or in order to get a reply from him - here's his thread:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698

If you have the time - browse this thread because all the info should already be there but it's much stuff to digest. Gavin's thread is (by far) the biggest single Drummers thread here on DW.

townmills

First, since this thread is over two years old I think the OP has made his decision by now :).

Second: Anybody who lays down the money for an SQ2 kit should have a pretty good
idea of how he wants his drums to sound, IMO.
Yep i know exactly how i want my kit to sound - just needed some friendly advise on shell thickness etc
Lucky for me ive had a long kind reply from Gavin with all the info i was after.
Thank you Gavin!