Sonor SQ1 (brand new kit) problems

Hi,

I got my Sonor SQ1 kit 12, 14, 20 the other week. I've been having issues.

The 12 tom goes dead when mounted. But resonates when held by the hoop.

I'm very used to tuning Sonor kits as a long time Sonor player. Never ever had an issue with any of their gear before.

To be having issues when spending this kind of money is really disappointing.

Has anyone else had this issue?

I've been in touch with the shop and Sonor. Sonor believes it might be the sound sustainer system causing the issue and are shipping me a free replacement. Really hope thats what it is.

drumnut87

not had it on a sonor kit, but had it on an old tama rockstar kit, something to do with pressure of the mount at the mounting point causing the shell to not resonante/vibrate naturally.

Darth Vater

Hi,

I got my Sonor SQ1 kit 12, 14, 20 the other week. I've been having issues.

The 12 tom goes dead when mounted. But resonates when held by the hoop.

I'm very used to tuning Sonor kits as a long time Sonor player. Never ever had an issue with any of their gear before.

To be having issues when spending this kind of money is really disappointing.

Has anyone else had this issue?

I've been in touch with the shop and Sonor. Sonor believes it might be the sound sustainer system causing the issue and are shipping me a free replacement. Really hope thats what it is.
I have an SQ1 w/ a 12". I haven't had that problem. They're shipping you a replacement for free and that's a problem? Ok then!

Justinhub2003

Yea I have the same SQ1 kit, and I think my Tom’s sing mounted just as they do un mounted.

I have an 8” SQ1 Tom, that I had low expectations of because I thought 8” toms just didn’t sound great, but i my sounds killer and I’ve incorporated it into my kit now.

I think it’s just a bad sustainer system. Which is new to this product like and just maybe faulty

not had it on a sonor kit, but had it on an old tama rockstar kit, something to do with pressure of the mount at the mounting point causing the shell to not resonante/vibrate naturally.

Yeah, I'd guess its something like that. Because it resonates fine when not mounted.

I have an SQ1 w/ a 12". I haven't had that problem. They're shipping you a replacement for free and that's a problem? Ok then!

No, the 'problem' just being the fact that when the tom is mounted it doesn't sustain. Just checking to see if anyone else has run into this issue. I had actually written the post and just before posting saw an email about sonor sending the part. Of course it won't be a problem if thats the source of the issue. I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone before, or is it a rare one off thing. Also, on your other post you said you're playing the phonic reissue snare. That's a beast. Would love to pick up one of those some day. Do you use it for recording? Also, I see most of the new Sonor products will be available in Europe in the next 3 to 4 weeks. Hope to see demos of the new 13x6 snares.

Don't lose sleep over it. A problem is only a problem if it can't be resolved. The new strainer might do the trick. If not, Sonor, a reputable company, will make a good-faith effort to put things right. This is frustrating, not cataclysmic.

I will say Sonor is always great any time I've dealt with them. They've also sent their reassurance that if the sound sustainer doesn't solve the issue they will take further steps. As a customer its nice to know you can depend on them to do the right thing.

Yea I have the same SQ1 kit, and I think my Tom’s sing mounted just as they do un mounted.

I have an 8” SQ1 Tom, that I had low expectations of because I thought 8” toms just didn’t sound great, but i my sounds killer and I’ve incorporated it into my kit now.

I think it’s just a bad sustainer system. Which is new to this product like and just maybe faulty

Yeah, when just holding the 12 by the hoop...it sounds great. Tons of sustain. Guess the odd faulty part can make it through sometimes. The shop had the kit on display but had the 12 in a snare basket...they didn't mount it from a tom arm...so i guess this is how they didn't catch it sooner. Also had a look inside the drum last night and looks pretty easy to swap out. So as long as thats the source of the issue...all should end well. The rest of the kit is very cool. Really like it. The black satin finish is incredible up close. 20x16 kick is killer.

RickP

Gold Member
Have you tried adjusting the L Rod in different positions on the Tom mount ? Sonor’s L Rod mount can be moved in and out in the Tom holder . This is one option you can try till the new Sound Sustainer arrives .
Another option is to purchase a Gauger Aluminum RIMS mount and try it on your Tom . I know this ruins the aesthetic look of the kit , but they do work well .

Woolwich

Silver Member
I had a similar problem once albeit on a used Premier kit. I tried all sorts of solutions to no avail, as a last throw of the dice I took the heads off and checked the screws inside of the shell to see if any were loose. Most of them needed a decent degree of cinching to make them fully tight and the sustain problem was solved.
I'm not suggesting this is the root of your problem but it shows how something relatively minor can have a big impact.

C.M. Jones

Yeah, when just holding the 12 by the hoop...it sounds great. Tons of sustain. Guess the odd faulty part can make it through sometimes. The shop had the kit on display but had the 12 in a snare basket...they didn't mount it from a tom arm...so i guess this is how they didn't catch it sooner. Also had a look inside the drum last night and looks pretty easy to swap out. So as long as thats the source of the issue...all should end well. The rest of the kit is very cool. Really like it. The black satin finish is incredible up close. 20x16 kick is killer.

Good luck with it. I'm sure you'll find a solution.

s1212z

I had mentioned something similar on the BDC thread because there was a review of a completely 'dead' tom in the mix. If companies are using direct shell contact mounts to shape modern birch kits to sound more 'birchy', you will like run into more issues of sympathetic vibrations into the mounting hardware. A DCP review of SQ1, the rack mount sounded dead to me too (though I'm told they don't know how to tune Sonors despite being die-hard Sonor loyalists)...other reviews the SQ1 sound super nice and vibrant along with the sentiment here, obviously it's not consistent at all even in modern builds. Wound not buy any direct shell mounts racks unless I could play it first.

Justinhub2003

Yea listen to cymbal houses SQ1 kit mic’ed up. Sounds killer

s1212z

I don't think I've heard any Sonor in DCP vids that sounds like a Sonor .. LOL

Now... this guy I Don't think is having any problem getting the kit to sing like a Sonor .. even on a phone camera.

Both sound nice, thought DR's review sounded great too. Even though closed mic, they use the same drummer, playing the same groove and in the same place in the room for every kit they review...I find this helpful. I see Maxwell's got more involved with SQ1.

Darth Vater

In this Drummer’s Review video, I think the floor tom sounds much better than in the other two videos posted above. In this video, there is a nice tone. In the other two, not much.
I think that's probably the best one. I watched that one before I bought my kit. I'm very happy it. I'll have to admit that being mostly a maple guy for years and years, I was taken aback at the tone and sustain when I heard that vid! "So that's what a good birch kit sounds like!"

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I've only ever heard about issues with a dead sounding bass drum tree mounted 12" tom. Not the 10. Not the13. Not the 12 as the high tom like in a 4 piece. Just the 12 in the 2nd position.

Happened to me too. Below isn't a popular opinion but it's the only thing that seems plausible to me.

Try this just for fun. Mount it, sit behind the kit and hit it. It should be dead right, the reason for the thread. Now move your head closer to the drum and hit it. Now move your head a little further from where you normally keep your head and hit the 12" drum. Now move your head back to how you normally keep it and hit it. Did you hear a difference? I do, bigtime. When I move my head closer to the 12" tom, it regains it's fullness. When I move it farther away from normal, it regains it's fullness. When I keep my head where I normally keep it, it sounds hollow.

My theory, and I don't know if it's right, is that my ears, where I normally keep them while playing, are sitting smack at the bottom of the trough in the soundwave. When I move my head anywhere else but normal, there's no problem. Try this, walk out in front of the kit and hit the 12" tom. Does it sound dead from out there? If it doesn't sound dead from the front of the kit...it's not. The only place where it sounded dead to me was from the throne with my head kept where I normally keep it. I think of it like a bad place to put a mic. Also no one but me is perceiving it.. I contend that the 12" tom is just the right size, and makes just the right wavelength, for this phenomena to occur.

If you are not suspension mounted, that could also do it. I'm a big fan of suspension mounts because I like sustain. The combination of the 2 could be your issue.

The other "problem" could very well be an ear placement issue. That's my theory. Until actual facts explain what's happening, I'm sticking with this.

Last edited:
Have you tried adjusting the L Rod in different positions on the Tom mount ? Sonor’s L Rod mount can be moved in and out in the Tom holder . This is one option you can try till the new Sound Sustainer arrives .
Another option is to purchase a Gauger Aluminum RIMS mount and try it on your Tom . I know this ruins the aesthetic look of the kit , but they do work well .

I've tried everything in terms of positioning the L rod. Even tried another tom arm with a different L rod. Nothing changed. Tried different stands, different parts of the room, different rooms...always the same result once mounted. It looks more and more like it has to be something to do with the sound sustainer system.