Sonor Safari Snare drum question

konaboy

Pioneer Member
One of my students is looking for a snare and the family is on a budget. Found a used Sonor Safari Snare for a decent price and in really good condition. I've never had an experience with the Safari series. I know the kit itself gets good reviews, any opinions on the sound and quality of the snare.

evilg99

Platinum Member
I know other will pipe in to back me up - the Safari kits are awesome, the snare drums are awful. Pass. Trust me.
An old Japanese stencil snare drum found in a yard sale for $10 will likely sound better.

Several board members here have tried everything they know to try and improve it - it just can't be tamed.

I bought a Safari kit for a guitar player friend - and I play his kit all the time(@rehearsals) Luckily, he has another snare. The Safari snare has a very annoying boing and ring to it that won't go away. If you want a snare drum to go 'crack!'...this one.just.won't.

konaboy

Pioneer Member
Thanks for the feedback, that's what I was worried about. Never heard reviews of the snare just how great the toms and bass sounded. Just found a used Yamaha Stage Custom in their price range. I've played on a few of those and they sound pretty good.

fac

I have a Sonor Player, which I believe has the same 14x5 snare as the Safari and Bop sets. I totally agree with the above. My very cheap Thunder aluminum snare sounds better (in case you don't know, Thunder was an old cheap brand by Taye). It's not useless, though, so I guess if it's really cheap and it's just for practice, it would be ok.

newoldie

Silver Member
I have a Sonor Player, which I believe has the same 14x5 snare as the Safari and Bop sets. I totally agree with the above. My very cheap Thunder aluminum snare sounds better (in case you don't know, Thunder was an old cheap brand by Taye). It's not useless, though, so I guess if it's really cheap and it's just for practice, it would be ok.
I've had a different experience with the Player snare. I had put a Remo Vintage Ambassador and an Ambassador resonant on it, tuned up the batter and discovered it gives a good tight crack. I tried it out recently in a rock group practice and it actually sounded pretty good.
The Safari snare on the other hand was beyond hope so I just use that with a Silent Stroke as a practice snare option

evilg99

Platinum Member
Thanks for the feedback, that's what I was worried about. Never heard reviews of the snare just how great the toms and bass sounded. Just found a used Yamaha Stage Custom in their price range. I've played on a few of those and they sound pretty good.
Yes! Can't go wrong with any version/year of the Stage Customs. Those snares are fine as well. Might want to think of putting a dry head on the snare on those.