Sonor Safari Discontinued???

evilg99

Platinum Member
All that they had to do was to start offering add-ons for the Safari/Bop series.
I think that they made a mistake by going this route but what do I know?
Yup, big mistake. I don't like the look of the new lugs on the Pocket kit either.
The only thing that makes sense is packaging a 13" snare drum with a kit that has a 16" bass drum. Hell, even a 12" snare would be OK I think.
Add ons for the Pocket kit? - ugh, whatever. The thing that makes the Safari cool (and portable) is: it's a 4 piece with a 16" bass drum, 10" rack tom, and a shallow 14 x 12 floor tom. That's IT. Stop. It's like the Mini Cooper.....when you elongate it, make it wider, add 2 doors, four wheel drive, raise it up higher, add cargo space....it ain't a Mini anymore!!

Is there a single Safari owner out there that desperately wanted a 12" tom to add to the Safari kit? Anybody? I know I don't....

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Yup, big mistake. I don't like the look of the new lugs on the Pocket kit either.
The only thing that makes sense is packaging a 13" snare drum with a kit that has a 16" bass drum. Hell, even a 12" snare would be OK I think.
Add ons for the Pocket kit? - ugh, whatever. The thing that makes the Safari cool (and portable) is: it's a 4 piece with a 16" bass drum, 10" rack tom, and a shallow 14 x 12 floor tom. That's IT. Stop. It's like the Mini Cooper.....when you elongate it, make it wider, add 2 doors, four wheel drive, raise it up higher, add cargo space....it ain't a Mini anymore!!

Is there a single Safari owner out there that desperately wanted a 12" tom to add to the Safari kit? Anybody? I know I don't....
+1, They had it covered. They had both kits that offered something for everyone.
I never care about an 8" tom anyway.
I liked the 14" snare too.
If I want an inexpensive 5 or 6 piece kit I can choose from dozens!
The Safari/Bop kits filled a perfect gap in drum kits as they were.
Sonor F'd up big time on this one.
They changed the formula of Coca Cola if you know what I mean.
They could have added 2 lugs to the floor tom and slightly improved the snare and then raised the price slightly.

evilg99

Platinum Member
Well, the Safari kit I ordered for my buddy came in yesterday. I gotta say, I've played them briefly in the store about a year ago (before they were discontinued here) and they sounded good there....but I'm really blown away by how great these sound here at home after putting some coated ambassadors on the toms. I have a 2nd gen. maple Jungle kit and they sound every bit as good as those, only a bit darker/warmer.
They also sound better than my mahogany Yamaha Rydeen jazz - they have a little more resonance and sustain if you can beleive it. I also have Yamaha MCAN, DW Collectors, Pearl MHP, Yamaha Hipgig. And even given those choices, I would not hesitate to gig with this kit anywhere. I have good mics and we always have a decently powerful PA, so the small sizes are not a problem.
I dunno guys, phillipine mahogany/luan/basswood/ mystery meat shells are getting better and better.

Oh and I had all but written off the snare drum....but I swapped the snare side head with a remo snare side and cranked the living s&%t out of it. I mean...much tighter than you think it should be and then two more full turns on each lug after that. I tried some Puresound snares but actually went back to good ol cheap (and brighter) steel snares and it sounds MUCH BETTER. I still don't know if I would gig with the snare though....I'm picky with snares. I'm giving my buddy a Dixon maple piccolo as well so he has a snare choice already! Geez, It was 10 years of playing before I had a second snare !
Anyway, I know I'm just preachin' to the choir here. Thanks guys for pointing me in this direction, I would have never chosen this kit had it not been for this site. Bo and Bob, you guys really need Sonor to send you a T-Shirt or somethin' for selling a few hundred of these kits.

Best,
Neal

Mike Armstrong

After giving it ago with my meager skills at tuning, I had the owner of the drum shop I bought my kit at teach/help me tune it up. Single ply Aquarian Texture Coated heads and a couple hours later I was shocked at how well 'cheap' basswood shells could sound. I wanted a 'starter' kit with plans on getting something more expensive later on but seriously, these are great drums.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Im glad that you guys are happy with your kits.

And Neal, you're right, I figure that Sonor at least owes me a hat or a shirt.
Bo has managed to hook in a bit with them.
Actually, it was Bo who turned me on to the Safari.
I just ran with the baton after I bought mine.
Let's not forget about Frank who I haven't seen around here for awhile.
I wonder what happened to Frank?

pearlygates

Gold Member
That's enough for me.. I order my Safari next week. been a hold out long enough. far too much favorable press on these drum sets to ignore now.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I was just thinking that I will have had my Safari for one year as of March 3.
It seems like only yesterday that I was opening the box.
I recall that I was surprised that the kit came in only one not too large box.
I have no desire to sell mine thats for sure.

Bo just bought a Bop kit I believe.

Last edited:

evilg99

Platinum Member
Happy Safari birthday Bob! :)
Pearlygates, good call, get 'em before they're all gone!

I have to give this kit away tomorrow, and I'm going to be really sad to see them go.
Maybe I'll get another kit as well.
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, they're discontinued here in Canada, so I'm going to have to order a set from the US. Shipping can get a little expensive, but oh well.
Anybody want to buy a DW Collectors' 5 x 14 snare in royal blue lacquer?

I think it's awesome that I could sell a mid priced snare drum and buy a gig-able drum set with that money!

Best,
Neal

pearlygates

Gold Member
FINALLY!!! I ordered my Safari!! Got it in Natural wrap finish. I ordered it from Chicago Music Exchange. They had 2 left.. Rob the drum manager there called Sonor USA to see about ordering more... They are discontinued.

If you're planning on snagging one of these kits up.. do it now.. They are going..going..gone real soon.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Allright Pearly!!!
Thats great, You won't be disappointed.

We all know the real reason why they are discontinued right?
Anything that is inexpensive and good is poison in the profit taking manufacturing world.
Can't say that I blame them, I would do the same thing.

pearlygates

Gold Member
welp.. my kit was shipped today! woot!

you guys are the reason for my decision to pull the trigger.. that and a few YouTube videos.. Nice drumming bobda!
I will post a few pics when they arrive..
shipped from Chicago to Milw. WI.
I figure I should have em by next Monday or Tuesday. stoked!

What's the deal with the riser attachment?
is it stable enough to be used effectively?

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
The riser is real nice. It is strong enough to carry the drum around with. It is also fully adjustable to prevent pedal/hoop contact.
It is a floor tom leg mount. I bought a memory lock for mine.
I also had to buy mem locks for the floor tom legs and the bass spurs. The kit came with one mem lock for the mounted tom.
Drums On Sale had them listed. They are sold as left and right by mistake. You can turn the bolts around to make the memory lock either left or right.

Last edited:

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
FINALLY!!! I ordered my Safari!! Got it in Natural wrap finish. I ordered it from Chicago Music Exchange. They had 2 left.. Rob the drum manager there called Sonor USA to see about ordering more... They are discontinued.

If you're planning on snagging one of these kits up.. do it now.. They are going..going..gone real soon.
Wow. Really? They had 'em at the NAMM show and everything, stating that they're only available in the US. I wonder what prompted this....

pearlygates

Gold Member
The riser is real nice. It is strong enough to carry the drum around with. It is also fully adjustable to prevent pedal/hoop contact.
It is a floor to leg mount. I bought a memory lock for mine.
I also had to buy mem locks for the floor tom legs and the bass spurs. The kit came with one mem lock for the mounted tom.
Drums On Sale had them listed. They are sold as left and right by mistake. You can turn the bolts around to make the memory lock either left or right.
thanks for the info bobda.. good to know I wont have to run out a buy a cradle mount for the kick. I think I have enough different mem locks in my parts inventory to shore things up. Now the wait!

Wow. Really? They had 'em at the NAMM show and everything, stating that they're only available in the US. I wonder what prompted this....
I probably should stress that this is second hand information via Rob @ Chicago Music Exchange. He did tell me that he tried to place an order for a dozen more kits and Sonor USA told him they were not being made and out of stock.
Get while the gettin is good.. So glad I made the cut. I know by talking to retailers online that the Safari shell pack was selling at breakneck speed.

pearlygates

Gold Member
yeah.. not quite the same animal..

I am thinking that the Safari may well be a limited run kit. If that is the case, all the more happy I got mine when I did!
UPS tracking says my kit will be delivered Monday. Its sitting at a hub 6 miles from my apartment!

It appears that at least for my Canadian friends, the Pocket series set up is the direct descendant of the discontinued Safari. Again, time will tell if the Safari series will go the way of the Canadian offering. As Bo mentioned, Sonor USA was passing out Safari lit at Winter NAMM..

Last edited:

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Being that Sonor sold these kits for just over a year they may become a desired collectors item in the future.
Take good care of your Safari kits folks.

wildbill

Platinum Member
Those above are just the shell pack. These below have been around since the new Force stuff came out.. has an 18" kick and ALL hardware. 5 piece. Choice of colors.

http://www.justdrumsonline.com/p-6820-sonor-smart-force-5pc-combo-drum-set.aspx

So what are you saying? That the Pocket kit isn't the replacement for the Safari?
The ad makes it sound like it is.

Yes, it's just a shell pack, but the ad says: "...Following the highly successful run of Safari sets last fall, Sonor listened to the players once again and
answer with an exciting new spin on portable gig alternative sets for 2011!
The new Sonor Special Edition: Pocket Set offers several upgrades and additional components from the original Safari set..."

Maybe the Pocket kit and the Safari will be sold side-by-side in the U.S.. Or maybe the Pocket kit will also replace the Smart Force you linked to?

Has Sonor updated their site yet with the current offerings? I don't know that much about Sonor stuff to know what's changed, and what hasn't.

Artstar

Platinum Member
So what are you saying? That the Pocket kit isn't the replacement for the Safari?
No.. I was just showing a kit that.. for not much more at all, you get an 18" kick, and another tom, in choice of finish, AND all hardware.

Why would'nt you get that one ??? That 18" will fit / go anywhere the 16 " goes.

wildbill

Platinum Member
No.. I was just showing a kit that.. for not much more at all, you get an 18" kick, and another tom, in choice of finish, AND all hardware.

Why would'nt you get that one ??? That 18" will fit / go anywhere the 16 " goes.

You'll get no argument from me there. I like my 18" kick a lot, and think I would most likely prefer it over a 16". And someone could drop a tom if they just have to have a 4 piece.

But it seems a fair amount of people think the Safari was just right, exactly the way it was.

There's also a price difference from about $340usd to about $499usd - not that that would be a big big deal breaker for most people.