Sonor Safari AQ2 Kit- Damaged bass drum bearing

ClosetDrummer

Hi all

I recently purchased as Sonor Safari AQ2 Kit. After inspecting it i have noticed a single dent(?) on the bearing of the bass drum (see attached pictures). All of the other drums seem to be fine from what i can tell. I'm not sure if i can blame Sonor as it looked well packed but the ridged wrap, that's wrapped around the box, appeared to have been eating it's way through the box (due to the box being lifted etc i guess?)..

Do you think it is a cause for concern or should i just leave it? Personally i can live with it but my main concern is whether it will alter the sound at all or cause me issues down the road.

I realise the obvious answer is for me to tune it and see how it sounds. But i don't quite trust my ear, especially as this is my "coming out of retirement" kit.... Which perhaps means that if i can't notice then why should i care :D ? Note that i ordered from Germany to UK so i cant easily pop back to the shop with it.

Thanks in advance

Pictures uploaded here by the way as i kept getting an error that they were too big

That looks like a pretty bad ding! If it were me I would send it back, that's not really acceptable. If for any reason you cannot send it back then I would get someone to re-cut the bearing edge for you.

That is completely unacceptable. The banding on the box was not strapped correctly. It is way too loose. And yes, someone picked up the box by the banding, which in turn spun around the exterior of the box, eating through it and the bearing edge. That's no dent.

Banding should lay flat on the package and not spin. You should not be able to get your fingers under it easily. It's there to further reinforce the box in case the tape/staples fail, not to pick the box up by. I have tons of experience banding packages for shipping, whomever did this does not. Contact Sonor. They band the package prior to shipping from the factory. This is their fault.

That is completely unacceptable. The banding on the box was not strapped correctly. It is way too loose. And yes, someone picked up the box by the banding, which in turn spun around the exterior of the box, eating through it and the bearing edge. That's no dent.

Banding should lay flat on the package and not spin. You should not be able to get your fingers under it easily. It's there to further reinforce the box in case the tape/staples fail, not to pick the box up by. I have tons of experience banding packages for shipping, whomever did this does not. Contact Sonor. They band the package prior to shipping from the factory. This is their fault.
Yeah, I agree. I used to work in shipping and was always amazed by how many times people put the bands on loose enough to stick an arm through.

Op, Sonor will get you a new drum...no problem. Their customer service is great.

Back