Sonor Safari 14x5 Snare

Nitemare

I found a brand new Sonor Safari Snare for $40, is it worth it? I play alot of DnB, Jazz, Prog, Reggae, and some rock.
Thanks

I never used the Safari snare ... sold it still wrapped in the original plastic

With my Safari kit I use a Ludwig Acrolite in their "Black Galaxy" finish IMO a much better snare for just a few dollars more ...

But then again, your results may vary

I fooled around with my Safari snare just for the challenge.
I finally installed a 24 strand Puresound Pro brass strainer and some Gibraltar wooden hoops. I added a Hazy 300 and an Aquarian Focus X.
it almost sounds pretty good now.

There's something about those Safari and Bop snares. I fiddled with mine and got it to be 'ok' but it definitely makes you say, Gee I really love those toms and bass drum!.

If you don't already have one because you bought the kit, don't get one. Find an Acrolite - at least you can grow old with that snare ;)

I'm with Bo.
I have a Sonor Special edition 9 ply maple 5.5x14 snare that I bought used for $140 and It just sings like an Opera star.
I also have a Black Panther 5.5x13 maple that I also bought used for about $150.
It also cranks.
The Safari is a dog that just won't hunt.
I use my Safari snare for jazz band playing because of the dirty sound.

Hi folks. I have been reading post on the Safari kit and have owned one for about a month.
I have been playing drums most of my life, over 45 years. When I opened my kit and put it together the snare sounded better than the other drums out of the box. Of course after tuneing them I was amazed at the sound of this kit. I have Camco's, Vintage Ludwigs and Premiers. Also a Gretsch Catalina Jazz kit. I have my little snare sounding great with just the stock heads and hardware. I heard everyone complaining about the snare throw off but it is ok. Mine works fine. You can always upgrade it. Today I was actually A B'ing the Safari snare with my vintage Acrolite, and Supraphonic and I kept going back to the Safari snare. They all sounded great and would work fine with the kit. The Safari likes to be tuned up. Mine has a nice pop and I loosen the snares just a little so it is not to dry. Likewise my other two. The Safari gives the others a run for there money and new Supraphonics cost almost as much as the whole Safari kit. My whole set sounds great stock. I have used it on three jazz gigs and will again tomorrow night. If you know how to tune you should be able to make that Safari snare sound fine. I think it is easily worth $40in new condition., actually has a little weight to it.. I wil eventually use other snares with my kit but for the looks of the whole set when it is all matching and sounding good it is hard to set the Safari snare aside.

Nice to meet you Vibes,
You are the first person that I have met that actually liked the Safari snare.
You're not selling yours on eBay for $40 are you? ;)

Actually, a good friend of mine has a young son who is starting to play the drums.
He asked me if I had a snare for sale for a good price.
I think that I am going to put the stock hoops, snares, and heads on the Safari snare and give it to him to learn with.

Hey Bob, and thanks for the welcome. I have been reading the last few months you guys other threads on the Safari kit. No, I have absolutely no intentions of selling my Safari snare.
I love the looks of the whole kit. Black Galaxy Sparkle.
I have several nice snares and maybe I just got a good one or something but it actually sounds good with the rest of the kit. I actually was just on my set again swapping out snares after I wrote that last post. I found a nice Acrolite last week and was thinking of useing it tomorrow night at the gig but I just can't decide. Of course the Ludwig snares are nicer but there is just something about that little Safari snare I like. Maybe I got lucky with this one???
The Acrolite sounds a touch darker. I could tune it up a little more and had it up but it was choking a little so backed off a hair. It sounds great. I guess you have to decide if you like the metal or wood sound. I definately think the Safari sounds as good as my Gretsch Catalina snare. I may take the Acrolite and Safari with me tomorrow night and swap them on sets. Do you know a nice snare throw off that will fit the Safari without drilling? and I actually have another Safari kit in BGS in the unopened box for sale if anyone in Florida wants it.

I actually made my Safari a Free Floater for a while and the throw off was attached to the lug tubes and not the shell.
I found a vintage 3 ply ludwig shell used and I then transfered the Free Floater components
to that shell. it sounds much better.

Bob, I believe I saw the pic you posted of that. Looked pretty cool. I think I would like to find something that actually fits the same holes. This is my first Sonor set but aren't the Bass tom post, mounts, Bass drum spurs, floor tom legs, mounts, and lugs the same as on the high end Sonor's? Surprisingly heavy duty.

Yes I think that they are very similar. The Sonor hardware can't be beat.
I added some mem locks to my kit on the floor tom legs and the bass spurs.

I am thinking of getting a Delite in the future.

Back