Sonor S Classix or Sonor Prolites

bobacwrd

I have been looking at 2 Sonor sets lateley. One is a used Sonor S Classix set in "Pristine" condition and the other is a new set of Prolites. I know both of these sets are professional grade and that the S Classix is a birch shell without re-eings and the Prolites are a maple shell with re-rings, but I don't really think I could go wrong with either of these kits. I presently have a Sonor Hi-lite kit and find that very nice sounding and all, I'm just in a Sonor drum want phase. What do you guys think, especially those of you that have either one of these kits?

Last edited:

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
Prolites would prob sound fairly different from your hi-lites anyway but I would lean towards the birch kit if I already had a maple one.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
S Classix would offer you more bite & projection, Prolites more of a melodic instrument. You're right, both are superb sets, & you're unlikely to catch a cold with either of them :)

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
What finish are they? I love Sonor's high-end stuff, and for me the only way to pick 'em would be by color!

Prolites have that very cool volcano red finish. S Classix - I'm not sure what colors those come in. Got pictures?

flurbs

Between the two I'd take the Classix, it'll give you a larger tuning range and more versatile sound options depending on head choice - the only reason they're discontinued is they didn't sell, and the only reason they didn't sell is because they're "birch" instead of "maple". But neither will sound as good as your Hilite (IMO). ;-)

Dutch

Beautiful drums, but I don't think that snare is a 2011 model.. I believe the last year Sonor had S-Classix snares with those lugs (and rubber gaskets) was 2007. Have a look at the brochures on www.sonormuseum.com.

Still, fantastic drums, congratulations.

Dutch

A

audiotech

Nice choice of drums and finish. There are not many Sonor finishes that I deem attractive, but this is definitely one of them. The Sonor S Classix are very nice sounding drums. Enjoy them.

Dennis

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
OK, I went with the Sonor S Classix Kit. It is a 2011 model year and is laminated in Rosewood with birch shells. here's some pics of the new kit.
Great drums - congratulations! Let us know if you think your choice was the right one :)

spleeeeen

Platinum Member
Beautiful. I actually just bought that snare drum (inspired by a purchase Aydee made a while back).

Congratulations!

bobacwrd

Well I received the S Classix in mid June and have been playing them for the last couple of months now and I must say I am thoroughly impressed with not only their tonal and sound quality but their construction and attention to detail. They make me moist!!!!

Last edited:

djeb

I own both an s-Classix and a Delite, wich are the same shells as the Prolites, and I like the s-classix more....too bad they dont produce them anylonger....

AirborneSFC

Gold Member
Very nice choice :) I used to have a Rosewood S Classix also. Now I still just have my Walnut Roots S Classix. Great drums.