Sonor or DW Maple Set ?

I agree with the analysis by TK-421. I'm assuming he's talking about these heads (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DRDHCC10--dw-coated-clear-drumhead-10-inch). I just purchased a DW Performance kit from Sweetwater about 6 weeks ago and it came with those heads. They had just received this kit (or at least parts of it from DW) as it had been out of stock for a few months. This head was on the 22" bass, and all of the toms (10"/12"/14"/16"/18"). The only drum that didn't have this head was the snare which has a DW branded Remo head that looks similar to a Remo Controlled Sound snare head. I'll be receiving the backordered 8" tom from them tomorrow that I know they just got in from DW this weekend. I'll be very surprised if that doesn't still have the clear/coated DW heads as well. TK-421, have you heard that DW has phased these out all together, or just on certain series? For the record, I knew of this criticism, but didn't let it change my decision to choose DW Performance. It's only a matter of time before you have to switch out the heads anyways. I'm still a new enough drummer that these less desirable heads will be fine for the short term. My plan has always been to swap out to Emperors or Ambassadors as soon as these heads need replacing....maybe even a little earlier.

The clear/coated heads was the only truly negative point I could find against choosing DW Performance. I filtered out most of the DW haters, especially the ones that complained about the price. This might sound goofy to some, but one of the things that I really liked about DW kits (especially Performance series) is it was the only kit I could go onto a resellers site and find everything I wanted. For example, I could go onto sweetwater and create a 2up/1down, or 2up/2down, or 3up/3down, etc.. kit with little effort. I was open to numerous manufacturers (DW, Pearl, Ludwig, Gretsch, Yamaha, Sonor) back in the Spring when I was making my decision. In the end, I decided I wanted a 3up/3down kit. Try going on sweetwater and building a matching 3up/3down kit for any brand other than DW. You can call your sweetwater rep, and he can get back to you with prices. But you can't just "build" it yourself.
Yes, those are the heads I was referring to. I have not heard anything about DW phasing those out. That was merely my observation given that lately when I see Collectors Series in stores or online, they now have Remo/DW Smooth White heads (which definitely sound better). But I’ve only noticed that on the Collectors Series. And since everyone has different head preferences, to me whatever heads a kit comes with makes little difference as I’d most likely swap them out immediately anyway.

Congrats on the new kit!

Thank you all for your responses. (I'm leaning towards Sonor ;) )

One more question though.
I would take the following size configuration :

20" x 16" Bass Drum
8" x 7" Rack Tom
10" x 8" Rack Tom
12" x 8" Rack Tom
14" x 14" Floor Tom

and I would like to add a 16" Floor Tom. Would the 16"x14" or the 16"x16" make more sense?

Thank you all for your responses. (I'm leaning towards Sonor ;) )

One more question though.
I would take the following size configuration :

20" x 16" Bass Drum
8" x 7" Rack Tom
10" x 8" Rack Tom
12" x 8" Rack Tom
14" x 14" Floor Tom

and I would like to add a 16" Floor Tom. Would the 16"x14" or the 16"x16" make more sense?
I would go 16x16 with those sizes you've listed. I would go 12x9 on the second rack tom. I have one and it's a killer. That's what comes with the pre-configured Prolite studio kits. Sizes are personal preference though so get what you want. Just for reference this is mine with....
22x17
8x7
10x8
12x9
14x14
16x16

Attachments

• 22810121416 8x6.jpg
    22810121416 8x6.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Perhaps look at it from a geographic point. If you’re in the US, it’ll just be easier to add drums, or get real service from DW. Regardless what Sonor does, everything will just take longer if you’re having to deal with the distance to Germany (Pearl is like this too). When I wanted to add a drum to my Reference kit, I had to wait eight months. When I added a floor tom to a DW kit, even though they say “12-weeks”, because of my proximity to Oxnard from Los Angeles, I got it in FOUR days! And if I had to talk to someone from DW, I can literally do that.

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2018-04-15-at-8.51.52-PM-300x300.png
    Screen-Shot-2018-04-15-at-8.51.52-PM-300x300.png
    196 KB · Views: 5
  • a279f66b3a5a9df32ddee75d31454796.jpg
    a279f66b3a5a9df32ddee75d31454796.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 5
Perhaps look at it from a geographic point. If you’re in the US, it’ll just be easier to add drums, or get real service from DW. Regardless what Sonor does, everything will just take longer if you’re having to deal with the distance to Germany (Pearl is like this too). When I wanted to add a drum to my Reference kit, I had to wait eight months. When I added a floor tom to a DW kit, even though they say “12-weeks”, because of my proximity to Oxnard from Los Angeles, I got it in FOUR days! And if I had to talk to someone from DW, I can literally do that.
I think the OP lives in Munich, Germany. But yeah, proximity makes a difference.

I would go 16x16 with those sizes you've listed. I would go 12x9 on the second rack tom. I have one and it's a killer. That's what comes with the pre-configured Prolite studio kits. Sizes are personal preference though so get what you want. Just for reference this is mine with....
22x17
8x7
10x8
12x9
14x14
16x16
Nice Set ! I am actually thinking of getting that exact same finish

I have a DW Collector's Maple Standard kit, as well as one flagship and one pro level kit from Tama. The Collector's Maple Standard rivals both of the others. Sonor SQ2s also sound gorgeous. At the flagship level, they truly are all the best, with very subtle differences that only fanatics like us would even hear.

One point on the DW - replaced those horrible forced collar hoops from DW with clear emperors over clear ambassadors and it opened up three-fold. BIG AND BOOMY, sensitive, full, CLEAR tone with a very wide dynamic range.

I would put it on a stage with this configuration against ANYTHING and would not be in the least bit outclassed by whatever anyone else brought to competition.

With shells this thin on either kit, heads make a HUGE difference in sound.

Back