Sonor Force 2001 vs Tama Rockstar????

rpt50

My 15 year old son has been using a 5 piece Tama Rockstar (larger shows), and a 4 piece Sonor Safari (smaller shows) very regularly for gigs. Lately he has been wanting to add a tom to the Sonor, and I have been hunting ebay for the appropriate hardware and a tom that is a reasonable match. However, a Sonor Force 2001 has become available locally and I was wondering if we should just sell the Tama and replace it with the Force 2001. That way, he can mix and match pieces from both sets to suit the gig, My question concerns the relative quality of the Tama Rockstar vs. the Sonor Force 2001(not familiar with this line)---are they both about the same quality? The Rockstar kit has served him well, and I don't want something that is lower quality.

Last edited:

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
Here's my opinion:

Depending on what kind of music and what kind of band your playing in; hardware can be more important than the drums and shells.

If you are recording and or playing soft jazz then the sound of the drum shells is very important.

However, if you play louder music, for example, rock and roll, I think the hardware and cymbals are most important. By hardware I mean the mechanisms that hold the kit together, the bass pedals, the cymbal stands, and how many drum shells you have and how they fit together, etc.

I can make a cheap set of drum shells sound just fine when playing Rolling Stone songs. But if the rest of the kit (hardware) won't hold up, I'm in trouble.

So I say if your using the kit for louder music and going to lots of gigs, keep the kit with the best hardware.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
The 2001 is a very good kit. I'm a big fan of Sonor.

It's a sideways step though. Quality-wise, the Tama and the Sonor are on a similar level and although the Tama is an older design, I wouldn't consider moving to the Sonor. Value-wise they're similar and I wouldn't call it an 'upgrade' as such - unless the Tama is falling apart.

If you're looking to upgrade, you should consider something newer and something a little higher in the respective ranges. What is your budget?

rpt50

Thanks for the input guys. I got a good deal on a single Sonor tom that is a close match for the Safari, so I think we'll just keep the Tama set for the bigger venues.