Sonor experts please help ID this kit.

GeorgesB

Picked up this Sonor set yesterday, missing badges. IMG_3050.JPGIMG_3051.JPGIMG_3052.JPGIMG_3053.JPGIMG_3058.JPGIMG_3059.JPGThey sound great. 12x10, 14x12 and 20x17.5 bass drum. White sparkle lacquer.

force3005

Silver Member
It's between a Force 3001, 3003, 3005 and other Forces of that time. The 3007 on up have different shell hardware. The TAR is the same on all Forces of that era.

fl.tom

White Sparkle lacquer and TAR mounts were introduced in 2003 for the Force 3003 series so it is not likely a Force 3001.

And as @force3005 noted, lugs changed for the Force 3007 (and tom depths were reduced by 1 inch) so it is most likely a Force 3003 or 3005. The 3003 had square metal badges with Maple/Basswood shells and the 3005 had round plastic badges with full Maple shells.

With missing badges, it’s probably easiest to determine which of those two series by looking for the date code on the inside of the shell. The date code is a 3-digit ink stamp under the breather hole (behind the tar mount on toms) on each drum with the first digit being the year and the last two digits being the month of manufacture:

Force 3003: years 2003 and 2004
Force 3005: years 2005 and 2006

Caveat: production usually began in the fall of the previous year of release and often extended into the year after discontinuation so a date stamp of 2005 could be either series... and you’ll have to inspect the shell plies closer to determine wood species.

EDIT: my first guess would be Force 3005 as the round plastic badges were known for coming unglued, but just a hunch...

GeorgesB

The 12" date code is 308 and the 14" is 408.......So I guess mine would be te 3003 series. Thanks for all the info guys. Now I need to find a double tom mount fo this bass drum, since I only got the 3 drums, a Yamaha snare stand and a Tama single tom holder stand with it. Oh and a very nice 1960's 22" Zildjian heavy ride to add to my Zildjian cymbal collection :)

fl.tom

Almost assuredly a Force 3003 with those dates. The bass drum should have a date stamp as well.

If you want to play it as a 2-up, you can use something like the DTH-4000 double tom holder:

Which would also allow you to play it as a 1-up with the 14x12” as a floor tom. Just remove its tom arm from the holder and use a multi-clamp with it to mount the 14” off a cymbal stand.

You could then use the open hole of the double tom holder to mount a cymbal by buying a compatible 3/4” cymbal arm such as the MBA-4000 mini boom:

GeorgesB

I had all the heads off for cleaning and tightening all the screws, could not find a code inside the bass drum. Would these be maple?

Woolwich

Silver Member
As fl.tom said, if they’re 3003 series they’re Maple and Basswood, if they’re 3005 they’re Maple.
I used to have a 3005 kit but I’m no expert. If this was a kit in the UK and I was being forced to decide I’d lean towards the 3003 only because TO THE BEST OF MY KNOWLEDGE and memory I don't think white sparkle was offered as a uk colour option for the 3005. As I recall there were no sparkles and gloss wood finishes were the main offering . But my memory could be off and in other world markets it could be entirely different.
Focusing on the positives, whatever it’s made from it looks good, will sound good and is well made. If even us lot are struggling to know the difference then it kind of doesn’t matter.

This link might help

Or you could join their forum and probably get top advice that’s relevant to where you live.

fl.tom

All these Force series should have date code stamps, but if it’s missing on a particular drum it shouldn’t be a cause for concern. If you don’t see one by the air hole at the bottom of the bass drum shell, it probably just got wiped off by the previous owner(s).

Also, the wood species used for each (from the all basswood 3001 to the all maple 3005 & 3007) are largely insignificant. They were all 9-ply of similar shell design and thickness. You have a good quality and sounding kit in a desirable finish that you should be proud to play. Great find. Congratulations!

Having played on a 3003 for a few years and owned a 3005 I can say it is for certain not a 3005 as the grain in these pics runs vertically. The last time they did this was with the 3003's. As mentioned above the TAR mounts were introduce in 2003 so that eliminates the 3001s. White sparkle was only available in the 3003 line (maple/basswood), and not in the 2003 series (birch/basswood). The 1003s do not have TAR mounts, but the grain still runs vertically.

These will be Force 3003s.

Last edited:

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
Mine was a 3003 and not a 3001 as I previously mentioned. It was a great kit for salty outdoor gigs for a summer. That was the last kit I had or will have with a hanging floor.