Sonor Designer Series Maple Light

bobzilla

I have a pretty old set of Sonor Designer Series drums that seem to be falling apart. I don't get to play as much as I used to, but occasionally (a few times a year) I have a few gigs.

I've noticed that some of the plastic parts of the kit are literally just breaking off. If you look at the pics you'll see what I mean. Are these parts replaceable at this point? The set is probably early 90s?

Thanks for any input!

Bob

Attachments

wildbill

Platinum Member
I didn't see anything with a quick search, but IMO, plastic doesn't belong on drums.
It will deteriorate over time, and drums should last a long time.

cbphoto

Gold Member
Did the plastic harden & crack? Or is it rubber?

I've got a Tama kit with StarCast mounts. They use rubber grommets to connect the bracket to the rim. Mine are over ten years old and show no signs of aging/fatigue/oxidation.

They may decay over time, and I don't know of a rubber compound that doesn't, but replacement grommets are readily found & purchased.

Valentino

Hi, can anyone tell me if Sonor Designer 'Light Maple" are actually LIGHT OR HEAVY drums. Have Pearl Masters Premium Maple and they are LIGHT drums compared to a Sonor Performer kit I had (poplar) ? Come on, come on, let's STICK together !!!

Hi, can anyone tell me if Sonor Designer 'Light Maple" are actually LIGHT OR HEAVY drums. Have Pearl Masters Premium Maple and they are LIGHT drums compared to a Sonor Performer kit I had (poplar) ? Come on, come on, let's STICK together !!!
The shells are light, the hardware is not. They are heavy compared to my 60s Slingerlands for sure, but definitely lighter than the ultra-heavy Sonor drums of the past--and only the snare has diecast hoops. My bass drum is quite heavy on account of the track and "rocket launcher" hardware, not to mention my long lugs. But all that chrome is oh-so-beautiful to me. Unfortunately, I don't have my kit here to weigh a drum or two for example, but bottom line, the drum weight is probably in line with many modern kits--perhaps on the heavy side of average if I were to guess due to the hardware. Bass drum definitely on the heavy side. The kit is a real head-turner, so worth it. Hope this helps.

I have a pretty old set of Sonor Designer Series drums that seem to be falling apart. I don't get to play as much as I used to, but occasionally (a few times a year) I have a few gigs.

I've noticed that some of the plastic parts of the kit are literally just breaking off. If you look at the pics you'll see what I mean. Are these parts replaceable at this point? The set is probably early 90s?

Thanks for any input!

Bob
Wow, I never see green sparkle Designers like mine! Let alone what appears to be an 8" tom (?)--which I had to custom order to add on to my 10/12/14/16/22 setup. Beautiful drums whose finish was discontinued after a short while. This is an old post to reply to now, but FWIW most of my Tunesafe pieces have crumbled. While this was definitely a design flaw, it does NOT reflect poor design of the rest of the kit. Sonor has always been ahead of its time--and sometimes that results in a flub (NOT often with Sonor). But without the external Tunesafe, they probably never would have developed the internal subsequent version. And the drums are FABULOUS even without them. I haven't really had issues with the tuning rods backing out; certainly no more than with other kits. Anyway, I haven't replaced mine but I probably will eventually. The OCD part of me wants Tunesafe to make the drums as new, but I frankly have never really liked tuning-protection solutions that create resistance, as I partially go by feel when I'm tuning--especially when initially getting the rods finger-tight. For this, Canopus leather washers would seem to be a perfect solution. I may try them instead.

ZDrumMan

I use Sonor Designers (and no, light does not mean they are light). I just used ST Drums for those tune safe (lug plastic/rubber) pieces - I ordered 80 of them and received them. Two points of note - they are about $0.40 each and for 80 of them it was $40 shipping. So roughly a buck a piece. The other thing is they are VERY tight. I had to drill them out a bit for the lugs to fit. In other words, I just scarred the inside with a drill bit, not completely widened the parts.
Aside: NEVER have a cat litter box in the room or near your Sonors. That dust will eat those parts.