Sonor bass drum tom mount wing screw

GeorgesB

I need the wing screw for a Sonor 3000 series bass drum tom mount, don't need the entire tom mount holder just the wing screw. I have searched the hardware stores for the right size just can't seem to find it (tom mount is not removed and I don't want to force it off for fear of cracking the lacquer around it)......

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1053.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1053.jpeg
    282.2 KB · Views: 1
Per my reply to your first thread under Other Gear, I was not able to find this M8 x 37mm wing bolt in stock from any Sonor Dealer or from any hardware or fastener supplier... and that included North America, Europe and Asia.

I have been restoring drum kits since the ‘70s and have 35+ years experience in electronic & mechanical system engineering so I can humbly reassure you that I’m very resourceful :cool: and believe your best two options are:

1. Order Sonor part # 145 941 81 from your preferred Sonor dealer. If you don’t have one, stdrums in Germany is very good at ordering Sonor small parts with very reasonable prices including shipping. Contact Gerd at [email protected]

2. Buy a used mount on eBay or similar. This option may require a wait, but low cost deals do appear. And you do -not- need to replace the entire mount on your bass drum... just:

A. Unscrew the wing bolt from the used mount.

B. Turn your bass drum upside down so the receiving nut falls into place behind the bolt hole, and then screw in the used wing bolt.

I have also replaced several of these mounts and the three bolt sleeves do fit tightly into the bass drum holes. If you do decide to go this route, just let me know and I’ll be happy to provide some tips.

BTW, please keep in mind this bass drum tom mount was -not- used on the Force 3000 series... that model was different. This one was used on the Force x001 - x007 series so it is important to reference it to the 3003 or even 3001-3007 series rather 3000 when you talk to suppliers.

Best of luck!

EDIT: The above options presume you are looking for an original or near-original replacement and don’t wish to use an alternate bolt head type as suggested in my other reply.

Last edited:
Per my reply to your first thread under Other Gear, I was not able to find this M8 x 37mm wing bolt in stock from any Sonor Dealer or from any hardware or fastener supplier... and that included North America, Europe and Asia.

I have been restoring drum kits since the ‘70s and have 35+ years experience in electronic & mechanical system engineering so I can humbly reassure you that I’m very resourceful :cool: and believe your best two options are:

1. Order Sonor part # 145 941 81 from your preferred Sonor dealer. If you don’t have one, stdrums in Germany is very good at ordering Sonor small parts with very reasonable prices including shipping. Contact Gerd at [email protected]

2. Buy a used mount on eBay or similar. This option may require a wait, but low cost deals do appear. And you do -not- need to replace the entire mount on your bass drum... just:

A. Unscrew the wing bolt from the used mount.

B. Turn your bass drum upside down so the receiving nut falls into place behind the bolt hole, and then screw in the used wing bolt.

I have also replaced several of these mounts and the three bolt sleeves do fit tightly into the bass drum holes. If you do decide to go this route, just let me know and I’ll be happy to provide some tips.

BTW, please keep in mind this bass drum tom mount was -not- used on the Force 3000 series... that model was different. This one was used on the Force x001 - x007 series so it is important to reference it to the 3003 or even 3001-3007 series rather 3000 when you talk to suppliers.

Best of luck!

EDIT: The above options presume you are looking for an original or near-original replacement and don’t wish to use an alternate bolt head type as suggested in my other reply.

Thank you for the detailed info......that photo I posted was a stock photo from an Ebay ad, this is my actual bass drum mount, I thought it was a Force 3000 series....

Attachments

• IMG_3052.JPG
    IMG_3052.JPG
    764.8 KB · Views: 2
You’re quite welcome.

Yes, your mount and the one in the stock photo are the same, and it was used on the later Force x001 through x007 series (made in China).

The original Force 3000 series (made in Germany) used a mount with a round base, and looked like this:

1576184821192.jpeg

Hi @GeorgesB,

In case you come across these vintage Sonor wing bolts on eBay, just wanted you to know they’re too short...

I couldn’t remember the vintage length so I messaged the seller to verify and they’re only 30mm.

If ordering new isn’t an option, I’ll try to keep you in mind while looking for other things. As mentioned in the other thread, you can always use a standard 40mm bolt with different head type while your searching for a replacement.

Hi GeorgesB. You need a European metric thread. The difference between the two is the pitch of the thread. European is not as common as Asian metric thread, unless if you live in the EU.

Last edited:
Yes, I bought a 8mm x 40mm bolt from hardware store but it does not fit, unable to thread it.
Ok, did you turn the bass drum upside down to ensure the receiving nut is behind the bolt hole?

Shining a flashlight in the hole may help to verify.

Unless the threads in the nut are damaged or the bolt purchased was a 8mm Fine with 1.0 pitch, a 8mm Standard/Coarse with 1.25 pitch (i.e. M8-1.25) should work.

EDIT: Will verify pitch on kit at church today...

Last edited:
Ok, took apart one of these mounts and did some testing with a number of different M8 bolts and nuts. Some key points to note are:

— The diameter and pitch for this bolt and nut configuration are definitely 8mm and 1.25mm respectively.

— The metric threads on Sonor wing bolts (whether made in Germany or China) appear to conform more to legacy German DIN standards for general purpose bolts/screws than contemporary ISO/DIN/ANSI standards currently in use internationally. In particular, thread form (profile) and/or tolerances are slightly tighter.

— The nut used in the mount is a nylon-insert lock nut and the nylon appears to be “pre-cut” for legacy DIN threads. It still provides some resistance when the default Sonor bolt is threaded, but nowhere near the resistance it should as a typical lock nut.

— Given the latter, when a contemporary M8-1.25 bolt is inserted into the nut, it easily threads into the initial metal portion (about 1/4”), but requires more force to thread once it reaches the nylon insert... just like a typical lock nut.

— This is the mount I temporarily used a 40mm long machine bolt until I replaced it with the Sonor wing bolt, and there seems to be no deterioration of the nylon insert or resistance compared to the same mount on another kit. Thus, temporarily using the slightly different metric thread bolt did not damage it.

Given the above, and provided the threads on the mount are not damaged or blocked by a broken bolt, a current ISO M8-1.25 x 40mm bolt can be temporarily used in place of a Sonor wing bolt.

Please let us know how you make out, @GeorgesB

Also, if you’d prefer not to force your 40mm bolt through the nylon insert nut, I can provide some pointers how to safely remove the mount without damaging the lacquer finish. You can then temporarily insert a non-locking nut to use with the 40mm bolt.

EDIT: Clarified it’s just the nylon portion of the nut that is pre-cut.

Last edited:
Back