Sonor AQ2 announced

Sounds very interesting.

I wonder if it's going to be in the same price range as the Force line.

You'd think they'd want a piece of the $1500-$2000 4-piece shell pack market. I loved the Ascent line, and I absolutely adore the SQ1's, even though I think $2499 is a bit too high for a 3-piece birch kit.

I'm curious and love Sonor nonetheless.

SQ1 is made in Germany. The AQ2 has not been released yet, only teased. If it is to be a mid-line kit, it could likely be made in China or Taiwan like their Force and Ascent Series drums are/were.

I did'nt know if you were replying to me but.. if you were.. you missed my sarcasm. If not then.. nevermind. : )

I wonder if it's going to be in the same price range as the Force line.
Good question. It will depend on where they build the drums obviously. Chances are based on the companys recent hstory - wherever those drums will be built - that Sonor will demand more for virtually nothing. As has been done with the SQ2 and ProLites, snares and hardware that suddenly got significantly more expensive while being the same stuff they made before. ("We are now boutique")

Good question. It will depend on where they build the drums obviously. Chances are based on the companys recent hstory - wherever those drums will be built - that Sonor will demand more for virtually nothing. As has been done with the SQ2 and ProLites, snares and hardware that suddenly got significantly more expensive while being the same stuff they made before. ("We are now boutique")

Much like the Ludwig snares

At least in the UK it's as much to do with the weaker pound compared to the Euro as it is price increases at the German end.

That web site shows Sonor has modified it's Safari and Bop shells to being maple now from the prior poplar. Also, the Safari bass drum dimensions are now 16x15 from prior 16x16, the Bop bass drum is 18x14, down from the prior 18x16.

This shell change should make both kits all the more appealing now.

Well those are just the Safari/Bop within the AQ2 range. The ORIGINAL Safari and Bop are still there in the specialty drums section both showing POPLAR wood like before.

http://www.sonor.com/instruments/drums/special-edition-series/safari-se/

http://www.sonor.com/instruments/drums/special-edition-series/bop-se/

Hello everyone. IMO, Sonor will drop all poplar lines and will replace with AQ2 as will it replace the Select Force sometime in the last quarter of this year or the first quarter of 2018. Have to deplete back stock of poplar, Select kits and build up with AQ2.

Last edited:
New to the Forum.
Hi everyone; I'm a newbie - been visiting the forum for a few months but this is my first post. Just wanted to say that the new SONOR AQ2 line is similar to the SSE's . But there are some definite differences-especially the new tom mounts and the fact that the new shells are maple instead of poplar.

The bummer is that there's about a $500 jump in price point. I just found out after recently (4 days ago) purchasing an ESF Studio 5 pc . Now you can find ESF and SEF kits that were in the $1200 range going for $800... to make room for the new AQ2stock.

Here's a link: https://reverb.com/item/6938903-sonor-aq2-studio-set-brown-fade

Eski in Acapulco
Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz
PDP Concept Maple CM7
Sonor ESF Studio 5-pc Birch
Zildjian/Meinl/Vic Firth/DW Hardware

Last edited:
...the fact that the new shells are maple instead of poplar
Only the small bop kits had poplar shells, the other medium-range drums that got replaced with the AQ2 already had birch or maple shells. ;-)

Another huge difference is that you got all the hardware with the old kits, while the new ones are only(!) shells but still more expensive than the old offerings WITH hardware. For me, those AQ2 drums are a complete rip-off to be honest. Just like any other Sonor drum nowadays. Insane prices for drums that don't stand out from the crowd, neither from a musical point of view nor from a built-quality point of view.

Back