Songs with stutters

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
So I thought I'd try and stretch the wrinkles out of your brains and ask you guys and gals to scour your minds for songs that have stutters in them. I can only think of a few, it's a little difficult. I'll name one now:

George Thorogood's "Bad To The Bone"

B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-Bad...

You get the idea.

Go!

Good topic Uncle Larry.......Changes by David Bowie

So let's qualify songs that stutter or songs that slur words into oblivion? Stutters there is the Beach boys Ba,Ba,Ba, Barbara Ann and then Elton Ba, Ba, Ba Benny and the Jets

For all you Chia Pet lovers out there.

Cha cha cha chia.

See now this is just an abuse of the topic.

:)

Hey good ones Art. "Benny and the Jets", duh

Slurs? Why not. Knock yourself out.

BTO Ain't seen nothin yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7miRCLeFSJo

Allegedly, the stutter was making fun of the bass player for some reason.

EDIT:

Citing: Song Facts

Randy Bachman didn't intend to release this song with the stuttering vocal. He sang it with the stutter to poke fun at his brother, Gary, who had a speech impediment. During microphone checks, he would sing it with the stutter and recorded a version that was intended just for Gary. His record company liked it a lot better than the non-stuttering version, so that's the one they released. Eventually, Gary stopped stuttering.

BTO Ain't seen nothin yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7miRCLeFSJo

Allegedly, the stutter was making fun of the bass player for some reason.

EDIT:

Citing: Song Facts

Randy Bachman didn't intend to release this song with the stuttering vocal. He sang it with the stutter to poke fun at his brother, Gary, who had a speech impediment. During microphone checks, he would sing it with the stutter and recorded a version that was intended just for Gary. His record company liked it a lot better than the non-stuttering version, so that's the one they released. Eventually, Gary stopped stuttering.

Ack, this was my#3 song. In fact this was the tune that gave me the idea for the thread. I heard it last night on the drive home from the gig.

Great story! Love those kinds of factoids.

Oh fine Larry.

Guns n Roses, "Welcome to the jungle".

N-N-N-N-N-N-N-N knees, knees...

Good one. The chia thing was thinking outside the box, it was actually very original.

This is more fun than I thought. I thought I was going to get the "We've officially run out of things to talk about" comment. I was hesitant to make this thread. Glad I did. There's probably lots of songs with stutters.

or songs that slur words into oblivion?

Iron Butterfly: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

From Wiki-"The song was supposed to have been named "In The Garden of Eden," but the singer was slurring his words when he told Ron Bushy, the drummer, the title, and the garbled name stuck."

Nirvana: Smells Like Teen Spirit

It's probably just me but I can only ever understand half of what Cobain is singing/yelling.

Slurs...people will say "Louie Louie".

If you ever wanted to hear every word of the lyric of "Louie Louie" in crystal clear clarity, for your consideration, I submit to you, the original version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-2CKsaq5r8

If you haven't heard the original from 1957, you're missing out. The bass line cracks me up. The plinky guitar chords are perfectly chosen. The drums play one beat front to back. Nice background vocals, doo wop-ish I guess. Soulful yet corny.

I remember reading a long time ago that the FBI tried to decipher the lyrics and couldn't. Why the FBI would want to do that....maybe they were trying to uncover coded encrypted communist messages in rock music lol.

All they had to do was seek out the original (duh!) and when you know the lyrics, you can then understand the Kingsmen's version.

One less popular example: Charley Patton's "Spoonful" (who Howlin' Wolf and Clapton later covered, and totally changed it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyIquE0izAg

I think this one song contains every single Fn crucial element of blues music. I could never understand what the hell Charley was saying...then I found the lyrics and I don't understand why I couldn't pick them out before.

You have to click "Show More" to see the full lyrics. I could go on and on about the nuances of this tune. What a badass this guy was. One nuance I like a lot is the fact that he only says the word "spoonful" one time, the first time it comes up. Every other time it would be spoken... he substitutes a 2 note slide figure, imitating his voice with the guitar. Seminal. Probably the deepest blues song I can think of. Parchment Farm? He was around then? Worked at Dockery's Farm? Yea I'm hooked. Charley could project his voice like no one else, it can be painful sometimes. He can sound like more than one person too. I'd better stop now, while I can.

Last edited:
I'm just having fun with you Larry.

As soon as I saw the "songs with stutters" tittle, I sang out loud "cha cha cha chia ! "
I now cannot get that cursed jingle out of my head.

I'm just having fun with you Larry.

As soon as I saw the "songs with stutters" tittle, I sang out loud "cha cha cha chia ! "
I now cannot get that cursed jingle out of my head.

Look man, there's no fun here, got it? Now wipe that smile off your face. And take off that cape already!

My remedy when you have a song stuck in your head...think of a different song.

"Twist and Shout" works for me.

“Psycho Killer” by the Talking Head

Tommy James & the Shondells "Crimson and Clover", not sure if this one would count?

Back