Songs with misleading time signature intros (or "Where's the 1?")

The most notorious is Rock n Roll by Led Zeppelin but what other songs do you know that start on something other than the 1 which leads to confusion?

i.e when the rest of the band comes in and it is established that the 1 is not where you thought it was?

I've got
Jerry Harrison - Rev it up
Jesus he knows me - Genesis
You Just Like me 'Cos I'm Good in Bed - Skyhooks
The Monkees - Pleasant Valley Sunday

???
This which starts at 3:26 (the where's the one part).

Of course all musicians are top notch and she is not bad either I think she was 13 or 14 at the time.

I recently joined a rock cover band and Panama by Van Halen is on the setlist. I've listened to the intro many times and I'm still not sure where beat 1 is. :LOL:

I'm sure all of you will hear it on the first try, but I just haven't figured it out yet.

I trained on it last night for 20 mins before leaving for the gig. Same result here. Wait, what's that first 1 doing? No band rehearsal on this one and it seemed to start right on stage but immediately the guit was doing something foreign sounding. Took the 2nd progression before we could get together.

Kings of Leon........."Sex On Fire".

I'm pretty sure that the 1 is buried somewhere along with 2 3 and 4.

That little rascal 1.

That whole album sounds like 1 (or 2 guys at max) wrote and produced it.

Take It Easy by the Eagles comes to mind as well. The beginning of that always throws me a bit.

Spirits In The Material World. Problem is that my brain is so used to hearing it incorrectly that I'd need a click running through it to make it NOT feel lopsided.
I struggled with this one for years. I finally figured out that there's no 8th note shift between the verses and choruses- the verse is like fast reggae music, with the bass drum on 2 and 4, and the keyboard part playing on the Ands. So, from verse to chorus, the snare drum on the chorus just takes over the 2 and 4 where the bass drum was. And even after coming to understand this, the verses still throw me sometimes, to the point where I have to focus on it to "straighten it out" in my head.

And then there is always "Honky Tonk Woman".

The cowbell actually starts on one but the first snare hit is on 3 before the normal 2&4

I studied that for a minute and decided Charlie deserved more respect from me.

And then there is always "Honky Tonk Woman".

The cowbell actually starts on one but the first snare hit is on 3 before the normal 2&4
And of 3. :)

Dave Matthews Band - You Never Know

I call it you never know (how to count it)
This one is deceptive because they accent the two (or the and of one if you count it in half time). It starts on one, but the downbeat isn't emphasizes - they punch the two instead. Even when Carter plays the triplet fill, he carries it over the bar line and ends the roll on two.

took me a second ok 20 seconds

1 2 e an da 3 & 4

Last edited:
Back