Songs that mention other songs

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Preferably from the same band, but it doesn't have to be.

The Mamas and Papas had a song "Creeque Alley" where they mentioned "California Dreamin"

C.M. Jones

In the country song "It's Five O'Clock Somewhere," Alan Jackson mentions "Margaritaville," by Jimmy Buffet, two times. He even invokes Buffett with the line "What would Jimmy Buffett do?"

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Megadeth - Victory

The song is a chronological (somewhat) list of Megadeth songs and albums, and I think is Dave Mustaines way of dealing with being an asshole, a drug addict, and a normal human being. The lyrics:

Now, one day I started telling everyone that "Killing Is My Business..."
And I was hung like a martyr
For "Looking Down the Cross" my "Skull Beneath the Skin"
Prophesied "Last Rites/Loved to Death" my friends
Then I started seeing "Bad Omens" in my head
"Good Mourning/Black Friday, " will I "Wake Up Dead"?
If "I Ain't Superstitious" then this won't mean a thing
But some crazy shit has happened since "The Conjuring"

Not even close... To overdose!
Had fingers in my eyes, had needles in my veins
A knife right through my heart, I am a victory

Came "Anarchy" to "Set the World Afire"
Pain of "Hook in Mouth, " "In My Darkest Hour"
Corruption of the world, "Peace Sells... But Nobody's Buying"
Ignorant religion, "Holy Wars" and the dying
"Tornado" nearly got me by the "Skin O'My Teeth"
"This Was My Life, " "Foreclosure of My Dreams"
May the past "Rust in Peace" in "Hangar 18"
And "Countdown to Extinction" just be a bad dream
"Lucretia" said...

The song titles are in "Quotes".

beatdat

In "How Do You Sleep?", John Lennon mentions "Sgt. Pepper" and "Yesterday".

Naigewron

Platinum Member
Spock's Beard - June
References another Spock's Beard song with the line "and the crowd kept on singing Waste Away but it just didn't feel right"

Then there's this madness verse from Dream Theater's song "Octavarium" which just makes one long run-on sentence from the names of other songs and artists:
Sailing on the seven seize the day tripper diem's ready
Jack the ripper Owens Wilson Phillips and my supper's ready
Lucy in the sky with diamond Dave's not here I come to save the
Day for nightmare cinema show me the way to get back home again

Flaflaflafla

Not a direct reference but Zeppelin’s song The Crunge keeps asking “where’s the bridge?” which basically quotes every James Brown song. In fact I guess the whole song is a parody. (Aside: as good as Bonham‘s feel was, he could not play the funk)

DrummerJustLikeDad

In the album’s closer, It (indeed the song in which Genesis says goodbye to their Fox in a red dress), clever, punny Pete riffs on the Rolling Stones and sings, “It’s only knock and knowall, but I like it,” on The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, 1974.

Of course, the entire two-album epic begins (using no puns and with the complete musical quote) with the Drifters, “On Broadway” during the album’s title track.

NackAttack

Rage Against the Machine self titled. At the beginning of “Know Your Enemy” he mentions “Bombtrack.”

Naigewron

Platinum Member
Rage Against the Machine self titled. At the beginning of “Know Your Enemy” he mentions “Bombtrack.”
Not sure he's referencing Bombtrack. What he says is "coming at you with another bomb track", which might just be him saying "Here's another cool song for you". Who knows though?

Al Strange

In his solo track “North Winds”, David Coverdale references Led Zep’s “The Song Remains The Same”...in the Coverdale Page track “Take a Look at Yourself” he references “North Winds”...:unsure:

NackAttack

Not sure he's referencing Bombtrack. What he says is "coming at you with another bomb track", which might just be him saying "Here's another cool song for you". Who knows though?
I think you’re right, it’s just the first thing I thought of when I read this post. I think it might be kind of common in their songs. Off the top of my head there is another song where he says something about having “bullets in their head,” but it’s not the track “Bullet in the Head.” I just don’t like passing up a chance to talk about ratm lol.

Neilage

Glass Onion (Beatles) - mentions Fool on the Hill and I am the Walrus (Beatles)
Sweet Home Alabama (Skynyrd) - Mentions Southern Man (by Neil Young)

Glass Onion also mentions "Strawberry Fields".

P

Peedy

Giving away a little of my youth musical tastes: Cypress Hill sure does have a lot of Phuncky Feeling going on, over and over and (ad nauseam).

Pete

Hewitt2

Giving away a little of my youth musical tastes: Cypress Hill sure does have a lot of Phuncky Feeling going on, over and over and (ad nauseam).

Pete

Your appreciation of cypress hill is probably also giving away some of your "recreational" tastes as a youth 🌱

P

Peedy

Your appreciation of cypress hill is probably also giving away some of your "recreational" tastes as a youth 🌱

Tried it once. Didn’t inhale. Didn’t like it.

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Peter Schilling had an 80's hot with the Song Major Tom, which continued the story started in David Bowie's Space Oddity. Though I suppose the words "space oddity" aren't in the actual song.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Just last week, the band Coheed and Cambria released a song called "Jessie's Girl 2" which continues the story started by Rick Springfield's 1981 song. And Rick himself appears in the video. The song also references 867-5309 by Tommy Tutone.

P

Peedy

Billy Joel’s We Didn’t Start the Fire. “Rock Around the Clock”.