Songs for Beginners?

3rddrummer

So I have listened to country music my whole life. It was what my dad listened to and that’s just what I stuck with. Now I just got a set a few weeks ago and am now realizing I need to broaden my music taste. Is there anything anyone would suggest listening to? Also beginner songs as I have only started playing drums.

Thanks,

Bennyinthejets

BEFORE IS TOO LATE listen to this (to broaden horizons):

wow...where to begin?

I was sort of the opposite of you. I grew up with a heavy jazz influence, and then became a metalhead/punk rocker in the early 80's. Did marching band etc in high school, and majored in percussion in college. Currently am a band director/percussion instructor now. I hated country...until I started playing it in a band a few years ago with friends. Now I tolerate it, but i love rockabilly, which we play a lot of as well

so here some of the songs on my "Metronome" playlist on Spotify...should give you a smattering of different things to try:
Dynamite - Jamiroquai
Information - Dredg
Snap Your fingers Snap Your Neck - Prong
Superstition - Stevie Wonder
Peg - Steely Dan
Saved By Zero - The Fixx
It's Tricky - Run DMC
Desert Rose - Sting
DAnce Little Sister - Terence Trent D'Arby
What You Know - Two Door Cinema Club

you could probably try playing along to many of these...I use this list to teach my kids about groove across and of different styles

It's all taste. I'd suggest classic rock, 60s-80s maybe. Find a playlist and see what you like and don't like.

Picking songs to play depends on your taste and how much of a challenge you want, but here's my 2 cents:

Bad Moon Rising - CCR
Back in Black - AC/DC
November Rain - Guns N Roses
Immigrant Song - Zeppelin (build foot speed, endurance, and coordination)
And if you like these, there are hundreds more you could pick.

ZZ Top - I Thank You, Tush, Got me Under Pressure
journey - Lovin Touchin Squeezin
Nirvana - Come as You Are
AC/DC - most of the "Back in Black" album
U2 - Bullet the Blue Sky
Judas Priest - Breaking the Law, Living After Midnight

A little more advanced
Godsmack - Whatever
Godsmack - Keep Away
ZZ Top - Cheap Sun glasses

Definitely not what I’m used to but fun to listen to. I will be listening to more of it.

Thanks

In escence drummers from the 70´s are Harvey Mason, Mouzon, Cobham, Gadd, Mike Clark, Gerry Brown, Narada Michael Walden, James Bradley Jr., Tony Williams, etc would be easier to start and get a CULTURE as a drummer because you might find that music not so alien to you as before and after periods, then easy, alone you can go to older or more current drummers, example 60´s (again Tony Williams, Jack DeJohnette, Elvin Jones, Roy Haynes, etc), 50´s 40´s , or the other way 80´s , 90´s, 2000´s...I¨m talking about SERIOUS drumming.

Harvey Mason:

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who responded. I will be listening to all of them especially the ones that are going to give me a new taste of musical style.

Thanks again

Bennyinthejets

Island in the Sun by Weezer
Psycho Killer and Take Me to the River by Talking Heads
You Really Got a Hold on Me by the Beatles

If you want to stay with country music, practice the train beat. Very popular groove in country
Played as 16th notes
1,e,a played as ghost notes
Accent the &'s

1/8 notes on your feet ( kick 1,2,3,4 hi hat on the &'s

Once your comfortable with that, add more accents
I might try this as well thank you

For a beginner drummer, The Dave Clark Five is a good place to start.

If that's fun, then some top 40 stuff from the 60's. A lot of top 40 music from that era has very good drum parts that aren't too chops heavy. Most of that stuff translates to almost any kind of music.

funny that I have been drumming for 40+ years, and am taking notes on some new stuff to play to here...

you never stop learning!!!!

So I have listened to country music my whole life. It was what my dad listened to and that’s just what I stuck with. Now I just got a set a few weeks ago and am now realizing I need to broaden my music taste. Is there anything anyone would suggest listening to? Also beginner songs as I have only started playing drums.

Thanks,

Bennyinthejets

Learn side 1 of 2112 by Rush. Just kidding, better get a few more months of experience before you try and tackle Peart.

Thanks for posting this thread, Benny! It's coming at just the right time, as my nephew has just started playing drums and has asked me for some recommendations of music to play along to. He's twelve and a complete beginner, so it's been a bit challenging coming up with ideas, but here's what I've got so far:

Neil Young and Crazy Horse
Creedence
The Ramones first album
REM - Reckoning, Document

And as a country music fan, a criminally underrated band that I think you'd love is The Jayhawks. Their album "Hollywood Town Hall" is one of my favorite albums to play along to. Check it out:

Thanks for posting this thread, Benny! It's coming at just the right time, as my nephew has just started playing drums and has asked me for some recommendations of music to play along to. He's twelve and a complete beginner, so it's been a bit challenging coming up with ideas, but here's what I've got so far:

Neil Young and Crazy Horse
Creedence
The Ramones first album
REM - Reckoning, Document

And as a country music fan, a criminally underrated band that I think you'd love is The Jayhawks. Their album "Hollywood Town Hall" is one of my favorite albums to play along to. Check it out:

My actual name is Ben. Long story short it was a name that I came up with while playing games online and it just stuck with me. Thanks again to everyone has replied

Learn side 1 of 2112 by Rush. Just kidding, better get a few more months of experience before you try and tackle Peart.
To me it wasn't that I couldn't play what Peart played, it was that I was not interested in spending the time learning all the changes in a single song to play it accurately, same thing with Dream Theater, I don't find it too difficult to play, i just don't have the patience to want to learn it. There are other great drummers that are not as well known, but their playing is top notch. (King Diamond's Abigail or Them) are examples of great drumming that doesn't get the recognition it deserves. I guess the vocals turn a lot of people off, same thing happens with Messhuggah. Now I find Messhuggah a lot harder to play than any Rush song... I'm not saying either one is better than the other it is just how I learn patterns, to me I could break down Peart Patterns, I can't seem to be able to do the same with Thomas Haake's....

Last edited:
Back