Something I've noticed about Meshuggah

bud7h4

Silver Member
Their music, their sound, is so remarkably consistent, yet every single song is it's own monolithic entity within that larger, focused structure.
Obviously other bands share these qualities, but the extent to which Meshuggah does is extraordinary.

Just thinking out loud., waiting on my pizza lol.

I don't call it "structure" but more phases. Like Steely Dan, one of my all time faves, have gone through many phases. Probably the band with most phases going from 60s-2000s was The Bee Gees. Which I'm no fan. But I like the idea bands build on ideas/themes which I guess is structure=never mind LOL.

Chicago Transit Authority (then just Chicago) fit that same bill for me. No two albums ever sounded the same, but you always knew it was Chicago.

I agree, they have that thing. You know it's them when you hear it, and regardless of song it's just huge. They definitely know how to create bang your head quality confusing music that contains massive groove. Personally I think they absolutely rule the djent-y genres. They don't get enough musicianship credit either. Their music ain't exactly easy.

They are quite possibly the creators of the “djent” sound.
Mr. Haake is one of my all time favorites.

I’ll leave this here:

I agree Symbolic - they do what they do extremely well. I wasn’t sure who coined the term if it was them, media, fans, etc... Yes djent is the low guitar tuning style - Honorable mention and I think key supplement, is Tomas Haake’s pockenholz snare he used at the time

That thing cracks like nothing I’ve ever heard and was a sudden off timed bang to the low buzzing and crunch of the guitar trio.

Back