Something completely different - old one with blunder

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Reading the Drummer Mess Ups thread made me think of this old recording where I made a doozy of a blunder at 2:23 followed by a quick wallpaper job. Some of you might find it fun.

It's a long, long way from my current band's style - very alternative, a bit like The Art Bears and Slapp Happy. Listening back, I think I played better back then lol ... in 1981 ... 30 years ago! (says Ms Methuselah)

Quality is rough ... recorded on a small cassette player at practice, and the tape sat around for 25 years before being converted to digital.

PQ, if you're reading - would there be any way of EQing this single mono file to sound a bit better?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN78b_m8F0s

Stroman

Platinum Member
Well, I wouldn't call that a doozy of a blunder! I had to listen a couple of times to really hear it. To me, a doozy is one that totally breaks the flow or tempo of a song, and that didn't really. There's a big difference in not playing what you meant/wanted to play and really screwing up badly!

Cool stuff! I listened to a lot of alternative in the 80s, and this fits the genre but is quite unique, too. Me likey.

There is a free program called Audacity that has tools for EQing and so forth. You can simply import the audio file and then tinker with it. You can also use it for recording using your computer.

Nice work, Pol!

PQleyR

Platinum Member
Yeah, you could probably make it sound slightly more appealing with some carefully applied EQ. No big transformation, but there's some very pronounced midrange frequencies that could be gently reduced to improve the overall sound. I'll have a go if you like, probably wouldn't take long.

If I'd not been listening out for a mistake I wouldn't have heard one, to be quite honest.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
What blunder at 2:23? I'm not hearing it. If you mean that little tom piece, I think it fits just fine. I prefer it to a repeat of the one in the next bar.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Not sure I've heard a blunder like that on any of your posting, lads :p I can still remember our bassist throwing his head back in laughter when I did it.

I guess the quirky timing and general weirdness of the song probably helps - if people aren't sure what to expect then how do they know it's a boo boo?

ID, I completely broke the flow for an eighth note ... I've always been a pretty quick recoverer.

Cool stuff! I listened to a lot of alternative in the 80s, and this fits the genre but is quite unique, too. Me likey.
Cheers, I miss that band. If I had my druthers I'd play in a band just like that today and have to satisfy myself with slightly warping and corrupting a loungey band (who enjoy the corruption process :) Most alt rock groups tend to be heavier than this one.

PQ, I tweaked in Audacity already but I'm crap at it. Are you talking about 800-1k?

PQleyR

Platinum Member
It's more like 300Hz, a lot of nasty stuff tends to go on around there. Experiment with 250-500Hz and see if it makes a difference. 1kHz can be very...nosey...so also worth playing around with...but it was more the low mids I noticed.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Ta PQ. I've read that 300-400 and 800-1k are the danger bands. Will see if I can find the wav and try again.