Some wankin', groovin', and jammin'

zambizzi

Platinum Member
That'll be the title of my first DVD. :p Anyhow, I picked up a Pearl Reference kit from eBay a couple of weeks ago and damn! They're incredible drums and I'm just beginning to find the sweet spot on them...every time I tune them I'm more impressed.

I thought I'd share some sounds...

Here's a couple of clips from band practice last week. I didn't quite have them tuned as well as I would have liked, at that point).

Warm up - first thing that came to mind once everyone plugged in.

And, a weird little impromptu jam.

And attached are some clips from last night, after re-tuning everything. Nothing special, just testing out the mics after tuning up.

Thanks!

Attachments

frank0072

Gold Member
I'm listening to "ref groovin" and it sounds great, not only the drums, but also the groove :). Great cymbals too. What are they?

zambizzi

Platinum Member
I'm listening to "ref groovin" and it sounds great, not only the drums, but also the groove :). Great cymbals too. What are they?
Thanks!

All Sabian...

21" Groove Ride (can REALLY be heard clearly w/ extra condenser mics in band recordings)
19" Jojo Fierce Crash
19" Paragon Chinese
17" HHX Evolution Crash
14" AAX X-Celerator hats
10" Paragon Splash

brittc89

Pioneer Member
Im listenin to the jam and it sounds good man. I just have a question, do you ever take into account where you are falling in terms of the beat (ahead, behind, dead on), because Im hearing you slightly behind the beat, and the band is definitely not behind the beat and its giving it a weighed down sound to my ear. Also, make sure if youre gonna roll doubles on the hats theyre cccclllleeeeaaaaannnn, theres nothing thats gonna point out a failed double stroke roll like youre hats. Youre very solid man and I can hear improvement ever time you post, keep at it.

zambizzi

Platinum Member
Im listenin to the jam and it sounds good man. I just have a question, do you ever take into account where you are falling in terms of the beat (ahead, behind, dead on), because Im hearing you slightly behind the beat, and the band is definitely not behind the beat and its giving it a weighed down sound to my ear. Also, make sure if youre gonna roll doubles on the hats theyre cccclllleeeeaaaaannnn, theres nothing thats gonna point out a failed double stroke roll like youre hats. Youre very solid man and I can hear improvement ever time you post, keep at it.
Thanks for checking it out, I appreciate the feedback. I know I can always count on you for the details, which always helps.

As far as pocket, it definitely "breathes"...maybe that's going too easy on myself. ;) It's something I work on everyday. What I'm learning is though; it really depends on *who* you're playing with too. I'm having some trouble getting along with this particular bassist both in terms of "locking-in" and in personality. He's always pushing the beat and when I play with this guy, I feel like I need to hang back a little or everyone's going to push too much. I'm not trying to blame the guy for my fluctuations, which are definitely there as well...but it does cause some tension.

The double strokes on the hats are something I don't pull out often enough, so they're rough too. I'm trying to experiment more w/ hi-hat patterns, so hopefully that'll progress as well.

Thanks for the compliments! It's encouraging to hear from someone who plays as well as you do.

BattleArmor

Silver Member
I can give you an exercise for doubles, if you so desire...I have gotten way up in speed recently from it...

Anyway I like what I am hearing. You are getting better and better every time you post something. I agree with brittc89. If you are uncomfortable with the bass man it makes the whole groove of the song sound uncomfortable....darn bassists.

Drums "sound" is good as always... How long have you had the Pearls now?

aydee

Platinum Member
Yet to hear the wank, but I love the groove, Vin. Agree with everyone about you sounding better everytime you post.

zambizzi

Platinum Member
Thanks guys, appreciate it. I'm always on the lookout for new exercises, so let 'er rip! When I practice doubles it's usually on the snare. I haven't put a lot of thought into hi-hat patterns using doubles so if I do it, I just go with what (little) I know. My doubles are pretty smooth otherwise and I work on a lot of snare solos which incorporate them frequently. Any patterns involving the hats would be great!

I've had the Ref kit for a couple of weeks now. They're pretty great all-around. The kick is a monster and can be tuned pretty high while retaining a very low pitch. I've never heard toms that sing like these...they resonate longer than anything I've heard.

Anyhow, thanks again!

BattleArmor

Silver Member
Thanks guys, appreciate it. I'm always on the lookout for new exercises, so let 'er rip! When I practice doubles it's usually on the snare. I haven't put a lot of thought into hi-hat patterns using doubles so if I do it, I just go with what (little) I know. My doubles are pretty smooth otherwise and I work on a lot of snare solos which incorporate them frequently. Any patterns involving the hats would be great!

I've had the Ref kit for a couple of weeks now. They're pretty great all-around. The kick is a monster and can be tuned pretty high while retaining a very low pitch. I've never heard toms that sing like these...they resonate longer than anything I've heard.

Anyhow, thanks again!
I'd be lieing if I said I came up with the exercise....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uziHKA3ejPE

He's a pretty awesome teacher.

zambizzi

Platinum Member
I gotta say, i was REALLY afraid to click that "wankin" one. lol !!

good stuff though.
I was almost afraid to post it! Heh. What the hell...we all do that kind of noodling around on our drums...mine as well show the warts and all.

Thanks!