Some grooves!

50 Ways to leave to leave your lover is very close to being correct - but you're missing the coolest part which is the hats being a linear hat note with the foot / then hat hand / then hand on snare rather than two hits on the hats with your right hand (Gadd's left).

Normally I'd just it fly - but that's pretty iconic for the part and one of the earlist and best examples of a linear groove.

Attachments

• 50Ways.png
    50Ways.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 10
50 Ways to leave to leave your lover is very close to being correct - but you're missing the coolest part which is the hats being a linear hat note with the foot / then hat hand / then hand on snare rather than two hits on the hats with your right hand (Gadd's left).

Normally I'd just it fly - but that's pretty iconic for the part and one of the earlist and best examples of a linear groove.
Dang it! I can't tell you how many times I've heard this complaint in the 40 years I've been asked to play this song.

I'm kidding. Nobody has ever asked to hear this song ;)

Dang it! I can't tell you how many times I've heard this complaint in the 40 years I've been asked to play this song.

It works just fine without playing the foot hihat version. Also leaves your left foot (right in your case!) free to do the off-beat tambourine part with a pedal tambourine...

I'm kidding. Nobody has ever asked to hear this song ;)

Yeah same here, but we once imposed it on the audience and it was well received.

Last edited:
Bo, your R hand looks so easy going on "Fool" any tips? A rudiment that fits or mentality for it. I know you have been doing this for a long time and that's a big part of it, but i thought i'd ask.

Bo, your R hand looks so easy going on "Fool" any tips? A rudiment that fits or mentality for it. I know you have been doing this for a long time and that's a big part of it, but i thought i'd ask.
Hmm. It probably isn’t any specific rudiment, just drilling snare drum technique for years. I marched drum corps in my teens and we would just drill exercises for hours as a group. When I left that activity (I taught HS drumline too) I adopted
The same routine. You just have to play and drill the muscle memory and eventually everything looks relaxed because you’re no longer thinking about what your hands should be doing. Some guys it doesn’t take that long. I’ve been at this for decades now.

Your toms sound better than the zepp recordings lol.

Back