Some cool Modern Drummers...

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
Re: Some Modern Drummers from the good old days!!!!

An image of Bonzo that I've never seen. :)

Thanks.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I have a handful of issues, this one definitely the coolest:

Scott K Fish

Silver Member
I remember that photo of John Bonham when it arrived at Modern Drummer. The original, I believe, was a black & white, taken during Led Zeppelin's first U.S. tour. Maybe the thread starter here will be kind enough to tell us the photographer's name.

Best,
Scott K Fish

spelman

I remember that photo of John Bonham when it arrived at Modern Drummer. The original, I believe, was a black & white, taken during Led Zeppelin's first U.S. tour. Maybe the thread starter here will be kind enough to tell us the photographer's name.

Best,
Scott K Fish
From page 1 in that issue:

Photo by Charles Stewart

Hand coloring by Carmen De Jesus

Scott K Fish

Silver Member
Canyonero -

Thank you. Chuck Stewart! I should have known. What a great photographer. I remember looking at this photo of Bonham with MD founder Ron Spagnardi and Features Editor Rick Mattingly. It's possible the art director was there too.

The dilemma was: it was a unique photo of John Bonham, perfect as a cover photo - but MD didn't do black-and-white covers. Answer: hire someone to hand color the photo. Remember - this was decades before Photoshop.

Best,
Scott K Fish

Drumbum77

Very nice Bermuda! I've got that issue, but I wish mine was as cool as yours. Did you meet Ringo? If so, what year and where?

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Very nice Bermuda! I've got that issue, but I wish mine was as cool as yours. Did you meet Ringo? If so, what year and where?
I didn't, but that came from Todd Trent, who handled the drums used at the photo shoot. I've also got a pic of Todd with Ringo at the shoot as proof, although it's really Todd's provenance, not mine.

I believe the pics were shot exclusively for MD, so that probably would have been early 1997.

Bermuda