Some Bo news

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I usually post things here that I can’t on FB or IG because everyone involved are on those platforms so I don’t want to talk about them behind their backs where they’d see it 😉

But with the current situation of the Devo band getting some traction and doing more big shows (we’re doing some concert once a month for now - as opposed to bar gigs as a cover band) has led to another opportunity: I’ve been asked to be involved in a Talking Heads tribute band - complete with a blond female playing bass!

I didn’t even know how much Talking Heads stuff I knew until we did a show together and I knew their whole show. After working with them on a cover band gig and having some discussions, they’ve asked me to be involved. But not just as a drummer - I’ll also be doing the MIDI programming for the backing tracks of half the show and controlling those during the show (much like how Ashley Simpsons’ drummer was controlling the tracks on her ill-fated SNL debut).

So I’m excited to be part of it, but now I’m faced with the added stress of creating tracks and controlling them (not unlike how our synth guy in the Devo band does). I have a month to finish this programming work and then maybe have two rehearsals to get this new trio up to speed for a show. We debut July 14 - opening for my Devo band the same evening.

I’m wondering if I’ve bitten off more than I can chew? But having studied Chris Frantz’ drumming these last couple of days totally cements how solid his timekeeping was for the real Talking Heads.

Maybe if this is good, a Cure tribute band will ask if I’m available next 😂😂😂

I’m even gonna pull out the Rogers kit for this since that’s what Chris Frantz played in the Talking Heads movie “Stop Making Sense”

2C495722-F218-47FF-86F0-AB01FA8BF012.jpeg

You go Bo

Good for you. Sounds like a plan.

I did a couple of gigs with a Stones tribute band in February, and never heard from the leader again, until last week, when he gave me an August date with a promise of more to come. I have an audition with a female-fronted band next week, and an audition with another band on June 17. We'll see how it goes. One of the tunes for next week is "Middle Of The Road" by The Pretenders, which I love playing.

Good for you. Sounds like a plan.

I did a couple of gigs with a Stones tribute band in February, and never heard from the leader again, until last week, when he gave me an August date with a promise of more to come. I have an audition with a female-fronted band next week, and an audition with another band on June 17. We'll see how it goes. One of the tunes for next week is "Middle Of The Road" by The Pretenders, which I love playing.
Female-fronted bands always get bigger crowds I’ve noticed. It’s like YouTube 😉

Yes - this was the orphan kit and I installed Yamaha mounts and DW spurs and Pearl floor tom brackets. So it’s the best of both worlds - nice light maple shells and modern hardware. I hate dealing with “quirky”.

I’m always hoping you’ll gig a 28 regularly. *shrug*

Female-fronted bands always get bigger crowds I’ve noticed. It’s like YouTube 😉
Of course they do. It seems wise to joining a female-fronted band. I hope she's not an ego diva.

Of course they do. It seems wise to joining a female-fronted band. I hope she's not an ego diva.
That’s always the curse. Where I work in the Magic Kingdom we never seem to have that problem since there are so many they can get - everybody is well-behaved because you never know who your next boss might be 😉

I usually post things here that I can’t on FB or IG because everyone involved are on those platforms so I don’t want to talk about them behind their backs where they’d see it 😉

But with the current situation of the Devo band getting some traction and doing more big shows (we’re doing some concert once a month for now - as opposed to bar gigs as a cover band) has led to another opportunity: I’ve been asked to be involved in a Talking Heads tribute band - complete with a blond female playing bass!

I didn’t even know how much Talking Heads stuff I knew until we did a show together and I knew their whole show. After working with them on a cover band gig and having some discussions, they’ve asked me to be involved. But not just as a drummer - I’ll also be doing the MIDI programming for the backing tracks of half the show and controlling those during the show (much like how Ashley Simpsons’ drummer was controlling the tracks on her ill-fated SNL debut).

So I’m excited to be part of it, but now I’m faced with the added stress of creating tracks and controlling them (not unlike how our synth guy in the Devo band does). I have a month to finish this programming work and then maybe have two rehearsals to get this new trio up to speed for a show. We debut July 14 - opening for my Devo band the same evening.

I’m wondering if I’ve bitten off more than I can chew? But having studied Chris Frantz’ drumming these last couple of days totally cements how solid his timekeeping was for the real Talking Heads.

Maybe if this is good, a Cure tribute band will ask if I’m available next 😂😂😂

I’m even gonna pull out the Rogers kit for this since that’s what Chris Frantz played in the Talking Heads movie “Stop Making Sense”

View attachment 134527
The drums aren’t brain surgery, so you have that going for you. And now you can double dip on package shows! Way to go!

Thanks! I just feel pressure because now I have to program tracks from scratch like I used to in the 80s (when I was a better keyboard player). And I had the time then!

Maybe some of it is already done and you could download it from somewhere. If not, have AI do it. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, it sounds like a lot of stress. :eek:

Many congratulations! it is terrific to see your growth and success, Bo!

Coincidentally, I saw "Start Making Sense" here in Colorado a few weeks ago. They're a Bethlehem, PA-based Talking Heads tribute and, I felt, extremely strong. (No affiliation, I bought my ticket.)

Drum wise, I was surprised by how simple the drum parts were to many songs - a lot of it is pretty much four on the floor. It was also a great illustration in the level of musicality possible with 'simple' music!

Bo, I think you'll do great and hope you tour in Colorado (with any band).

PXL_20230514_044627245-SMSenset.jpeg
A surprisingly simple drum kit.

PXL_20230514_052726455.MP-SMSenset.jpeg
They have a blonde female bass player, too! (And she's dating the drummer, just like Tina and Chris.)

PXL_20230514_053700430.MP-SMSenset.jpeg
The lead singer really channeled David Byrne, and the lead guitar player was excellent.

Many congratulations! it is terrific to see your growth and success, Bo!

Coincidentally, I saw "Start Making Sense" here in Colorado a few weeks ago. They're a Bethlehem, PA-based Talking Heads tribute and, I felt, extremely strong. (No affiliation, I bought my ticket.)

Drum wise, I was surprised by how simple the drum parts were to many songs - a lot of it is pretty much four on the floor. It was also a great illustration in the level of musicality possible with 'simple' music!

Bo, I think you'll do great and hope you tour in Colorado (with any band).

View attachment 134536
A surprisingly simple drum kit.

View attachment 134537
They have a blonde female bass player, too! (And she's dating the drummer, just like Tina and Chris.)

View attachment 134538
The lead singer really channeled David Byrne, and the lead guitar player was excellent.
Thanks for the kind words! Yeah - that band looks like it’s channeling the whole package! We’ll see where this one ends up - they were already doing shows with other musicians and now the leader wants to re-structure as a trio with tracks to make it an easier thing to sell (I suppose). I really think he doesn’t have the time or commitment to make it like the real thing- so if nobody else is doing it out here, that’s the niche. Just like there are no other Devo bands in our area too. It’ll be interesting to see where this goes so I’m gonna give it a shot. Should be fun after the stress of creating tracks 😉

Maybe some of it is already done and you could download it from somewhere. If not, have AI do it. :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, it sounds like a lot of stress. :eek:
I’ll find out how much stress. My work is cut out - I have a month to create seven tracks. I’ll just pretend it’s 1989 and have no internet access and all I do is make MIDI files 😉😎

Back