Some Acid Jazz/Funk

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
Found this Acid Jazz Funk drumless track to play along to. No I'm not on acid-not sure the song is either really. But it is drumless so I have to lead the drum part so I I've been playing along to it and thought I'd share this take on it (it's like third or fourth-I'm still working on eliminating the crap from previous versions-like this one.) It "ain't no cover" so that's a plus LOL. It is trippy/floaty/blurry in parts.

This song came on up on the laptop and I started winging this. It gets funky.

Wait while I"m at it-my Lone Ranger Kick practice exercise.

Last edited:
As always, good stuff, Art!

An energizing beat! Great sounds from your kit!

What size hats are you playing?

Thanks Stroker-those are 14 in Zidjian K Mastersound hats-I love em. Since you encouraged me to play my SONOR snare I can't quit-it's been locked up for a year so nice to play it again. Thanks for the encouragement man.

Last edited:
Thanks Stroker-those are 14 in Zidjian K Mastersound hats-I love em. Since you encouraged me to play my SONOR snare I can't quit-it's been locked up for a year so nice to play it again. Thanks for the encouragement man.
Indeed, those hats are smooth sounding.

Glad to know you've been enjoying that masterpiece by Sonor. It sounds crazy good!

I'm never going to not watch your stuff, but I will keep hounding on you until you get that stick in control. Choke up! I command it on doctors orders.

That said, it was fun stuff. Heard a few interesting ideas in the first one alone.

Gosh Stroker and Doc I love you guys-always supportive-despite the obvious. Yeah I've been looking for a drum teacher locally doing on-line searches so far. I had to post the Daryl's house just because those are always so good-yeah I stomped all over some pauses and what not but it was fun playing to a song I haven't listened to in forever. Man I remember singing Hall and Oates to a date years ago-we didn't go out long LOL. My Zoom is doing funky things lately so I'm thinking it's on it's last leg. I may upgrade to something better. Thanks for the time guys.

I enjoy watching your videos, too, but I have one gripe: like a lot of video posters, you keep cutting off your head!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stop it. We drummers are already accused of having no brains - let's not do away with our heads, too. ;)

GeeDeeEmm

Gosh Stroker and Doc I love you guys-always supportive-despite the obvious. Yeah I've been looking for a drum teacher locally doing on-line searches so far. I had to post the Daryl's house just because those are always so good-yeah I stomped all over some pauses and what not but it was fun playing to a song I haven't listened to in forever. Man I remember singing Hall and Oates to a date years ago-we didn't go out long LOL. My Zoom is doing funky things lately so I'm thinking it's on it's last leg. I may upgrade to something better. Thanks for the time guys.
Nah, no obvious about it. Your videos never fail to please, and you're good people! (y)

You'll always garner my time, Art!

Many thanks for putting these videos together and sharing them with us!

I enjoy watching your videos, too, but I have one gripe: like a lot of video posters, you keep cutting off your head!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stop it. We drummers are already accused of having no brains - let's not do away with our heads, too. ;)

GeeDeeEmm
ROFL. Thanks gdmoore. Yeah but if I my head is shown then I have to be conscious if my mouth is open and I'm drooling, or I got my cringe drum face. But people may comment on my face more than my poor technique so maybe I should?? I'll make a torso of the beautiful woman Bo has on his moniker so I can wear that and I'll look like an attractive female drummer. I bet I'll get way more compliments ROFL. I'm trying to encourage regular posters to post videos. Mine are poor quality so that should open people it doesn't have to be some fancy production. Some do-I'm waiting for Tony's next Elvin installment-super excellent!! I am starting to see improvement in the jazz realm-which is always been a challenge. Thanks again for the comment. If I could translate my love with talent-I'd be a rock star.

That's awesome, Art. I really enjoyed it, especially some of the ideas you were throwing out on the first track.

Keep on posting!

That's awesome, Art. I really enjoyed it, especially some of the ideas you were throwing out on the first track.

Keep on posting!
Wow thanks Strohman-I've been enjoying your videos to. I'm taken back by so many comments-I usually don't get many nor expect any. But I love the encouragement. Thank you all.

I also always enjoy those videos, but i disagree with the opinion that drummers should always show their head too..

Unless you make a video in which you actually are on acid..

Looking forward to that one..!?

1st video shirt approval :)

I love the joy & free spirit in your playing Art. Take away the hi hats, & you'd be the forum lounge version of Moonie, but your bass drum auto 8th note default setting needs a reboot. All your lovely flirty top end of the kit stuff would deliver so much better with some space & drive in the bass drum parts :)

Thanks Andy I love my t shirt ;) I haven’t even noticed the bass part by this time I was annoyed by my using too many buzz rolls and boring fills . My tempo wavers to.Whenever I tackle a new song I’m hopped up and this drumless track was pretty empty and redundant so I filled it up. A bit to much. Next step is cutting out stuff that doesn’t sound good.which I’ve been working on changing fills and doing hats straight rather a pattern. I always thought I am pretty laid back but I love a comparison to Moon. He had that energy I love. We both share being hopelessly crazy. When i get to a final form I’ll repost it working on kick part to. But my kick leg has a mind of it’s on and goes on autopilot-my hat leg seems more responsive oddly. Thanks for responses and critiques all. You to Oldskool! On a positive note I’m ready to try out for the Wyld Stallyns LOL

Last edited:
"All your lovely flirty top end of the kit stuff would deliver so much better with some space & drive in the bass drum parts ". I've been pondering this-is it because my leg is always consistently hopping? Or just too busy parts?? Here's another angle that I added some cross sticking, less frills. but even though my leg shakes like crazy-I'm burying the beater till I play my parts.
Here's another been working on-some Spyro Gyra.

There is oft some criticism on your technique or grip (also a lot by yourself) and yes, maybe there can be some improvement with certain things..

But i was listening to your playing in that Spyro Gyra track, without looking the video or your technique, but only listening..

And there is really not much wrong with that..

Nice laid back groove throughout the song, no speeding up, no slowing down, nice feel and i like the 'free mind' vibe..

That RLRRLRRL pattern fits you just fine..:)

Really, who the hell cares about grip..lol..

Thanks OldSkool for the positive comments. I need to work on my fills and variety to. Yes that thumb sticks out like a sore thumb. That's cause it is-stiff as a board-I can at least play French grip now with my thumb on top for the ride but for some reason on hats it kills me so my thumb shifts over and sticks out. The leg shake is annoying as hell but I can't "shake" it-no seriously if I concentrate I can suppress it but my nature is it just goes-it isn't in tempo since I do it on slow songs to. If I don't bury the beater it will produce unwanted notes though-so I note I do that more as get older. It's always something and I count my blessing my issues are minor to many. It'll probably get worse but I'm going to keep on drummin' to drum my blues away LOL.
I'll just use this thread for other stuff I'm working on. Yeah been gravitating to funky lately but just started digging on Tedeschi-Trucks. So less crazy. I changed my angle so now you can see my head in newer ones LOL. Though the back of my head. That Snarky Puppy stuff is just sick so pardon me stomping all over it.
Some Tedeschi Trucks Band
Some Vulpeck-
Some Snarky Puppy-
I at least I get points for "enthusiasm" LOL. I love all my DW friends. Thanks again OldSkool for the support. TBH of these the only I like is the Tedeschi-Trucks one-nice, smooth relaxing I don't know what the hell came over me LOL.

Last edited:
Well going to switch genre for awhile and try some rock, metal type stuff. Never done any metal. I was listening to Tool and Perfect Circle came up on my laptop and they sound awesome. So I gave some of the songs a shot-I don't know them yet as I get lost but trying to get the feel first.

I'm glad you shared these Art, I subscribed to your channel a while back and always try and keep up with you. I was super impressed with the last few vids and especially the one from just a day or so ago.

Back