Solution for multiple bands, with a band logo'd kick head?

dannygetsmoney

These are all really really good ideas...

But really, it doesn't take that long to change a reso head.
I know you said you don't want to do that, but...

Don't be lazy? Change the dang head.

BruceW

It's not an issue of being lazy. As I noted originally, there will be many times where the stage will be set up for a weekend gig, band 1 on the first night and band 2 on the second. I don't think its a function of being lazy to not want to disassemble the kit to change the head. After all, part of the joy of this arrangement is not having to set up the second night...

No, it's not terribly difficult to switch them out between gigs, I was looking for a way to make it easier.

BruceW

Playing in two bands, I had this problem too. I tried Bermuda's trick but I play an open, undampened bass drum (except for felt rings that come on the Aquarian Super Kick II). Visually this worked perfect. But the velcro'd logo picture just killed the resonance and sound. So alas, I just use my practice kit with separate logo head for the second band.
I'm thinking of trying to get something made out of fabric, and velcroing that over the logo's head. Hopefully that won't muffle it noticeably.

***edit*** thinking about that, i'd have to use way more velcro to keep it in place than I'd like to... hmmm. Guess I'll try another head cut down and see if it muffles too much. Still the best idea so far!

Last edited:

tcspears

Gold Member

It's not really being lazy... I'm not the OP but I have a similar problem.

I'm mostly freelance, but there are a few bands that have me as their main drummer, and they'll bring up the logo question.

On a Saturday and Sunday it's not unusual for me to have 2-3 gigs, with very little time in between them. I'm not going to replace my bass drum head 2-3 times each Saturday and Sunday, and then again each night for the weeknight gigs.

I have my initials on my head, but it would be nice if there was a way to have a band's logo as well.

It's not laziness though, it's a hassle to have to change heads that often.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
I'm thinking of trying to get something made out of fabric, and velcroing that over the logo's head. Hopefully that won't muffle it noticeably.

***edit*** thinking about that, i'd have to use way more velcro to keep it in place than I'd like to... hmmm. Guess I'll try another head cut down and see if it muffles too much. Still the best idea so far!
Perhaps a thin cloth stretched across the top of the hoop - an inch in front of the reso head. Wouldn't have to cover the entire head - just a rectangular sign across the middle.
Or try my 'Cool Rockin Daddy' idea of a reversed drumhead, but use a mesh drumhead like the Evans, to have minimal effect on the sound. I use a drum head because its exactly the right size to sit on a hoop, and the rim keeps it in shape.

BruceW

Perhaps a thin cloth stretched across the top of the hoop - an inch in front of the reso head. Wouldn't have to cover the entire head - just a rectangular sign across the middle.
Or try my 'Cool Rockin Daddy' idea of a reversed drumhead, but use a mesh drumhead like the Evans, to have minimal effect on the sound. I use a drum head because its exactly the right size to sit on a hoop, and the rim keeps it in shape.
I do like your idea about the reversed head. My old kick drum still has the old school lugs with the T on the ends, so I could just twist a couple of those enough to hold the extra head in place. I am curious exactly how much muffling I will get out of doing this... I'm not opposed to putting a mic inside the kick, but my band leader is rather attached to using his SM52 in front of the drum too, so we shall see about that possibility.

PlayTheSong

Fabric (or mylar or cardboard) with the second logo on it, attached by small rubber bands to the top four lugs of the bass drum. It will be at the front of your hoop instead of the back, but does anyone care? 10 seconds to install or remove.

BruceW

This has been great, getting suggestions and ideas rattling around. I'm thinking that I'm gonna hit up my friend that runs a music store and get an old broken drum head, and trim off most all the head and use the ring as a frame of sorts, and attach fabric over that. That might work and not muffle....fun stuff, brainstorming.

Thanks everyone

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I got one of these:

I'd bet that if you got one of these on a cordless drill, you could change out the front head faster than messing with velcro lettering or something you had to get straight every time.

That is, if you don't have wingnuts for your kick drum. Still, you could change them out if needed.

BruceW

I got one of these:

I'd bet that if you got one of these on a cordless drill, you could change out the front head faster than messing with velcro lettering or something you had to get straight every time.

That is, if you don't have wingnuts for your kick drum. Still, you could change them out if needed.
I did think about changing out the lugs on my kick and doing something like this. It will be an option, if the other ideas don't pan out. (Still have the old school lugs with the wing-nut T on them, lol.)

Frank

Gold Member
How about:

- A thin magnetic sheet with adhesive on the inside of the head

- Magnetic logos on the outside of the head

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Sheets-Adhesive-mil-Magnet/dp/B008KMLGDK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1478049083&sr=8-4&keywords=magnetic+adhesive+sheet
I'm a little surprised, and deeply disappointed - boo hoo - that this did not generate some positive buzz. Cuz - this is the winning answer, folks. Thank you for playing. Try the veal. I'll be here till Tuesday.

BruceW

I saw this in the most recent Modern Drummer.
http://www.drumheadgraphics.com
Anyone tried it?
I will check them out, for sure...this is pretty much what I was looking for.

Probly gonna try the cheap fix initially, black fabric over an old head rim with the broken head cut out. We don't have a definitive logo for the new band just yet anyway, but when we get there, this will be great. Plus, if the cheapy fix works, that will serve for any fill in gigs I'm doing.

Very cool. Thanks

Tamaefx

Silver Member
Morrisman trick is indeed excellent,
Practical and cheap.
I put it aside for my own use !
I remember a pic of Ringo Starr, who instead of having a star painted or glued on his front BD skin, had a star in rigid material kept in place with nylon strings through the screws.
Edit : the pic is in the new Ludwig site (awful by the way).