Soloing; are you into it?

Spreggy

Silver Member
Soloing is what I'm working on the most, an hour a day until I get this on point. But the idea of a long, classic rock solo doesn't appeal to me at all. I think w/ jazz it's one philosophy of interplay and carrying your weight, but in rock I feel the acid test should be "did the crowd, or did they not, continue to shake their booty while you soloed."

Johnny2u2

It’s a Jazz thing where a melodic instrument solos for 4 bars, then the drummer solos for 4 bars, and they go through the changes trading 4 bar phrases for a time or two. It’s a blast. You can do it with any instruments and not just drums, but drums do get called to do it a lot.
Thankyou (note to self)

moodman

People do some drum soloing at jams. I have when asked to, but sometimes also declined. I didn't know the rule. It's a skill like many that I'd like/need to improve.

One Way Out is where I solo. The previous drummer did an extended one and they expect the same. It's been pretty terrible so far, honestly. People have mentined seeing videos of me soloing and I just go ahead and say that in 6-7 more tries it'll get worked out. Only now am I getting an ability of forming one inside the groove, but I haven't properly arranged the vocabulary with what gets a response yet. It also needs to pare down a fair amount. The truncated one I did at the Mayor's deal was short and fit better with the mood. Seeing some good local guys do them is helpful. They do them regularly.

If you watch the people who are dancing or chair dancing when the solo takes off in the song pretty well tells you if you're flailing or landing hits with them.
I've started throwing the snares off while doing one.
Since that is a 2 drummer solo, I've always had trouble doing that solo to my satisfaction. A little rhythm help from your band would help.
This live performance is really interesting, after 2:50 the drum breakdown starts ( notice that all through the song so far, besides the backbeats, snare hits happen on 1's and 3's randomly as these 2 drummers play ) The guitars are playing the right time but, when the bass comes back in around 3:18, he was hearing the the back beat wrong and he is one beat off of the right time. The drummers fix this immediately, most people don't notice it.

1 hit wonder

Cool. There was always something unresolved in that recording but I never broke down what was going on. It's too far into my childhood to recall my first impression there.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Diamond Member
I would imagine with your marching/teaching background you could create some fantastic solos.

the marching thing helps the most....I can create things that sound way more complicated than they are to paly b/c of my rudimental usage

and actually being a composer/arranger helps a lot too b/c I try to create solos that have some touch to musicality

JoeVermont

Does playing Wipeout during your setlist count?
Absolutely, Wipeout counts. I play with an oldies band and folks ask for Wipeout quite often. I'm not particularly fond of it... our lead guitar player LOVES that song and it packs the dance floor so... there ya go! ;) I do not go wild on it (like the Ventures' Mel Taylor), mostly play the straight up original Safari's version. Wipeout is pretty easy to play and also very easy to rush the tempo (for all band members). Keeping it locked can be a fun challenge! BTW, somewhere I saw that Wipeout was supposed to be the "B" side of the 45 RPM record. The song Surfer Joe was the "A" side and they needed another song for the "B" side... Wipeout was invented on the fly in the studio.

Rock Salad

I'm working on it too. We have two songs that have drum features, not actually solo, but drums take lead. One is 16 bars and the other 32.