Soliloquy-esq Pop Songs

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
I like to follow the pop trends. I'm totally disappointed these days that fewer and fewer danceable songs are in the top of the charts. I've noticed this trend it seems to be for want of a better word Soliloquy, like extended monologues that are mostly sedentary. Interestingly enough I must not be the only one as Actors performing pop songs as soliloquy is a thing:

Do people really like to listen to that stuff? Or is it a manifestation of some other problem? Personally, I find these things real channel changers, like my attention span is too short, and I'm not going to listen to a pop stars manifesto. Play something that is fun already.

Anyone else feel this way about "pop music" these days.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
Opportunities come to us disguised as problems.

Invent something new and interesting.

I was watching a Neil Sedaka interview yesterday. He said that he had a terrific songwriting career until the Beatles appeared. Then he was having trouble finding a gig. The music scene can change quickly.

Last edited:

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Nothing new... it used to fall under the novelty category. Maybe the earliest in my lifetime was Peter Sellers doing a spoken version of the Beatles' "Hard Day's Night" and later, William Shatner's faux-dramatic spoken covers of pop & rock songs. All in good fun of course.

Macarina

Silver Member
I like to follow the pop trends. I'm totally disappointed these days that fewer and fewer danceable songs are in the top of the charts. I've noticed this trend it seems to be for want of a better word Soliloquy, like extended monologues that are mostly sedentary. Interestingly enough I must not be the only one as Actors performing pop songs as soliloquy is a thing:

Do people really like to listen to that stuff? Or is it a manifestation of some other problem? Personally, I find these things real channel changers, like my attention span is too short, and I'm not going to listen to a pop stars manifesto. Play something that is fun already.

People just get bored very easily. Short attention span and make just about anything a fad. 🤡

Stroman

Platinum Member

I feel that way about 99.99% of pop music, not just the soliloquy stuff. That's why I tend to find myself listening to other genres, generally. But it does seem the soliloquy trend is a novelty or something.