Socially distanced jams

I was able to jam for the first time since the shelter in place order. We played jazz standards in a backyard with everyone at least six feet apart. It was just drums, bass, piano and guitar, no horns. Playing outdoors seems pretty safe to me. I'm thinking of hosting a jam in my driveway. The volume will be low and I have tolerant neighbors. We have a sax in our group, but I think it would be safe if he played out front, not facing us.
Have you tried this? What has your experience been like?

I haven't tried it and personally wouldn't. Anything that influences people to gather right now is a potential risk. They may start off at a distance, but carelessness can set in quickly, and it takes only one careless person to affect many, many others. For me, the stakes are too high to justify the marginal reward.

I'm practicing alone for now, with no intention of joining other musicians in the near future. Sure, I want to collaborate and get back to playing live again but not under current conditions. If we rush our recovery, we might not recover at all.

I haven't tried it and personally wouldn't. Anything that influences people to gather right now is a potential risk. They may start off at a distance, but carelessness can set in quickly, and it takes only one careless person to affect many, many others. For me, the stakes are too high to justify the marginal reward.

I'm practicing alone for now, with no intention of joining other musicians in the near future. Sure, I want to collaborate and get back to playing live again but not under current conditions. If we rush our recovery, we might not recover at all.
That’s a good point. I would not want to contribute to a backslide.

We tried one on Saturday in a friends backyard. It was an acoustic jam and with everyone spaced about 8 feet apart in a big circle, I couldn't hear anyone play except for the guy on my left. It made it hard for me to follow along and hear for changes and stuff.

Next time they plug in or I'm bringing my banjolele.

Jam.jpg

Back