So who here thinks they are a good drummer?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I made this thread because I kept reading here about people downing themselves. It was way out of balance. I get it, you want to be humble, guilty of it too, but taken too far is not a good thing anymore, it's bad. It's possible to be humble without downing yourself. So I think it's important to spotlight the good stuff now and then. It is uncomfortable to talk about....our good, heck, our great points..all the more reason it need to be talked about.

I would just like to impart to everyone that it is better to say nothing than put yourself down. Putting yourself down does more damage to the psyche than you think. The damage shows up in the drum part you just flubbed. Substitute, "I suck" with "I want to improve". Attitude adjustments go a long way.

A

Anthony Amodeo

yeps. Just cant see a really soild benifit from it. I mean, the way I see it is its about what you play thats gonna get you the gigs. I can see MI as being a great platform, but if I dont get a soil carrear....well, then Im out like 40k. lol

Id love to be a touring/studio musician...Im just scared to attempt to go that way, cause its so competitive.
no school is going to give you a career, it gives you an education

establishing a career is up to you and how much you are willing to sacrifice

A

Anthony Amodeo

When you there?

I went 91-92.

I was there 98 - 00

loved it

got to study with so many amazing drummers and pick their brains on a daily basis

Im pumped to go study with Carlock, Smith, Erskine, and Weckl come August.....Ill be studying harder than I have in years until then to be as prepared for the situation as I can possibly be

resohead

Silver Member
So I'll say this, my drumming was pretty good on what I posted. Having that bass player made things easy. Never played with anyone as good as he was. We never told each other what may be a better way to play a part, how fast to play, how things should feel..whatever.
The first time we played together to the last was totally my pleasure. (there, how's that?)

cowgard

I often compare it to weight lifting. If I see a guy at the gym (when I use to go to the gym) bench pressing over 300 pounds I would think that's a really strong guy but there are guys in the world that bench twice that.
So I'll just say I'm happy being 300 pound bench presser working to hopefully get to 350 in the world of drumming. I bet most of the drummers on this forum are at least that good or will be in time. I think that puts us comfortably in the "good" category. Does that make any sense at all?
By the way that's a hundred pounds more than I actually bench press in the gym and I'm not working on that anymore. Ha. David

Fur drummer

Pioneer Member
I do. I have a sense of rhythm and can keep steady time. I can play well, improvised, musical solos. Man, I feel like I'm answering a question in a job interview. So do I get the gig? LOL

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
So I'll say this, my drumming was pretty good on what I posted. Having that bass player made things easy. Never played with anyone as good as he was. We never told each other what may be a better way to play a part, how fast to play, how things should feel..whatever.
The first time we played together to the last was totally my pleasure. (there, how's that?)
That's more like it my friend, it will make you play better the next time you sit behind that kit :))

Now, have you choosen which pictures of you you gonna send to Polly to have your portrait displayed in the "House of Mirrors" ?

New Tricks

Platinum Member
I would just like to impart to everyone that it is better to say nothing than put yourself down. . .

Hey, you asked. :)

I just think that many of us simply have a good grasp on reality.

And...my psyche isn't influenced by my (lack of) drumming skills. It thinks I'm a God!

resohead

Silver Member
Now, have you choosen which pictures of you you gonna send to Polly to have your portrait displayed in the "House of Mirrors" ?
Thanks Henri. Haven't even asked Polly. I just have one or two pics I guess but yeah, I'll do that.

So sad to see this thread die!

I would say I'm a good drummer - good enough to get paying work!

But I also TOTALLY agree with the sentiments here, including

• I will never be happy with my playing
  • I can always improve
  • I suck
  • That 18 year old kid on youtube makes me feel like a beginner

It's really important for us to balance our weaknesses with our strengths; we can't progress unless we have more than just an ounce of realism about our abilities as musicians.

F

Fishgopop007

I'm alright.

I'm not bad, but I still have much to learn and master! I'd consider myself good, but not outstanding or masterful etc.

I've still got a lot ahead of me, so I figure if I look down on myself now then that will just continue! Better to be positive and keeping your head on the ground :)

George.

groove1

Silver Member
I'm good enough to still get hired by excellent jazz artists, but having said that I'm very
glad that I had a full time job all my life otherwise (in my mid 60's) life might be a bit ugly
now......

Thecowslayer

I'm not anywhere near where I want to be as a drummer, I think that my fills need work, and my technique and timing also need some major work. As for what I enjoy about my playing, I think I'm decent at figuring out what sort of beat would compliment the music.