So who here thinks they are a good drummer?

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Does that question make you squirm a little? Is it hard to talk about your good points and how well you drum? Isn't is safer and more comfortable downing yourself?
Of course we all know that you don't want to be one of those types that go around gloating about how great they are. But if you were on trial, without boasting or anything, and you had to state the facts, do you think you are a good drummer? If so, what makes you good?

I'll start.

I suck

See ya!

topgun2021

Gold Member
I'm regarded as the "drum set" percussionist by my peers at school.

One of my friends and band mates is on the Santa Clara Vanguard Snare Line, so he kind of out shadows me everywhere else.

MikeM

Platinum Member
I don't know who I heard say this first, but it rings true for me: I'm somewhere in between either a good crappy drummer, or a lame good drummer.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I don't know who I heard say this first, but it rings true for me: I'm somewhere in between either a good crappy drummer, or a lame good drummer.
lol.

It reminds me of many years ago when an Australian footballer was referred to by one of the commentators as "a good ordinary player". I guess I can live with that too.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Seems to me that "somewhere in between either a good crappy drummer, or a lame good drummer" resonates most with people so far.

I'm definitely more good crappy than crappy good. In a demo where I sped up at the climax Brent told me it was such a noobie error and I said I'd been a noobie for 30 years.

I feel completely comfortable with that self assessment.

One time Matt talked about people who'd played for 20 years who basically did Year One drumming 20 times over. I relate to that ... though, over time you do become more canny and improve your feel, dynamics, musicality and flow, even if everything is dead basic with occasional clumsy mistakes.

Larry you are definitely good these days. Don't see any suckiness whatsoever.

Last edited:

MaryO

Platinum Member
Well, I'm definitely too new to even begin to think of myself as good, but I do try to think that I have the potential of one day getting to that point. Some days I'm more successful at believing that than others.

LukeSnyder

Gold Member
Does that question make you squirm a little? Is it hard to talk about your good points and how well you drum? Isn't is safer and more comfortable downing yourself?
Of course we all know that you don't want to be one of those types that go around gloating about how great they are. But if you were on trial, without boasting or anything, and you had to state the facts, do you think you are a good drummer? If so, what makes you good?

I'll start.

I suck

See ya!
I feel safe saying that I am a good drummer, all around. I have my definite weak areas (I've never really studied jazz or bop drumming, and I'm not particularly good with brushes) but I feel adequate in almost any other setting. I say this as a result of comparing myself as objectively as I can to many other drummers, and getting positive feedback from people who I think are qualified to give it. Of course, this is not something that I go around saying, and I feel like I need to contextualize the statement with a couple things: first, there are hundreds of thousands of drummers that are equal or greater than my ability; and also, I will NEVER be content with my playing.

The other thing that I have to mention is that the only reason I'm able to even reach the level that I am at now is because I have been so immensely blessed. My current situation allows me to devote an enormous amount of time towards music, and I know that very few people are so fortunate.

drummaman1

It is hard to say "good" because in one form or another it denotes finality. I'm good so therefore I am done, kind of thing.

I will say that I like what I provide to whatever musical context I happen to play in, and that I like my playing enough to want to pursue it to the highest level that I can.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Good is such a subjective term. How about good enough?
Same here. I'm apparently good enough to stay with an international recording and touring artist who puts me to the test on every new album and tour!

Bermuda

harryconway

Platinum Member
A good drummer. Under complimentary lighting, I could pass for one. And in Hollywood, I've been "mistaken" for some really good drummers.​
I'm just a hack drummer who's been fortunate enough to play with some really good musicians, for over 30 years.​