So, where are they built?..

Vandalay

There's probably a similar thread, but I was just curious if anyone can clarify where specific low-midlevel drums where built...correct me if I'm wrong..

I'm told that the lower end Gretsch, Mapex, Sonor, Ludwig, & Yamaha are all made in the same Chinese factory

Pearls are made in Indonesia..

Tamar's lower end is also made in China, but in their own factory, under their supervision

PDP's are made in Mexico..

Can anyone verify this?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Yamaha is China, not sure if it is the same factory though. If I was not working I could get the Pearl info too, I keep my manuals for everything.

T_Weaves

Silver Member
Sonor's asian lines and Mapex are made in the same KHS factory in China.
Gretsch's asian stuff is made in Taiwan. I'm pretty sure Tama has their own factory in China. Yamaha too.

I presume we're taking drums here as I'd be willing to bet that most companies get their hardware from the same place.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I presume we're taking drums here as I'd be willing to bet that most companies get their hardware from the same place.
I've heard that most of the drum hardware is pretty much by the same couple of companies.

Heck, I've even heard there are only one or two companies out there who make just about all of the steel instrument strings available. It's crazy to think that, but it may be true from what I understand.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
It's the same with a lot of the PA speaker parts. Yamaha and Peavey share handles and feet across some lines. EV and Yamaha share some woofers, the list goes on.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
PDP/Pacific maple drums were initially built in Mexico in the then-new DW/PDP manufacturing plant. All current manufacturing is from the Orient.

The Mexican-made maple drums (such as the CX/CXR and the LX/LXE Exotics) are regarded as being of exceptionally high quality.

GeeDeeEmm

https://youtu.be/tLXsrLY2ou0

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I'm told that the lower end Gretsch, Mapex, Sonor, Ludwig, & Yamaha are all made in the same Chinese factory
Not sure about Yamaha, but I'd believe the rest. Add DDrum and perhaps some others to the list as well.

Many of the name brand low-end kits have strikingly similar features.

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
Yamaha China factory makes RC, Hybrid, Live. Tour made by contractor in Taiwan. Stage made by a contractor in China.
This. And the top of the line, PHX is still made in Japan.

Most of the hardware comes from Reliance (Dixon, DW, Gibraltar etc) Yamaha uses its own Motor factory for the most of their hardware if im still correct.

Woolwich

Silver Member
I had one of the Premier Genista reissues a few years back. The owner of the local shop had worked closely with the Premier management of the time and he asked me which finish it was! When I told him he smiled and nodded his head saying that it was a good one because he knew which factory it must have come from!
So to add further mystery perhaps some manufacturers have similiar kits made in different factories. Possibly the wrapped Genistas were made in a different place to the lacquered finish ones, maybe different wood suppliers, different machinery, different levels of staff experience, because the finish was a launch one that became discontinued perhaps there was something about the early kits that didn’t transfer to the later ones? All supposition but it was new one on me.