So, when do I know I need to replace bass drum hoops?

topgun2021

Gold Member
I think mine are getting to the point where they are getting to warped to function correctly.

What should I do to determine when they are no longer worthy to be used?

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
Even if they're warped, they probably can be twisted into shape with the help of the tension from the bass drum claws. If they hold on a head and allow you to tension it evenly, you're good. If they're cracked in two, and still hold tension evenly, they can still be used.

If you accidently chip the paint or wrap on the underside where nobody can see it, then all is lost. Throw them away and buy new ones...

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
What are you doing to them?

I've never had to replace a hoop. Sure a replacement may be required if there's excessive damage. But they are not like heads that need to be swapped out regularly. All things being equal and provided they're not cracked or warped so badly you can't get them back on evenly, they should last the life of the drums.

How has this happened?

topgun2021

Gold Member
I don't think the hoop is THAT bad at this moment. It is just when I lay it on it's side it seems super warped and when on the drum itself. There is about 1/4 - 1/2 separation between hoop and head at some places.

This may be due to the environment of my basement.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I think mine are getting to the point where they are getting to warped to function correctly.

Perhaps when you can no longer tune the drum to your satisfaction. As others have said, you might be able to put it straight when you install it and that might be good for the next few years. But if it really bugs you, you can replace it whenever you want. I'd look at yoour environment though if you're concerned about where it lives. If that's indeed the case, your next hoop will start warping too.

Netz Ausg

Silver Member
I don't think the hoop is THAT bad at this moment. It is just when I lay it on it's side it seems super warped and when on the drum itself. There is about 1/4 - 1/2 separation between hoop and head at some places.

This may be due to the environment of my basement.
Get your basement sorted or get your drums out of there!

P33v3

Depends on how warped. If they are our of round, cracked splitting, or overly warped to where you can't tune them well, then it is time to replace.

Zickos

Gold Member
When you carry your drum kit on top of the tour bus and the retaining strap breaks and the bass drum falls off and as it hits the ground the rims come loose and get run over in the oncoming traffic and splinter into a thousand pieces, then it's time to replace them. Otherwise, not so much.

Les Ismore

Platinum Member

Wooden bass drum hoops are basically an afterthought. None of them are rigid enough to ensure even tuning. You can take any wooden bass drum hoop and easily twist it in your hands, easily.

So even if slightly warped, a wooden hoop when tensioned on the drum is not going to matter, they'll find their own due to how flexible they are.

Everybody snides at metal hoops being cheap, but they're way better when it comes to bass drum integrity, ease of tuning and overall sound compared to wood hoops.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
If you can't get out of your basement, maybe some de-humidifiers? Insulation? Something should probably be done to make the basement more like the rest of the house so your drums don't suffer. Maybe a portable space-heater to just keep the temperature constant.

Soupy

Silver Member
Bo, the thIng about basements is that they are naturally constant. The temperature and humidity wont change much. If the drums live down in the basement full-time, it's kind of a non-issue. Frequent or large swings in humidity are bad, steady conditions not so much.

If they're coming and going from a damp basement through dry winter air, that's different. But a basement can't really be that damp, else you'd have a big mold problem.

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
So, when do I know I need to replace bass drum hoops?

The short answer to this really is:

"If/when you have a lot of extra cash."