So was the DW Subwoofer a passing fancy?

Redbeard

I suppose the woofer itself would make a nice kick drum on those small gigs, as it's essentially just a shallow drum, correct?
Other than looking cool a la Alex Van Halen, what would be the ideal application for these: live, mic'ed or un-mic'ed, studio?

DrSticks

I have a 22x18" Dw and last year i bought a 23x15". It have been my nº1 since that . Big sound , faster than the 22"punchy ,i love it. This week i found a woofer matching my 22"Exotic . I´m curious about how it sound , but i will never drill my Bass Drum and i´m sure i rarely use it live but... I bought it to use as a Gong Drum or large tom like Eric Moore, Mike Mangini, Thomas Lang ,Donati...... It´s a 8" deep so i can easily found a place for it and using it with a internal Beta 52 and a Moon Mic on the outside. 23" Drum heads are available at Remo and Dw factory heads.

Last edited:

Durbs

What's the opposite of one of these, where people (again, DW I think) have a "mini" drum in-front of the kick, like a 12" or something?

KamaK

Platinum Member
What's the opposite of one of these, where people (again, DW I think) have a "mini" drum in-front of the kick, like a 12" or something?
That's a sub-kick. It's basically a Yamaha NS10 speaker that is wired as a microphone. It's made to pick up low end frequencies that a small-diameter microphone cannot.

It's ultimately a friendly consumer re-packaging of an old "speaker as microphone" studio trick.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
I discovered that I don't get that much more out of a 24" that I do with a 22", so I've been sticking to 22" lately because it works. Because of this, personally, I don't think I'd get more out of the 23" that I'm not already getting from a 22".
Agreed. I have a Gretsch 22x20 "cannon kick" whose extra length splits the difference between the 24 and the 22. It still fits in a 22" case and gives me all the punch and boom I could want.
I don't see any 23" cases or heads for that DW drum at any drum shop I walk into. I'd love to play one, but I feel owning & gigging with it would be more trouble than it's worth.

DrSticks

Agreed. I have a Gretsch 22x20 "cannon kick" whose extra length splits the difference between the 24 and the 22. It still fits in a 22" case and gives me all the punch and boom I could want.
I don't see any 23" cases or heads for that DW drum at any drum shop I walk into. I'd love to play one, but I feel owning & gigging with it would be more trouble than it's worth.
The 23x15 fits perfectly on my 22" ahead bag . For gigs i prefer the 23, even for the 3 inches less, i can’t imagine carrying a 22x20 , For the drumheads i don’t know what country you are living , i live in the south of europe and i can get a drumhead coming from 3000km in 4 days .

Attachments

MusiQmaN

Platinum Member
That's a sub-kick. It's basically a Yamaha NS10 speaker that is wired as a microphone. It's made to pick up low end frequencies that a small-diameter microphone cannot.

It's ultimately a friendly consumer re-packaging of an old "speaker as microphone" studio trick.
To add. It is a custom speaker specially made for the SKRM.

32F49A82-530F-45B5-93E6-E43A6A9406DB.jpeg

Last edited:

KamaK

Platinum Member
To add. It is a custom speaker specially made for the SKRM.
Indeed.

Also a good read
TLDR: The subkick doesn't do what you are lead (even intuitively) to believe it does... It doesn't capture the LF of the BD. It is basically an analog air pressure sensor that vibrates at it's own resonant frequency.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
The 23x15 fits perfectly on my 22" ahead bag . For gigs i prefer the 23, even for the 3 inches less, i can’t imagine carrying a 22x20 , For the drumheads i don’t know what country you are living , i live in the south of europe and i can get a drumhead coming from 3000km in 4 days .
The US.
The 20" length does take up a bit more stage real estate, but I compensate by sitting further back.