So there's no such thing as an 11" tom...

Soupy

Silver Member
Like every drummer, I've been thinking about getting more drums. And I've been thinking about sizes. I like 16" for a floor tom, but am not as sold on 12 and 13 on the rack. Could go 12 and 14, but I don't want to go 1 up/2 down, and I'm not sure about using 14" rack toms (though I have an 11x13 tom now, so I don't know that 10x14 or 11x14 would be that different) .

So brilliant that I am, I think, well, what about 11/13/16? Gives a little wider spread on the tuning range than you get between 12 and 13, without making that leap to a 10" tom. An 11" diameter, 9-10" deep tom could be awesome.

They don't exist. As far as I can tell, nobody makes 11" toms. Google doesn't give me results. Checked some web sites, don't see Ludwig or Mapex making such an offer (in Classic Maples and Saturns, at least). Keller doesn't even list 11" shells, drummaker doesn't have shells or rims in 11". So that pretty much nixes that.

I have to admit to being a little bummed. Seemed like a great idea.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
The 11 inch tom never really caught on.
A few makers did make some back when.

I like a 13 if I am only using one rack tom.
I like a 10 and 12 if I am playing a 5 piece kit.
I rarely use my 14 inch rack tom.
I do like a 14 inch floor though.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Tama made an 11" tom in the Grandstar line at the end of the 80's.

But the idea never caught on, and was eventually discontinued.
And as you have noticed, no one has made an 11" since.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
80s Tamas, which have been mentioned. Before that, they were only found on REALLY old drums, like 40s Radio Kings.

What next? Is somebody going to come up with something ridiculous and unneeded like a 23" bass drum? ;)

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
@ Caddy, hahah! Hilarious!

Actually, I always thought a 21" BD would be cool. but sadly, that does not answer the OP's question/

-Jonathan

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
80s Tamas, which have been mentioned. Before that, they were only found on REALLY old drums, like 40s Radio Kings.

What next? Is somebody going to come up with something ridiculous and unneeded like a 23" bass drum? ;)
Isn't that what Neil Peart is playing? They made a big deal about it in one of the issues of Rhythm - the one with Tony Williams on the cover. DW made a 23" bass drum. Sheeesh....

uniin

Gold Member
just go 10~12~16.

the 12-16 progression is really nice. can be tuned an octave apart if you're picky.

also if you wanted you could get a 14x8 rack tom.

i love 14x8 drums. vinnie paul signature, and a lot of fun rack/floor toms are this size

Last edited:

ChrisCirino

Well here it is in the flesh, the elusive 10,11,12 combo. I bought this Tama Granstar set new in 1992. Contrary to the many cries of it "could only happen in the 80s", I believe Tama only made the 11" form 90-94? And yes 11" drumheads were hard to find back then. More importantly I could discern no significant difference between the 11" and it's 10"/12" counterparts and have been playing an 8, 10, 14 or a 10, 12, 16 combo ever since.

Attachments

kissarmyfreak

I currently play a Custom 23"x 26" bass drum. I really sounds wonderful!

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member

I would like to see all drums come in one-inch increments on depth and diameter, from 6 all the way to whatever people will buy. I think it would be really cool to have the ability to go in one-inch increments on size. If people will buy enough of it to be profitable, manufacturers will sell it. Manufacturers like sticking with few sizes, as it simplifies production.

To the OP, you could still have a custom tom made in 11 inches and painted to match whatever you have. It might be expensive but it would be worth it if that's what you need.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Well here it is in the flesh, the elusive 10,11,12 combo. I bought this Tama Granstar set new in 1992. Contrary to the many cries of it "could only happen in the 80s", I believe Tama only made the 11" form 90-94?
You know this is possible.

Many things that happened in 1990 and even early 1991 tend to get lumped into "the 80's" in my memory.

Because, musically, the 80's continued through 1991, until Nirvana broke big and 80's music officially ended. And 1991 is when I moved to LA the 1st time, so things I recall happening before the move must have been in the 80's, which technically, it could have been 1990.

Anyhow, I know then Tama introduced the 11", the store I worked at ordered a small handful of 11" Remo pinstripes in anticipation of the 11" catching on, but no one ever bought the heads we had.