So Many Cymbals!

Need a bit of Help choosing some cymbals, got about a £450 budget, preferably sabian.
I play rock, thought about B8's but not really sure.

Thanks in advance

bonzolead

Platinum Member
Need a bit of Help choosing some cymbals, got about a £450 budget, preferably sabian.

Thanks in advance
if sabian is what you prefer I'd get the AAX series or if you want to save a little money look at the XS series the best "cheap" cymbals out there IMO & i'm a Zildjian guy.

Bonzolead

Cottontop

Buy used, you save a lot of money for a much better quality cymbal.
For example: Last month I bought a pair of $360 Zildjian K/Z hats for $150, and they sound great.

jofizzm

Used is the way to go mate. I'd stay away from the sabian B8s, I have a 20in ride and it's pretty bad, but that's me...

D

DSCRAPRE

I was going to make a website on buying cymbals for the first time because this question gets asked on here so much. But as usual I agree with everybody here so far, don't get the B8s. Not worth it. Research the professional cymbals and seek those types out used. Ebay and Craigslist are good to look at. Used sections at music stores are great because you can try out the exact cymbals you may buy.

If you HAVE to go new, check out Sabian Xs20 and Paiste Alpha, they are good lines at decent prices. I've also heard good things about Wuhan's New Traditional line so those may be worth investigating.

RESIST the temptation to get a shiny new set of low end crappy cymbals like B8s, ZBTs, or ZHTs. Companies love to push those things on new players who they think aren't smart enough to look elsewhere.

Good luck, and visit this forum a lot, it's the best Drum Site on the web!

EDIT: I just converted your pounds to dollars (still kinda rusty on that concept). Oh yeah, you can get some good stuff used for that much money. I got top of the line A Ziljdian cymbals, hats, a crash and a ride for much less than that used. Happy shopping!

Ainulindale

Gold Member
Sabians?... rocknroll?...take a look at the Paragon's, Raw Bell Dry Rides (in particular the HHX, very nice) and the Xplosion crashes, the Xcelarator and Groove Hats are also great, the AA and AAX series are gonna be a little cheaper, but with some great sounds yet, good luck!

braincramp

Gold Member
If you really like the B8 formula sound and Sabian brand you could move up to the APX line its the same fomula but a little more $$... its a semi-pro line...I prefer the paiste Alpha's over any budget B8 cymbals though

if sabian is what you prefer I'd get the AAX series or if you want to save a little money look at the XS series the best "cheap" cymbals out there IMO & i'm a Zildjian guy.

Bonzolead
Thanks, I think Ill get a XS20 cymbal set, they sound good and their in my budget, so I might be able to buy a china or another crash

Andy

Administrator
Staff member

Thanks in advance
If you're prepared to think outside of the box, you can get serious hand made top end pro cymbals for your budget. There's so much more out there than budget offerings from the big 3 companies. Turkey is the home of fine artisan cymbal making, and there's a number of companies offering superb instruments that don't carry the price tag of big company marketing budgets. I guess you're in the UK. If you're interested in finding out more, PM me, and I'll put you in touch with someone who can make this happen. You won't regret it! Why buy budget stamped brass when you can buy beautiful instruments that will blow the top end stuff from the big 3 into the long grass?

redsky20

With that kind of budget I would highly recommend staying away from the B8's as you can get a much better deal for that money! As everyone always says time and time again, buying used cymbals is often the way to go, but even if you want to avoid this, you could get higher grade cymbal packs for around that price (Sabian XS20) or maybe a wee bit more (Sabian AA and AAX).

alparrott

Platinum Member
+1 on trying everything under the sun, not just Sabian or the Big Three. Why limit yourself? Side benefit: Usually other companies are as good or better sounding for cheaper (I'm thinking Dream, Wuhan, etc.)

Also: You talk about mix and matching as if it's some sort of sin, that is mostly brainwashing from the cymbal companies. You can put any mix of cymbals on your kit you want, as long as it pleases the ear, and you'll probably have a lot more fun doing it too.

Coldhardsteel

Gold Member
If you're looking for rock cymbals and have as much money as you do, see what there is in store for you from Paiste. They have plenty of B8 lines, but unlike the other B8's offered from other companies, they're cast from blanks and hammered differently, giving them a much higher level of sound quality.

Paiste is generally considered more expensive, which is the only pitfall I know about their cymbals, but you definitely get what you pay for. Looking for used cymbals, especially with this company, is a great idea.

Check out the 2002 and Giant Beat series.