So I've got the use of a zoom H5......

Steve.B

Guys,
Ive got the use of a zoom H5 to record rehearsals and a few local live shows....but I never realised how much user input there is on this thing.
I imagined id set it up press record and that would be it.
So can anyone give me some basic pointers as to the settings I might need for recording rock music, and also once I've stopped recording, what happens then, how do i get it off the machine onto the laptop, save and share with other folks.
Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Steve B

OSDrums

I‘m using the H5 for exact that thing and here is my workflow and settings:

Settings on the H5:
Record mode 44.1kHz, 24 Bit
Input Limiter off
Gain Setting on the XY mic: short under 2

I record the whole rehearsal without any stop. Back at home I transfer the wave file(s) to my DAW by taking out the SD card and put it into the PCs cardreader. Then I import the files into Samplitude and cut everything away I don’t need (discussions, wrong beginnings etc.). I set markers for each song and name them. Samplitude uses this as metadata when exporting to mp3 files. I apply normalisation to the parts, EQ, compression and a slight amount of reverb to the master bus. The export runs as a batch Job automatically. I share the mp3 files with the band using a cloud drive.

Now, if you don’t want to have the postpro you could also record in mp3 mode and use the automarker/auto record feature of the H5. Basically it starts a new mp3 file at a given threshold. I never tried this... you could also manually start and stop the H5 with the remote (if you have it). Too much hassle for me...

Last edited:

Steve.B

I‘m using the H5 for exact that thing and here is my workflow and settings:

Settings on the H5:
Record mode 44.1kHz, 24 Bit
Input Limiter off
Gain Setting on the XY mic: short under 2

I record the whole rehearsal without any stop. Back at home I transfer the wave file(s) to my DAW by taking out the SD card and put it into the PCs cardreader. Then I import the files into Samplitude and cut everything away I don’t need (discussions, wrong beginnings etc.). I set markers for each song and name them. Samplitude uses this as metadata when exporting to mp3 files. I apply normalisation to the parts, EQ, compression and a slight amount of reverb to the master bus. The export runs as a batch Job automatically. I share the mp3 files with the band using a cloud drive.

Now, if you don’t want to have the postpro you could also record in mp3 mode and use the automarker/auto record feature of the H5. Basically it starts a new mp3 file at a given threshold. I never tried this... you could also manually start and stop the H5 with the remote (if you have it). Too much hassle for me...
Thanks for your advice, should make things easier for a start....some of your explanation i don't quite understand, would it be ok to pm you to get a bit more detail?

Steve B