So I'm gonna try it!

M

Matt Bo Eder

Now that I have a huge kit with a 26" bass drum and large power toms in my life (again), as comical as it would be to do a gig with that kit and not be seen behind it, it has given me pause to consider actually experimenting with making my playing a lot more comfortable and ergonomical.

So I bought a righty double pedal today and when the kit is ready, I'm going to try the Abe Laboriel Jr. set-up. I've watched him play countless times like this and it just seems to make sense. I do like the sound of the huge bass drum, but it would be so uncomfortable to play with everything mounted on it, Abe has found a better way.

All those years of either sitting too high, or having to throw myself in certain directions to get to things. I'm rather excited to give the outrigger pedal a try. So when the kit is done and I receive the pedal, I'll let you guys know how it works out.

I'm not a big fan of little drums anymore and like deep and loud drums. So the idea makes sense. Is anyone already doing this? Other than Abe?

Sounds like a good plan!
I like the idea of an offset bass drum. But I'd be worried about having enough space on the stage.

The one thing that strikes me as strange is, you and other drummers say things like "I'm going to try and Gig with this or that kit". What gigs will you be doing that will require a kit like this Matt? Seems to me that the type of gig you are going to be playing at should dictate the kind of drum setup you need. Are you playing a stadium gig?

I thought about doing something like that a while back, mostly for ergonomics.

But I play a 20" bass drum now and it just isn't necessary. If I ever go to a 24" for whatever reason, I would probably consider it.

You're lucky though...playing left-handed, you can find the double pedal you need for that set-up just about everywhere.

Sounds like a good plan!
I like the idea of an offset bass drum. But I'd be worried about having enough space on the stage.

The one thing that strikes me as strange is, you and other drummers say things like "I'm going to try and Gig with this or that kit". What gigs will you be doing that will require a kit like this Matt? Seems to me that the type of gig you are going to be playing at should dictate the kind of drum setup you need. Are you playing a stadium gig?

Absolutely NONE of my gigs require a 26" bass drum and SIX toms. That said, other than worrying about bandstand space (which I don't think will be a problem) I just think maybe I'll approach what limited gigs I do with more of a "showman" approach. I akin this theory to the time John Bonham took a friend's full guitar stack (8 speakers) and built eight cabinets and put one speaker in each. It's the appearance that made the whole thing louder and more rockin', right?

So after years of being semi-conservative and showing up with the absolute bare minimum and wowing people with my formidable technique (or not), what if I tried that the other way too? Show up with big stuff, play the same, and see how much more people not-in-the-know are impressed.

But I do hear you. Even if I just did a 4-piece set-up with the outrigger pedal, my set-up becomes physically wider than normal. For the foreseeable future, most gigs are on the floor, so I'm not worried about taking up bandstand space. I'll see how the band reacts though.

I thought about doing something like that a while back, mostly for ergonomics.

But I play a 20" bass drum now and it just isn't necessary. If I ever go to a 24" for whatever reason, I would probably consider it.

You're lucky though...playing left-handed, you can find the double pedal you need for that set-up just about everywhere.

Yeah - I just found a really nice slightly used Yamaha Flying Dragon double pedal. Those pedals always intrigued me so for the price I thought I'd try it. You still can't touch a used DW5002 for under $250, and I know the Yamaha is just as good. So I'm looking forward to the Flying Dragons!

Yeah - I just found a really nice slightly used Yamaha Flying Dragon double pedal.

Flying Dragon !?...... LOL
Never heard of this one. Great name.

Yeah, use those Flying Dragon pedals.
With those power toms, 26" bass drum and those Dragon pedals, you'll be a real fire breathing killer drummer !

Flying Dragon !?...... LOL
Never heard of this one. Great name.

Yeah, use those Flying Dragon pedals.
With those power toms, 26" bass drum and those Dragon pedals, you'll be a real fire breathing killer drummer !

Yeah, Yamaha's Flying Dragon pedals are like an industry secret, then they changed everything and created new stuff. But the Flying Dragons were Yamaha's top flight gear at one point. And I've always liked them - they look like beefier FP7210 pedals you can get at Musicians Friend for $69. Dual chain, the usual heavy duty stuff, a bent footplate which makes it more rigid. Good stuff.

Maybe I'll carry tiki torches too ;)

I like this line of thought.

I wish all drummers would bring the nice kit out of the basement once or twice a year. I've seen enough guys playing 4 piece garage sale 80's Exports and Rockers to last a life time. I remember the days I could walk into the local bar and I knew which drummer was playing from the drum set that was set up.

Enough of the minimalist crap. Let's see the big unique kits again! I miss the days when every drummer played a unique setup. To me that's part of the showmanship of the band. (I went to a lot of hair metal concerts in the 80's! To me I always loved the unveiling of the monster drum kits)

Do it Bo! Start a new trend.

I like this line of thought.

I wish all drummers would bring the nice kit out of the basement once or twice a year. I've seen enough guys playing 4 piece garage sale 80's Exports and Rockers to last a life time. I remember the days I could walk into the local bar and I knew which drummer was playing from the drum set that was set up.

Enough of the minimalist crap. Let's see the big unique kits again! I miss the days when every drummer played a unique setup. To me that's part of the showmanship of the band. (I went to a lot of hair metal concerts in the 80's! To me I always loved the unveiling of the monster drum kits)

Do it Bo! Start a new trend.
Definitely! Actually, I've always brought out my expensive stuff. I've had cheap kits but they don't sound as good. Besides, why do you have the nice stuff anyway? I refuse to keep my stuff in a museum, it's an injustice.

I had a guitarist working here at Disneyland who uses his $10k Martin guitar daily to play, stating my same reasoning. But then there is his brother who only uses his cheap Bundy clarinet there and only pulls out his super high-end clarinet for important stuff.

Holy Crap, 26"?!

I played on a kit with a 22" BD the other day and it felt enormous! Granted I usually play an 18...

Bo, I've been using the double Flying Dragon pedals for years and I love them. They're an unsung hero in my eyes. Great pedal.

Bo, I've been using the double Flying Dragon pedals for years and I love them. They're an unsung hero in my eyes. Great pedal.

I am looking forward to them. I saw them years ago and I thought they were extremely solid.

Holy Crap, 26"?!

I played on a kit with a 22" BD the other day and it felt enormous! Granted I usually play an 18...

I've had a 26 before too. It's a great size. I won't go smaller than a 22 these days. And if the outrigger pedal really works for me, I may never have to play 22 ever ;)

I've got a double Flying Dragon hooked up to an e-pad. Nice pedals.

I would use a 26" bass drum (or 30 or larger, for that matter),
but I would use it with only a snare and a floor tom.

A 30 Slingerland: http://www.musicgoround.com/p/504777/used-slingerland-30x16-concert-bass-drum

Some spurs and this would be a nice 36" Ludwig bass:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Lud...208201?hash=item2cac3c8449:g:S1YAAOSwKfVXLiyy

I wouldn't try to use them with toms though.

The offset thing would probably work if you had enough space for it.

Holy Crap, 26"?!

The inspiration for Bo's setup, Abe Laboriel Jr, uses a 28x20. I read that he doesn't need his mix in the monitors because his drums are so loud.

How about it Bo? Gonna get yourself a 28"?

The inspiration for Bo's setup, Abe Laboriel Jr, uses a 28x20. I read that he doesn't need his mix in the monitors because his drums are so loud.

How about it Bo? Gonna get yourself a 28"?

Not sure. Those are HUGE. Years ago I took two Scotch bass drums (28") and bolted them together to make a 28x20 drum for a friend. He was taller than me and didn't use it much!

Not sure. Those are HUGE. Years ago I took two Scotch bass drums (28") and bolted them together to make a 28x20 drum for a friend. He was taller than me and didn't use it much!

I know, I just bought one. Yeesus Kreesus, such rumble, such massiveness. I like the portability of my 20" but the sounds from these bigger drums just cannot be beat.

Now go leave a comment in my thread so people will think I'm cool.

Hmmm... 26" kick and keeping it all tight and compact. It's so easy. Get rid of the toms, play only bassdrum and snare. :-D

Never ever in my life would I want to play a 26" or 24" bassdrum...

I have been looking around, I just added a second (18") floor tom and a 13" rack to replace my 11" - the 26" (Virgin) has been a goal for a while now. I never thought I would have another Frankenkit at this point in my life. But it always seems to go there.

Another idea was to pick up a 24" and go double with 20" but....

I know, I just bought one. Yeesus Kreesus, such rumble, such massiveness. I like the portability of my 20" but the sounds from these bigger drums just cannot be beat.

Now go leave a comment in my thread so people will think I'm cool.

I saw your thread, http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132020
but forgot to comment.

That's how I would set them up.
Not that I would ever get a bass drum that big - ha ha.

Back