So I want to try the cotton balls thing, but...

opentune

Platinum Member
If need be, why not just tape som dampening outside on to the bottom head (i.e. tissue, foam) ?
If the cotton ball method fails, you then have to undo a head.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
I find the cotton balls don’t change or degrade the tone or resonance of the floor tom, they just make the fundamental note decay for two seconds instead of five. They fly up on impact, leaving the initial attack intact, unlike tape or moongel.

Interestingly, if the tom is perfectly level, the cotton balls arrange themselves in a star formation across the bottom head, showing the vibrational nodes.

yammyfan

If taking the head off is sooooo problemataic, I can see why so many have trouble with tuning. Practice makes perfect, people!
This is what makes the Tune-Bot especially great. Don't want to lose the great sound you have found? Record your settings first!

Last edited:

Armor of Light

I find the cotton balls don’t change or degrade the tone or resonance of the floor tom, they just make the fundamental note decay for two seconds instead of five. They fly up on impact, leaving the initial attack intact, unlike tape or moongel.

Interestingly, if the tom is perfectly level, the cotton balls arrange themselves in a star formation across the bottom head, showing the vibrational nodes.
Well now...I'm intrigued! I may just have to experiment.

Ghostin one

Neato! That reminds me that when marimba and xylophone bars are made, salt or sand is put on top of the bar when struck, and the salt accumulates where the nodes are, so it's easy to see where the cord holes should be drilled.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
I tested cotton balls but found that if I add too much then the tom goes too dead. I think I'll try a piece of string through the grommet hole. The string may be pulled back out if I use too much.

Captain Bash

Silver Member
It’s really simple, big drum big balls, small drum small balls (e.g. 10” tom no balls, 12 or 13 tom one small ball, 16“ floor big balls). I regularly use adult diapers / nappies to control my own and my kick drums seepage. Now I can just sit back on my throne and let things flow. I am also a fan of evans/remo/pantaloon hosiery based dampening system. However they haven’t yet given me an endorsement deal.

BabaOriley

Maybe there isn't that much difference in decay between using 5, 10, or 15 cotton balls? I'll let you know what I find. Please excuse me and my "first world problems". I appreciate finding any time to spend on drum stuff because I'm usually living on the road 6 days a week for my job. I guess I was trying to think about how I might spend 2 hours to experiment with it rather than 10. I'll post what I find. Gonna try that string thing too. Thanks. Actually, I'm thinking that thick but soft fluffy yarn might work really well too. Would be adjustable.

single-ply

I use and highly recommend the snarewieght M-1 leather clip. I keep one on my floor toms. It’s totally adjustable or you can flip it up for no dampening. They are well worth the 15 bucks or so.