So I listened to a band this weekend...

Spreggy

Silver Member
well, you're playing low-denominator covers for people that wouldn't pay to see you otherwise, for starters

nothing wrong with that, but hardly a solid base for determining the future of music
lol, what a twat. Come on chief, give us your links to how you're determining the future of music. :ROFLMAO:

C.M. Jones

Whilst this is true on many levels, there may be other considerations.

I play a compact 6 piece in my regular gig. I tried a 4 piece in the same gig a few years back. I lived with it for a few months, but I wasn't happy. For sure, I could play the set no issue, & with the same number of notes, but it neither felt the same, nor delivered the same soundscape.

It was the band members who aired this before I did, but I was already in the same space. I reverted to the 6 piece.

I concede my skill level probably held back my ability to adjust more wholesomely, but there was no way of getting around the lack of voices available. I doubt the audience ever picked up on the difference, or at least, wouldn't identify it's source, but the band did, & so did I.

I will add, I'm very comfortable on a 4 piece kit. I've played 4 piece by choice in many settings, but it wasn't the optimum choice in this setting, & with this player.
I do understand that others may find a four-piece setup limiting for one reason or another. As I point out above, double-bass players and those who seek a spectrum of tom tones probably won't find a four-piece satisfactory. When I write, "If I can't play it on a four-piece, I don't need to play it at all," my emphasis is on the pronoun "I." I'm referring chiefly to the styles of music I play and the manner in which I orient my drumming to those styles. I've found that adapting parts to a four-piece is more efficient than adding drums to my kit and that such adaptations pose no crippling ramifications, but again, I testify only for myself in this case. Each drummer must assess his or her applications and appoint his or her kit accordingly.

jimb

and also remember that "killing it at a wedding" is a pretty low threshold for starting a cultural revolution

Totally disagree. I did a 50th birthday party in a garden in a posh part of town, marquee the works but the band were under rehearsed and not good at all....AND it was noticed and commented on...goodness knows what was said but it did us no good at all. As far as Im concerned if your booked for a wedding which is a huge day for the bride etc then you better be together cause they'll notice...drunk or not.
Crticism of the performance...does not feel good at all.

someguy01

which is a huge day for the bride
Ruin her day with bad music, I dare any of you.
A stay at Guantanamo would look more appealing than enduring the wrath of a displeased bride.
I would never scoff at a wedding gig.

brentcn

Platinum Member
You could easily do a wedding with just BD snare and hi hat.
Are you kidding?! As long as you were fine with it being your LAST wedding gig. You'd probably only get paid half, too.

Just because a non-musician isn't specifically aware that parts of your kit are missing, doesn't mean they don't know that something is wrong.

And every time another musician in the band is expecting to hear a floor tom, or a ride, or a crash, but they don't -- they are being made to feel less comfortable on the bandstand. This is not good for your career.
Think about any dance house mix/old skool disco groove and there is barely any cymbal or kit work....its all thud thud thud.
Charlie Watts

There's a lot more on a wedding band's set list than disco and Rolling Stones. On the last few gigs, there wasn't any of those.

well, you're playing low-denominator covers for people that wouldn't pay to see you otherwise, for starters

nothing wrong with that, but hardly a solid base for determining the future of music

I've been in a band that sold tickets, that also played weddings. It's not that rare. If you've got a spare $20,000 or so, you can book a nationally touring act for a private party or wedding. It happens.

Contributing to a cultural tradition that associates live music with weddings is actually a great way to determine the future of music. Younger generations are being encouraged to hire local musicians, and it's actually very important. Musicians with big name gigs (but not fame) regularly play weddings while not on the road. The wedding industry is subsidizing the touring industry. Much of the younger crowd have never seen a band outside of an arena or giant festival. Many cannot tell a trumpet from a trombone.

Also, many touring acts will add players (horn, wind, and stringed instruments, usually) to the band that are local to the area. Those players are doing weddings in between those gigs.

By all means, go and set the world on fire with your art. But don't slag wedding bands. Or covers, because you play those, too. The second time you play an original song, you're playing a cover.