So I just got back from a block party...

brianbags

My neighbor comes up to me and says "So what are you training for?" (AWKWARD)

It wasn't in a rude way, she's a nice lady but...I was just a little shocked. I'd say there's about 10-20 yards between my basement window and the side of their house, and I never even THOUGHT that they could be able to hear my drums. Didn't even cross my mind. She says it doesn't bother them and all they hear is "boom boom boom" but really. That HAS to be annoying, especially with how much I play.

So now I'm extremely paranoid afraid to play again. Are there any options here?

If they said that it doesn't bother them, then I wouldn't worry about it. In general, people have no qualms about letting you know if your drums are too loud ;) Play away!
Alright thanks...I'm just so confused...I wouldn't have said anything if I were them...

I'd say there a couple of options!

1: practice softer
2: move your practice area to the basement if you have one
3: Do some soundproofing.
4: Be thankful she's not complaining or calling the cops on you

+1 to Luke. I wouldn't worry about it, if she wasn't complaining.

Maybe she was just making conversation? Within a week of me getting my drums both of the immediate neighbors asked me about it, but just conversationally, they weren't complaining. They haven't said anything since (and I play a lot too).

Maybe just try to avoid playing really early or really late just to be on the safe side (I won't play the kit before 11am or after 9pm for example).

I'd say there a couple of options!

1: practice softer
2: move your practice area to the basement if you have one
3: Do some soundproofing.
4: Be thankful she's not complaining or calling the cops on you

Soundproofing would be the only option there. But I think the window is the main problem and I obviously I can't block that for safety reasons.

+1 to Luke. I wouldn't worry about it, if she wasn't complaining.

Maybe she was just making conversation? Within a week of me getting my drums both of the immediate neighbors asked me about it, but just conversationally, they weren't complaining. They haven't said anything since (and I play a lot too).

Maybe just try to avoid playing really early or really late just to be on the safe side (I won't play the kit before 11am or after 9pm for example).

She certainly could have just been making conversation. But then again that might have been just a polite way of telling me they can hear. I was really shocked and didn't really give her the best conversation after that...

Good idea with the times. I'll definitely stick to that.

Yeah, soundproofing is the way to go.
You can make a plug for the window out of soundproofing material just a tiny bit smaller (maybe 1/4 inch squared) than the dimentions of the window that will push snugly into the window cutout.
Just Google the "How to".

That was going to be my suggestion for the window as well.

So you can't play any softer than you already are to reduce the sound?

Be sure and not play too late. You don't want to keep them up. My wife won't let me play after 8:00 because my studio is next to my neighbors bed room.

Get some "Sound Off" pads for each drum. Continue jamming. I they bi*^h and moan after that....................like my upstairs neighbor just did, then reveal plan #2. In my case....I will still "practice" my drums in my condo but our band will rehearse at my bass players house.

Back