So I got a DW9000 single pedal

Oh, but it's so pretty. Everyone knows that's worth big $$$! Normally one would say you'd have to recoup the development, cost of CNC machine and manufacturing costs, but I'm sure Uncle Good had a few of those CNC machines already. Not knocking the pedal. I actually refuse to try it. I don't want it to be something I end up really liking, then spend months figuring out how to get it.
Well, considering the 9000 will cost you $350, another $150 will get you to the MDD pedal. So mentally, DW has marketed correctly so everyone can justify spending that much. But I think their biggest ploy on the MDD is the direct drive, so people in that market have no where else to go for the ultimate direct drive pedal. It’s probably working.

Well, considering the 9000 will cost you $350, another $150 will get you to the MDD pedal. So mentally, DW has marketed correctly so everyone can justify spending that much. But I think their biggest ploy on the MDD is the direct drive, so people in that market have no where else to go for the ultimate direct drive pedal. It’s probably working.
I like direct drive pedals. I still have my 9500D. Yamaha's new pedal isn't too far off of DWs either. No harm in marketing something and getting your price if people are buying it. It doesn't cost all that much more to produce a luxury car than base, but people will pay a premium and are happy to do so. I see no reason for the pedal to cost less if folks are buying them. I just know when to stay away, if I don't want to fixate on something for months on end. o_O

The newer 5000 pedals have the rubber bottom and three contact hoop clamp also. Wish they would add those to the 3000 pedal but I'll probably upgrade to the 9000 in the near future.

Bo can you describe the differences you feel between chain and strap drive?

I have a hard time seeing how the feel could change that much, so your opinion would help.
Yes a strap drive is smoother, no chain links to roll through, yet prone to stretch overtime and lose its elasticity.
A chain is less smooth as it’s more rigid.

Direct drive linkage is where it’s at - you know Pearl has those demonators.

I've used three pedals in my short drumming career (started in 1975). I started with a Slingerland Tempo King pedal with the leather strap. It was ok. I then went with a Ludwig Speed King and used that for many many years. Something inside the frame went wrong with it which negatively impacted the action. I didn't feel capable or adventurous enough to fix it so I decided a new pedal was in order. I ended up with the DW7000 double pedal. I had always thought of learning how to play double bass so i figured it would be a good purchase. And it has been. I really love the action and how easily it is to adjust the tension. Unfortunately I'm still learning how to use them both. Progress at my age is slow. So, with my limited experience with so few pedals, I can definitely say that DW makes a darn nice pedal.

Well, for the fierce DW loyalists, that’s where they have to go.

Ah yes, for the indoctrinated, they have no other choice. ;)

you know Pearl has those demonators.

But Mr. Good didn't travel to Guinea to hand select the bauxite himself, so those are inferior. ?

I kid. I played DW5000 singles (strap and chain) for years and really liked them. In fact, for some reason, I still have one of each.

Ah yes, for the indoctrinated, they have no other choice. ;)

But Mr. Good didn't travel to Guinea to hand select the bauxite himself, so those are inferior. ?

I kid. I played DW5000 singles (strap and chain) for years and really liked them. In fact, for some reason, I still have one of each.
Yes he’d find a material to write off his vacation as an expense.

Though I do like his taste in selection, if it were me it would be exotic woods like Lake Havasu citrus or a mesquite/mimosa blend series from the pastures adjacent to my grandmas from Texas.

Though I do like his taste in selection, if it were me it would be exotic woods like Lake Havasu citrus or a mesquite/mimosa blend series from the pastures adjacent to my grandmas from Texas.

Ah yes..... Lake Havasu citrus has a nice warm tone that most drummers desire. And with mesquite/mimosa you have to get the blend and ply orientation just right otherwise the sustain falls flat on it's face.

I’m still waiting for his selection of WWII Pearl Harbor Driftwood for a kit ?

Yessr that wood has sailed - even Gokstad, Oseberg, and Noah’s ark ship woods still aren’t safe, up north there’s a file this big that ... nevermind?

The Cottonwood collection is on deck. He just needs to find his spot.

Seriously, I have always loved the DW Scandinavian Ice Birch wood, the name is equally marketable, and congratulations on your new pedal Mr. Eder, it really is a gem of hardware.

Yessr that wood has sailed - even Gokstad, Oseberg, and Noah’s ark ship woods still aren’t safe, up north there’s a file this big that ... nevermind?

The Cottonwood collection is on deck. He just needs to find his spot.

Seriously, I have always loved the DW Scandinavian Ice Birch wood, the name is equally marketable, and congratulations on your new pedal Mr. Eder, it really is a gem of hardware.
It feels great and has all the upgraded options I installed on the 5000s. So I guess I didn’t really upgrade - but I do like how my pedals now match the new badges (black lettering on silver) - so I can be shallow ?

My kids eat a lot of popsicles in the summer; wonder what Mr. Good could make me with the leftover sticks?

Man those 9000s are pricey; wonder how durable they are over the long haul? My IC has lasted 20 years; for me to drop that kind of coin on a pedal, well, that better be it for a while (according to the wife). Never really messed around with settings or played one seriously, but the ones I tried did feel nice in the shop. The IC is feeling heavy lately; not sure if it’s me getting older but something lighter would be nice.

Last edited:
It feels great and has all the upgraded options I installed on the 5000s. So I guess I didn’t really upgrade - but I do like how my pedals now match the new badges (black lettering on silver) - so I can be shallow ?
Yes I got you, it’s now cosmetic arrangements.
You have a pic of the kit with these shoes?

My kids eat a lot of popsicles in the summer; wonder what Mr. Good could make me with the leftover sticks?

Man those 9000s are pricey; wonder how durable they are over the long haul? My IC has lasted 20 years; for me to drop that kind of coin on a pedal, well, that better be it for a while (according to the wife). Never really messed around with settings or played one seriously, but the ones I tried did feel nice in the shop. The IC is feeling heavy lately; not sure if it’s me getting older but something lighter would be nice.
Well, I’ve owned 5000 pedals since 1982, so I would assume the 9000 would go much farther, although I’m not sure I’ll be playing into my 80s, but if this is my last pedal, I think I’ll be ok.

Back